Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 10:04   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Re-naming or not?

Some of us did, but are still mindful that there are spirits to be aware of, education should not be equated with lack of spiritual awareness.
Old 22-05-2015, 10:05   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I've renamed my first boat and my current boat (they were both lousy names). Twenty years later they are both still swimming.

I was also an earth scientist when employed and refuse to take superstition seriously. However, I'm willing to compromise if the superstition is used to justify a party!! 🍸🍸

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 16:09   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
................ still mindful that there are spirits to be aware of ...................
Oh yes, spirits! I totally forgot about the spirits. You'll hear no argument from me regarding being mindful of spirits.
Old 22-05-2015, 16:30   #19

Was docking and kicked a fender over the side and some how it wasn't attached to the boat, got it back and decided to celebrate, sounds like you have a much better excuse to throw a party!
captian ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 17:29   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svalan View Post
I wouldn't like to incur the wrath of Neptune.
Screw Neptune, he doesn't care about boat names! It isn't YOUR boat until it has the name YOU gave it!
Old 22-05-2015, 18:29   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

There's usually only a couple of times the boat name comes up. One is
When trying to spell it to marinas, customs etc, the other is when other boaters ask what the name means. So whatever is easier to spell and has a decent reason works..
I named my yacht aires because it's my wife's star sign and a star ancient mariners used to navigate by, or..
It's the German word for swallow, the bird, not the thing you do with pizza and beer... I bought it of some German guy and ..etc etc..

Btw our yacht Sephina is from a combination of our middle names and also the Arabic name for Argo Navis
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:27   #22

Sometimes, if you can be still and listen, your boat will tell you it's name.
Old 24-05-2015, 17:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Sometimes, if you can be still and listen, your boat will tell you it's name.
Finally, something I can agree with. My boat name, Aythya, is not only the genus name of the Canvassback Duck, but from the Greek, a term meaning without a sound; therefore, in the still and quiet I can hear my boat's name!
Old 24-05-2015, 17:53   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelieber View Post
I say keep her name as is. Svalan is the name for the bird... not the act of swallowing food... that is Svalja. Swallows have long been revered by mariners. Many sailors have traditionally had swallow tattoos. They signify a free spirit, a graceful voyage, and a safe return home. The swallows returning from their long migration to San Juan Capistrano has been admired by sailors for eons. You cannot help but feeling in awe with the sight of swallows gracefully looping through the rigging.

George's answer has my vote. Swallows are a good omen for sailors.

i do wonder, what is swallow in Danish?

I enjoy some traditions, and naming a boat is a good one. She deserves a good name given with love and respect.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 18:14   #25

I don't have my own boat (yet) but I have the name ready for her when I do. I pondered the significance (or otherwise) of changing the name and although I'm more rational these days, something deeply ingrained in me still spared a thought for the superstitions. Then I remembered that it is considered bad luck to have a woman on board, and given most of us probably have a significant other and/or children be part of a cruising lifestyle - not forgetting the many female skippers and boat owners - it would seem a little selective to allow one superstition to influence us but not another, based solely on justified convenience.

My problem now is that I have two names I want to use but no boats to give them to.
Pete P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 18:36   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
I don't have my own boat (yet) but I have the name ready for her when I do. I pondered the significance (or otherwise) of changing the name and although I'm more rational these days, something deeply ingrained in me still spared a thought for the superstitions. Then I remembered that it is considered bad luck to have a woman on board, and given most of us probably have a significant other and/or children be part of a cruising lifestyle - not forgetting the many female skippers and boat owners - it would seem a little selective to allow one superstition to influence us but not another, based solely on justified convenience.

My problem now is that I have two names I want to use but no boats to give them to.
I understand your point.

(EDIT) Earlier, here in this comment, I posted something (a photo and a joke) when I was in my typical humorous good mood, then thought better of it and removed it.

My sincere apologies if my attempt at humor offended anyone. I think some nautical traditions are fun. Some others are silly superstitions. I often enjoy them as "historical lore" and consider most harmless and interesting to consider.

I have sincere and great respect for women sailors (e.g. Sam Davies), and some not-so-famous women sailors (e.g. Ann Cate on this forum) have taught me many helpful lessons. They will always be welcomed equally on my boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 06:24   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

George's answer has my vote. Swallows are a good omen for sailors.

i do wonder, what is swallow in Danish?

I enjoy some traditions, and naming a boat is a good one. She deserves a good name given with love and respect.
In Danish Svalan is spelled

Svalen (the bird).

Lots of boats in Denmark are named Svalen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 06:32   #28

Children always have bad luck on my boat, they seem to fall overboard if they are noisy or annoying.
Old 25-05-2015, 06:49   #29

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

G'day,

Did you know it is unlucky to have women on board? And what about sailing on Friday? Phew I say. Do what you want, it's your boat.
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 06:56   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

[QUOTE=monte;1831364]There's usually only a couple of times the boat name comes up. One is
When trying to spell it to marinas, customs etc, the other is when other boaters ask what the name means. So whatever is easier to spell and has a decent reason works..
I named my yacht aires because it's my wife's star sign and a star ancient mariners used to navigate by, or..
It's the German word for swallow, the bird, not the thing you do with pizza and beer... I bought it of some German guy and ..etc etc..

Best logical advice yet! Also, outside of Denmark who could spell the name or understand it on the radio?

My GF didn't like the prior name on my boat (Running Free) and she definitely would make me change the name Swallow for the same reason. At least it isn't Swallower
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote