Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 17:42   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Northwest Passage Future : Changing Icescape

NOTE! This post is not about politics or disbelief in "Global Warming." This post is about how the current trend which is evident by sattelite evidence will affect sailing or sailors or cruising to this location on earth. I am NOT posting this to stir up political arguments. I am posting this to broach how sailors and cruisers may respond to the likely opening of the Northwest Passage as a cruising location.

The Northwest Passage has long held a place in the exhalted ranks of High Adventure. It was pursued by many and defeated most.

As this interesting video by NASA shows, the perennial ice has declined substantially just since 1985. It is a remarkable change at the least, and shocking to many.

I predict that a new field of Luxury Yachting will emerge as Megayachts will begin to "do" the Northwest Passage.

Quickly followed by Carnival Cruise ships and others going there to experience a different type of cruise location.

Already it surprises me how many small boats and private yachts plan to or do go through or attempt it now. And as there is a cruiser's ARC rally each year across the Atlantic, I can imagine an "ARCtic" rally or commercial rally in the future too.

I imagine Amundsen and Shackleton and Lord Franklin are turning in their graves at the thought of what is developing with the changing icescape and the future of the Northwest Passage.

What do you think?

Here is a Youtube video by NASA with NASA narration of the animated video. About 2:30 minutes long.
https://youtu.be/Vj1G9gqhkYA

NOTE: I am trying to post a link to this interesting NASA video, which I found on Facebook. I am not sure if it will work via posting it here on CF, but I will try. The video is worth watching.

https://www.facebook.com/steadman.uh...41367905939200

Here is another link to the same NASA video, this time posted on CNN website:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/11...on-orig-bu.cnn
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 18:02   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Northwest Passage Future : Changing Icescape

I predict, even with the best of intentions, this thread will deteriorate quickly. The peace, love, tripweed crowd can not help themselves.

Hopefully, I will be proven wrong...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 19:05   #3
cruiser

Both of us welcome global warming and the eventual opening up of the northwest passage. We'd love to take a cruiseline voyage up north to see some icebergs and polar bears. Awesome!

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:15   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Both of us welcome global warming and the eventual opening up of the northwest passage. We'd love to take a cruiseline voyage up north to see some icebergs and polar bears. Awesome!

You either are unaware of the impact receding ice has on the people and ecosystem that depend on it or don't care, I hope its the first!!
As for taking a cruiseline up to see the Polar bears don't you get it, there will be none to see due to their habitat disappearing!!

It is unfortunate that one of the last frontiers that was protected by its climate alone, will now be open to exploitation like everywhere else.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:27   #5

I love how you automatically cut off anyone who disagrees with you by saying it's not about "disbelief in..."

Reality true or not, it won't have any significant impact on normal cruisers. If you look at the larger cruising community and consider how many currently do high latitude cruising (run the St Lawrence to get to the east coast, round cape horn, Greenland, Salvbard, etc...) These are all currently available and the numbers are miniscule. I see no reason to expect the ICW snowbird crowd will suddenly take the NW passage.

Likewise, Carnival isn't going to send ships thru. A day or two at sea can be fun...a week or two without ports to visit would not be a big draw (Again, they could run to Greenland but once you've seen an ice covered coast for a day or two...then what?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
I predict, even with the best of intentions, this thread will deteriorate quickly. The peace, love, tripweed crowd can not help themselves.

Hopefully, I will be proven wrong...

meatservo
Nope...you were right...
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:07   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
You either are unaware of the impact receding ice has on the people and ecosystem that depend on it or don't care, I hope its the first!!
As for taking a cruiseline up to see the Polar bears don't you get it, there will be none to see due to their habitat disappearing!!

It is unfortunate that one of the last frontiers that was protected by its climate alone, will now be open to exploitation like everywhere else.
I wonder if polar bears taste like grizzly?
Old 17-11-2016, 17:38   #8

Boat: wanting a cat

Kenomac,

I would enjoy sailing with you...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:56   #9

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:

Me to. I like warm climates.
Global warming has its strong points.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 04:00   #10

Quote:
I wonder if polar bears taste like grizzly?
American by chance?
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 07:28   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
American by chance?
Dual citizenship Canadian and USA. So yes... North American.

Tags
passage