Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 03:07   #91

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Ocean Crossers and Global Cruisers Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
This is excellent advice. The only thing that I can add is don't make the mistake of buying a yacht that is beyond your financial means to keep it running.
Always a good point. The better boat is definitely more expensive to get ready and to own. I'm doing my best to keep things simple to keep costs down. It's an anchor and mooring only boat though. Not for use on docks for me, financially.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:59   #92

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm glad to hear you've made your decision, and are back at it. It's a lot of work, and it's going to be hard to work around your limitations. But, I've seen your "better" boat, and it's awesome.

I might add, that your better boat could easily handle term charters, or day charters, if you wanted. Two or three weeks charter in a year, should take care of your maintenance fees for that year. A boat like that seems to charter for at least $10,000 a week, bareboat, and who knows how much with captain and crew.

Most here are cheering from the grandstands, but, as you know, I'm cheering from the field. GO TEAM.

Keep your chin up.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:06   #93

Crossing oceans at the right time of year is no big deal - just tireing. Far more danger close to land.
smacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 17:12   #94

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Define your purpose. Set a date and go. Take the girl. Take more toys than spare parts, tools or food. Listen to Mother Nature and bend your will, not Her's. Cruising is sailing from one exotic location to another to work on the boat. There are well stocked chandleries everywhere. There is plenty of food everywhere. Life is much brighter when the water tanks are full. You'll know everything you need to know to sail around the world by the time you reach Panama. Take pictures and notes for your great novel.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 17:27   #95

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
Define your purpose. Set a date and go. Take the girl. Take more toys than spare parts, tools or food. Listen to Mother Nature and bend your will, not Her's. Cruising is sailing from one exotic location to another to work on the boat. There are well stocked chandleries everywhere. There is plenty of food everywhere. Life is much brighter when the water tanks are full. You'll know everything you need to know to sail around the world by the time you reach Panama. Take pictures and notes for your great novel.
Hopefully this advice is given so we can have a laugh. If you are serious then better not have any form of communication either for when you have a breakdown & have no spares or tools to attempt a repair. Also now I have run out of food because there has been no wind for 3 days!!
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 19:24   #96

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
There are well stocked chandleries everywhere.
And the very best part is that EVERYTHING on their shelves is FREE.

What's not to like?

Jim
Old 07-12-2019, 22:55   #97

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Getting on with it, yes sir!

We both put in a 10 hour day, our first day back to the boat, yesterday. Same today. The breathing issue has been squared away with careful filtration and removing all epoxy exposure. Outside air in Florida is decent so I can breathe here, mostly.

Putting in the shower first so I can shower off immediately after work and not bring any of the epoxy dust back to where we are staying while working.

Now of course you have to go out for plenty of situations but those are rather brief moments. I'm talking about all day long keeping watch and sailing a course. This, including reefing, can be done from inside.

And you know what? You're right. 2-3 years is probably an over estimate. The hull took quite a while (fairing), but interior stuff goes up fairly quickly. Needs a rig and some modifications to some outside stuff too, so 2 years probably. Never underestimate how long it takes to find everything you need. Ha ha.

Felt great to be back on her yesterday. She was sitting for 2 years and EVERYTHING still worked first try. Generator, refrigerator/freezer, etc. It all worked just great.
I've been naughty this time, and not read the intervening posts between yours and Jim's.

I just wanted to say good on you. I hope you can make it 12-18 months. And then, well, the ocean beckons.....

Ann
Old 07-12-2019, 23:55   #98

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Thanks, everyone.

With the breathing sorted out (and taking me 3x longer because of it though!), the project has begun again.

A side benefit is I'm feeling a lot healthier in all the other physical ways. Feels great to be doing less office work and more physical work. Can feel the body adapting, strengthening, etc. The exercise is wonderful.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 00:38   #99

Boat: Hunter 40

Rule #1 about female sailors: If they don't like the bathroom, they are NOT going to be onboard long.
Rule #2: THEY are the Capt. (Don't argue this point, even if they call YOU Capt.)
Rule #3: Females do not do well without their personal, "stuff" so make sure they have it.
Rule #4: Make sure they have NO access to firearms and booze at the same time.
Rule#5: Make sure all other crew reads rule #4
Rule #6: You are ALWAYS just about to get to the destination. (Blame the wind)
These rules should make any sailing experience with females much nicer, it is not a complete list, and additions are welcome. I hope this helps you.
Aquarianis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 00:44   #100
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Book for your kindle, which should pay for itself many times over
https://www.amazon.com/Outfit-Sail-C.../dp/B00638SJII

Storm proofing by him as well is a must have IMHO.
Another thing worth considering is getting a little inverter welder and learning stainless stick welding, not that hard to do if you don't mind not looking perfect and can be so handy cruising to make little brackets to mount the outboard or around the galley or whatever, will no doubt pay for itself as well. Good luck with the boat!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:56   #101

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarianis View Post
Rule #1 about female sailors: If they don't like the bathroom, they are NOT going to be onboard long.
Rule #2: THEY are the Capt. (Don't argue this point, even if they call YOU Capt.)
Rule #3: Females do not do well without their personal, "stuff" so make sure they have it.
Rule #4: Make sure they have NO access to firearms and booze at the same time.
Rule#5: Make sure all other crew reads rule #4
Rule #6: You are ALWAYS just about to get to the destination. (Blame the wind)
These rules should make any sailing experience with females much nicer, it is not a complete list, and additions are welcome. I hope this helps you.
Oof. and on his first post!

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:43   #102

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Circumnavigated loaded down with spares, tools and food. Didn't need a tenth of what I took. Regretted not bringing more toys. Better strategy: hire a local shipwright to do repairs and manage the process. As for food? If I never see TVP or powdered milk again then it will be too soon. It's the drinking water, not food, that is critical. Take enough food for each passage but no more - the planet is covered in food and you'll survive 25 days without any. Better strategy: buy local food. Risk is a personal thing. There are never enough mitigations for some folks, and for others: surf's up, dude!
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, grass