Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 15:23   #1

Boat: Designer 46ft Cat
Need help to understand the weather

Hi All... am looking for info... website.... books.... tutorials.... on understanding the weather for sailing... but weather in general....
Would like to be able to look at synoptic charts, weather patterns, gribs, cloud formations... and understand them with a higher degree of confidence than I have.... I suppose just have a better "seamanship" understanding of the weather... at present... I think I know enough.... but there is always that nagging thought in the back of my brain box that says you need to know more.

I am like a lot of people.... time poor to be able to be on the water as much as I would like.... I know there is nothing like practical experience to learn.... but if someone could guide me towards some theoretical help now so I can put it to practical use... I would be greatful.

Am off to Thailand to sail around the East coast riviera islands of Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Kood etc. in a weeks time.... never a bad place to sail due to lots of protected areas should the weather turn.... so as a safe haven to learn in... it is perfect.... and this where I would like to get the practical side of "Understanding the Weather class 101" done.

Thanks for any help I may receive... have a safe Xmas, a great New Year... and may all of your travels have smooth seas
KD on Tropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 15:28   #2

Re: Need help to understand the weather

Good luck with that!

I don't think anyone in the BOM understands the weather.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:21   #3

Boat: porta bote

After all this years it will help you a whole bunch to look up in the sky.

Learn about the weather - Met Office

It doesn't mean you have to do this stuff with all the apps we have now
but it helps a bunch.

Fair winds
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Both Chris Parker and Lee Chesneau have weather classes at boat shows and online (SevenSeasU); the links below should help...

https://www.mwxc.com/
Lee Chesneau's Marine Weather
https://events-na5.adobeconnect.com/...-id=1572044202
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Both Chris Parker and Lee Chesneau have weather classes at boat shows and online (SevenSeasU); the links below should help...

https://www.mwxc.com/
Lee Chesneau's Marine Weather
https://events-na5.adobeconnect.com/...-id=1572044202
Lee is a great resource. I had a great chat with him at the Vancouver Boat Show last year.

I have done some presentations on weather

http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/marine-weather

http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/m...ather-offshore

http://www.slideshare.net/JackDale/m...ther-resources

The first two might be a little dated. The second is specific to the West Coast of Canada.

But they might be helpful.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 16:50   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Try googling on the Thailand Weather Bureau, then look at the predicitons for the next few days, and check them against the observations. Expect a lot of light air, and for it to be tan in color.

Ann
Old 21-12-2015, 17:18   #7

Read Lee Chesneau and Mai Li Chen's book, http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weather-...esneau+weather

Taking a class from Lee is highly recommended but if the class is only a few hours, read up on weather first since he provides a fire hose of information in the class. It would be hard to keep up if one did not have a bit of knowledge before hand.

Then download for free the Dashew's books on weather from their website, SetSail » Free Books

There is some overlap in the two Dashew books but read the Mariners Weather Handbook followed by Surviving the Storm.

Also download a GRIB viewer and start watching the weather. I use Viewfax for better or worse.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 17:20   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I would actually start with Wikipedia: read the basics of how the air circulates in the high and in the low: both seen horizontally and vertically. Then I would read on to understand the exchange of air between the high and an adjacent low. At this point I would move on to read about global air masses circulation - to get the view of why and where we get the ITCZ, the passats, the horse latitudes, the gales, the lulls and the hurricanes.

Make sure to get the role of the Sun early on. Also try to see the important differences btw the continental weather and the ocean weather and the finer things that happen on the boundary (coasts).

You will also have to get a clear vision of what happens to the air and to the moisture in it as it gets colder/warmer (and higher/lower, which are related to an extent).

Once thru with these basic basics, you can reach for any good wx book and I would recommend one that is written BY SAILING PEOPLE and for sailing people. Say Steve and Linda's book. (Mariner's Weather Handbook, S&L Dashew). If this one is too difficult at places, mind you do not have to understand everything at the first pass - get what you can, mark up the not so clear parts and read up on the web (because there are all levels of detailed wx info on the web and so you WILL find something that matches your level, at any point), then return and re-read the book again after a time.

