Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 14:27   #1

Questions for Buyers & Sellers

The topic of buying and selling boats comes up pretty often, right? On the dock, at an anchorage and of course online. Here's a few for either side that I wouldn't mind hearing answers to and that hopefully will benefit others as well.

SC

Sellers: What qualifying questions do you ask (or you expect your broker to ask) before you agree to show your boat?

Sellers: Would you show your boat at night? Or insist they schedule for another day?
- Ex. The past two showings both parties we're both out-of-towners and scheduled as the last boat at 3-4pm (in January). I warned them both of afternoon traffic and concern of showing it at sunset/nighttime. Both were late and nighttime showings
However, both declared how beautiful, well maintained and clearly of high build quality she is and was the best of the boats they saw that day. One party had seen a more well known boat, similar class, but not nearly as spacious, bright, fast, bluewater capable or as comfortable at anchor - and she is priced at $85k or $4k less- so that was positive.

Sellers: Broker(s), if you went through more than one, what propelled you to move on?
Also, if you are the one showing the boat what commission do you feel is appropriate? (currently in an open listing, broker has been a disappointment to say the least, one example being he relayed that one potential buyer needed seller financing when in fact they were all cash )

Sellers Was there something specific that you think, or were told, that sold the buyer on your particular boat?

Buyers: How many boats have you looked at in person? Or did so before you bought the one?

Buyers: What classifieds are you looking at?
Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings, craigslist, Latitude38, walking the docks, finding via referral/friends etc.?

Buyers: What is your budget and length range?

Buyers: Are you looking for a well maintained, beautiful boat with little to no issues or a project?

Buyers: Single-handing or are you double-handing with a co-capt, capable crew or with passive partner/spouse?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 15:07   #2

Re: Questions for Buyers & Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
The topic of buying and selling boats comes up pretty often, right? On the dock, at an anchorage and of course online. Here's a few for either side that I wouldn't mind hearing answers to and that hopefully will benefit others as well.

SC

Sellers: What qualifying questions do you ask (or you expect your broker to ask) before you agree to show your boat? I assume it's part of the selling process to show the boat. I understand the odds are low it's "their" boat. As a seller, "sell" them on the good things about the boat. If it's on it's last leg, tell them up front to avoid wasting time. For Brokers: generally I don't think they think this way though.

Sellers: Would you show your boat at night? Or insist they schedule for another day? Not normally.
- Ex. The past two showings both parties we're both out-of-towners and scheduled as the last boat at 3-4pm (in January). I warned them both of afternoon traffic and concern of showing it at sunset/nighttime. Both were late and nighttime showings
However, both declared how beautiful, well maintained and clearly of high build quality she is and was the best of the boats they saw that day. One party had seen a more well known boat, similar class, but not nearly as spacious, bright, fast, bluewater capable or as comfortable at anchor - and she is priced at $85k or $4k less- so that was positive.

Sellers: Broker(s), if you went through more than one, what propelled you to move on? Lack of sales, lack of communication on when they showed it. And lack of feedback from the showing.
Also, if you are the one showing the boat what commission do you feel is appropriate? (currently in an open listing, broker has been a disappointment to say the least, one example being he relayed that one potential buyer needed seller financing when in fact they were all cash )
Change brokers. I think they have 90 days as listing broker. ..due to their advertising etc. You may need to give them notice.

Sellers Was there something specific that you think, or were told, that sold the buyer on your particular boat? I had a boat listed with a broker, there was an offer and some counteroffers. The buyer passed. I offered to meet the potential buyer for a drink . We met, he bought the boat. Why? Because I told him all about the boat, I had built it, a lot of things you cant see on a boat. I filled him in. Many brokers are notoriously unable to recall details.

Buyers: How many boats have you looked at in person? Or did so before you bought the one? Anywhere from 3 to dozens. Probably 2-3 I looked real close at, dozens I gave a cursory look.

Buyers: What classifieds are you looking at?
Yachtworld, Sailboatlistings, craigslist, Latitude38, walking the docks, finding via referral/friends etc.? It changes by area and time.

Buyers: What is your budget and length range?

Buyers: Are you looking for a well maintained, beautiful boat with little to no issues or a project? I'm looking for the well maintained and often end up with the project!

Buyers: Single-handing or are you double-handing with a co-capt, capable crew or with passive partner/spouse?
I'll give a ruddy go at a few (BOLD)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:29   #3

Thanks for your responses.

I hope you were paid well for your homebuild boat. Some excellent home builts out there. It's a shame how flimsy some production boats are built the past few decades.

Regarding showing your boat personally versus just the broker due to them, often, missing details and poor communication, boy is that good advice. Last June I called their office to follow up on a showing (since of course they didn't follow up!). They didn't even recognize my name or type/name of boat! Lol. In an open listing so have just let it be, but might just need to take your suggestion - many have said the same.

Ha! I like the "I'm looking for the well maintained and often up with a project!"
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Thanks for your responses.

I hope you were paid well for your homebuild boat. Some excellent home builts out there. It's a shame how flimsy some production boats are built the past few decades.

Regarding showing your boat personally versus just the broker due to them, often, missing details and poor communication, boy is that good advice. Last June I called their office to follow up on a showing (since of course they didn't follow up!). They didn't even recognize my name or type/name of boat! Lol. In an open listing so have just let it be, but might just need to take your suggestion - many have said the same.

Ha! I like the "I'm looking for the well maintained and often up with a project!"
Not really, as usual, lost my A**. Essentially gave away 2.5 years labor for free. It was actually built from a hull and deck. All that time caused a divorce and it had to be sold.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:55   #5

What a bummer. All too often with boats, it seems.