Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06   #1

Boat: 1970 42' ChoeyLee
Planning this Fall/Winter

Good morning, Having just brought the boat up from the Virgins, with US Virgin Island Registration, we were hoping to spend some time in Florida or the Bahamas after hurricane season. Doing some boat work here in La before hand, so I was looking for some information on what registration or permits one might be looking at? Are mooring permits necessary for Fl (if so who and how to apply) or is the hook just as good? For that matter, what about the Bahamas? We draw 6. Thanks in advance.
Nirvava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39   #2

Boat: Boatless
From personal experience with a BVI boat in Florida and the Bahamas, I have found the following:

Providing you are a US citizen you can easily obtain a 1 year cruising certificate for your foreign registered boat at customs/immigrations when you enter the US. A USCG offficer told the forum that the rules were stricter in South Florida but no one at my sailing club in Miami knew of these rules, nor were they applied any of the 3 times I entered. My English friends who are about to sail into US waters and stay for an extended period had to obtain visas from the US Consulate in Trinidad.

After 1 year you must leave for 2 weeks before reentry for another year.

No mooring permits in Florida but theoretically, I am told, you are supposed to get a 3 month cruising permit and after 3 months they can charge you 6% sales tax but having kept non-Florida registerd boats in Florida for a total of 4 years I have never seen those rules enforced...but maybe I was fortunate. In Florida, the new anchoring rules allow you to anchor anywhere but in a designated mooring field, but there is no evidence, as of yet, that the local police have read the rules.

In the Bahamas you need a $300 cruising certificate which is good for 3 months, this I have heard is enforced.

Good luck Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post

In the Bahamas you need a $300 cruising certificate which is good for 3 months, this I have heard is enforced.

Good luck Phil
The Bahamian cruising permit is good for one year, not three months. During the first three months of the permit you may leave and re-enter Bahamian waters without paying the fee again.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55   #4

Boat: Boatless
I have just checked my Bahamian entry documents from April 2009, my wife was playing Captain that day. The cruising permit clearly states 6 months. But I certainly remember 3 months from 2 yrs ago.
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The boat’s Temporary Cruising Permit is for one year from date of entry and may be renewed for up to two further years if desired by written application to Bahamas Customs, Nassau, prior to expiration and payment of $500 per year. To leave your boat in the Bahamas permanently, you must pay an import duty of 27 percent for vessels under 30 ft. or six percent for vessels 30-100 ft.

You may have mistaken the immigration permit for the cruising permit. Immigration varies from 3 months to 6 months depending on the port of entry and the seniority of the immigration officer.