Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 11:59   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Nordhavn 56 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Be sure to talk with folks who have owned them and get aboard a few yourself, ie sea trial thoroughly. I've seen several people go there and then sell and go back to a monohull powerboat. Almost universally when asked they've said negative things about steerage.
Thanks Min. I have no experience with a power cat in weather. Ive tooled around on lovely days.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:39   #32

Most sailboats on the market today motor very well. How do you then define a motorsailer? Bigger engine... no point as speed if limited by the hull shape not the HP.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 13:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I know, designed in the US, built in Asia. What I meant was, I'm not particularly fond of the exterior styling of the Nordhavn since my taste preference is more European.

I guess the Motorsailer concept has never caught on because the end product isn't particularly great at either being a sailboat or trawler, but most sailboats (mono or multis) end up motoring or motorsailing half the time anyway due to no wind.
You just answered your own question as to why motorsailers have not caught on. "because the end product isn't particularly great at either". And you're right. They do sail ok, and in 25 knot winds sailing is good with them too.

What a Motorsailer does well is what it was designed to do. Motorsail comfortably with the room of a trawler, but much more cost effective than a trawler. I do 7,4-7.8 everywhere we go. beating into it, hard on it, or down wind we're making good progress, and we are only using .5-1.5 gallons per hour to do it with depending how much wind. No rocking back and forth, no sitting in the middle of the big pond like a cork when the wind dies. A Motorsailer was made to Motorsail, and the reason you don't see a lot of them around is because people that own them are keeping them.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 14:34   #34

Jsta no "motorsailer" that can beat has the room of a modern recreational trawler because you can't fit a decent upwind capable rig and trawler superstructure on the same boat. Most modern sailboats can make the same speeds as a motorsailer under power when the wind dies. Motorsailers aren't common because they sail worse than a sailboat and don't motor any better than a sailboat. Nordhavn's motorsailer hasn't been a success.

Old 11-04-2016, 15:05   #35

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Most sailboats on the market today motor very well. How do you then define a motorsailer? Bigger engine... no point as speed if limited by the hull shape not the HP.
===

As a general rule motor sailers tend to be significantly roomier, have much greater fuel and water tankage, significantly more power, and shallower draft than a comparable sail boat. Contrary to your assertion, there is a reason for more power. Reaching hull speed in flat water and light wind is not enough for a motor sailer since they need to be able to make progress under power into wind and waves like any other power boat.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 15:19   #36

Wayne how do you make a motorsailer roomier than a modern sailboat of the same length?

Carrying lots of water is redundant now given water makers can fill this roll. Yes powering into rough seas takes more power and a motorsailer needs this and lots of fuel as it won't point well (or at all) but a sailboat doesn't because they point well and don't need to motor. Either way most modern sailboats have enough power to handle most conditions.

Old 11-04-2016, 16:47   #37

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Wayne how do you make a motorsailer roomier than a modern sailboat of the same length?
Wider beam, more superstructure, heavier displacement. Take a look at a typical trawler yacht vs a typical sail boat. Once you stop becoming overly concerned about windage and windward performance it's easy to create a roomier boat. People from sail boats who come aboard our trawler can't believe how much space we have.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 17:06   #38

Wayne modern sailboats are pretty beamy so that just leaves superstructure and once monohulls start getting tall you can forget decent sailing performance. I've owned and lived on a Seahorse 52 Trawler so I know there can be a lot of room in a trawler but a modern 52' sailboat also has a lot of room.

Old 11-04-2016, 18:02   #39

Quote:
Jsta no "motorsailer" that can beat has the room of a modern recreational trawler because you can't fit a decent upwind capable rig and trawler superstructure on the same boat. Most modern sailboats can make the same speeds as a motorsailer under power when the wind dies. Motorsailers aren't common because they sail worse than a sailboat and don't motor any better than a sailboat. Nordhavn's motorsailer hasn't been a success.

Ya know, I've owned sailboats including my first cruiser which has was a Morgan 41. I've also owned a trawler. Loved to room, but what a crappy ride. Say what you want. I've heard it before and even "he doesn't know nothing, he owns a motorsailer" on this forum, but it's obvious to me that you at least have never been aboard an IT40 or 46. I have a bathtub in my boat factory installed. A walk around queen bed. I hold 600 gallons of fuel if I want, and I can sail upwind too. Maybe not as fast as you, but I get there. I have the best of both worlds with my motorsailer. It is the perfect boat for the Caribbean and cruising. Had mine now for 8 years. No way I'd part with her. I will be at the Antigua Classic.. Maybe you should come aboard and have a look, and we can even go for a sail if you would like.. I will be with crew of Guiding Light.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 18:57   #40

JTSA thanks for your kind offer, maybe a week or so ago when I was in St Martin. I've never been on an IT 40 or 46 but just had a quick google and it looks like a nice setup. If you are happy with it then perfect.

I don't have a boat at the moment so you would be able to sail up wind faster than me. Currently on my short list are Nordhavn 47, Seahorse built Diesel Duck 462 and Lagoon 450.

Old 11-04-2016, 19:45   #41

Quote:
JTSA thanks for your kind offer, maybe a week or so ago when I was in St Martin. I've never been on an IT 40 or 46 but just had a quick google and it looks like a nice setup. If you are happy with it then perfect.

I don't have a boat at the moment so you would be able to sail up wind faster than me. Currently on my short list are Nordhavn 47, Seahorse built Diesel Duck 462 and Lagoon 450.

Multi guys will be pleased with your short list
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 19:49   #42

Love the diesel duck!

Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail