Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 20:18   #16

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Re: November Gulf Stream Passage

I do the miami-nassau race race and its the second week of november. My first offshore race started with 25-30 ne, we started at the scheduled time and it was a experience ill never forget. At about 2:30-3:30 am we had sustained 30s and gust to almost 40. I learned so much in those 170 miles, doing sail changes in 12 foot waves, standing on the bow and being chest deep in water. After that a crossing in under 25 seems like a sunday champagne cruise. You can make the crossing in almost any weather, it may not be comfortable but it will be exciting.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:28   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
I do the miami-nassau race race and its the second week of november. My first offshore race started with 25-30 ne, we started at the scheduled time and it was a experience ill never forget. At about 2:30-3:30 am we had sustained 30s and gust to almost 40. I learned so much in those 170 miles, doing sail changes in 12 foot waves, standing on the bow and being chest deep in water. After that a crossing in under 25 seems like a sunday champagne cruise. You can make the crossing in almost any weather, it may not be comfortable but it will be exciting.
Geez, sounds like perfect conditions for Ma and Pa, who have just retired, on their first Bahamas cruise in their new Island Packet. And, who would be on the bow chest deep in water? Ma? Pa? Respondants should be careful not to trivialize this crossing as b-rad has above when he states:"You can make the crossing in almost any weather, it may not be comfortable but it will be exciting." I have met sailors who have sailed every sea in the world and not one of them underestimates the seriousness and potential for disaster of this passage. Sailing does not have to be an Outward Bound experience when one has the time to wait for a good weather window . . . especially to retired cruisers looking for a few last moments in the sun.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:08   #18
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

To add my two cents, I crossed in early November years ago when a NE front over took our Allmand 31'. 20-30 knots of wind 10-12' seas cresting. We had to run before the seas taking the breakers on the port quarter. We were pooped twice and will NEVER forget it.

Our jib halyard parted (no spare) and we had to motor the rest of the way. Lucky for us we were close to the banks and got out of it in a few hours. Lucky isn't the word because our engine quit (algae in the fuel) and had to nurse her all the way to Nassau.

Don't ever underestimate the power of the stream in a Nor'ester. And NEVER leave on a Friday the 13th with a full moon like we did. You are tempting fate.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:15   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Geez, sounds like perfect conditions for Ma and Pa, who have just retired, on their first Bahamas cruise in their new Island Packet. And, who would be on the bow chest deep in water? Ma? Pa? Respondants should be careful not to trivialize this crossing as b-rad has above when he states:"You can make the crossing in almost any weather, it may not be comfortable but it will be exciting." I have met sailors who have sailed every sea in the world and not one of them underestimates the seriousness and potential for disaster of this passage. Sailing does not have to be an Outward Bound experience when one has the time to wait for a good weather window . . . especially to retired cruisers looking for a few last moments in the sun.

I have crossed more than a few times and it is always an adventure. Choose your window carefully and it is no shame to turn back. The first time I crossed I should have turned back but I was too concerned with the shallow water in the entrance of the Biscayne Channel so I stayed out, 14 hours to get across.

Tags
passage