Then keep on rolling. Read books, look at the sky and ponder.

Do not fool yourself into thinking one can understand any complex matter in a week. And nothing gets done without being done. It is all about passion, time and dedication. In a couple of years you will look back with nostalgia at the days where you did not understand the weather and you believed one day you would. ;-)

Have fun learning, otherwise its not worth taking up!

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 17:28   #9

earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

To get you started here's the Mean Sea Level Pressure overlay on the Earth Wind Map. Look at this every day after you have a look at your local weather forecast on the TV nooz. It'll start to make sense after a while. The center of the low pressure is on your left when the wind is at your back in the northern hemisphere. It's on your other left when down south.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	115450  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 19:36   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

It's fun to open these websites and compare the descriptions with the visuals. This helps in understanding real-time conditions, but I still haven't gotten any good at forecasting. Is there a "Thai NOAA" you can find similar info?

Pacific Briefing Package (or use the GRIB file for your region)

earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDOFFPZ6 (yikes, 15-20-foot seas offshore this week!)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 20:07   #11

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

KD
Good question it's something I've been trying to get to grips with, glad you asked the question its given me a kick start.
Dannc
I like the link, nothing makes a Yorkshire man happier than free stuff (even if he doesn't need it).
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 06:47   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

There is no Thai NOAA and no Russian NOAA. Never will.

Most state agencies simply abuse the freebies developed by NOAA (and by some other stage weather agencies, but only the NOAA is so 'generous').

NOAA is a huge undertaking with satellites, brains and will to drive a huge portion of what we believe we know about the weather.

There are decent BOM in the UK, France, Japan and Australia. There is also some input from NZ (e.g. Victoria) and in Europe (e.g. Germany - alas this is mostly land wetter).

Maybe the Ruskis have something over Asia too (this seems very likely given their geographical span) BUT few of us speak cyrilic and those who do claim their wx sources are not public.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 07:00   #13

Some good stuff here as well.

Frank's Site Overview / Franks-Weather | The Weather Window
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:58   #14

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

A few more potential books to read enroute to Thailand on weather in general, Instant Weather Forecasting by A Watts (altho limited utility in Africa and Caribbean), Weather at Sea by D Houghton, and The Boater's Weather Guide by M Williams. All paperbacks, small, and light.
Dave
1978 Bristol 35.5
Connecticut, USofA
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 09:01   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD on Tropic View Post
Hi All... am looking for info... website.... books.... tutorials.... on understanding the weather for sailing... but weather in general....
Would like to be able to look at synoptic charts, weather patterns, gribs, cloud formations... and understand them with a higher degree of confidence than I have.... I suppose just have a better "seamanship" understanding of the weather... at present... I think I know enough.... but there is always that nagging thought in the back of my brain box that says you need to know more.

I am like a lot of people.... time poor to be able to be on the water as much as I would like.... I know there is nothing like practical experience to learn.... but if someone could guide me towards some theoretical help now so I can put it to practical use... I would be greatful.

Am off to Thailand to sail around the East coast riviera islands of Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Kood etc. in a weeks time.... never a bad place to sail due to lots of protected areas should the weather turn.... so as a safe haven to learn in... it is perfect.... and this where I would like to get the practical side of "Understanding the Weather class 101" done...
Hi KD,

In direct response to your topic title I can say [at least speaking for myself...] "... don't we all..."

I break the topic of weather [Wx] into two distinct areas: understanding Wx and separately understanding Wx forecasting products. [e.g., WxFax charts, Grib files, satellite images, forecasts, etc.]

On our blog Wx page [which contains everything I want to look at daily...] we include WindyTy. It is very useful for visualizing current Wx and Grib forecasts anywhere on earth...

Our weather library and resource recommendations include [in order of consumption as one is the pre-requisite for the next...]:

Modern Marine Weather [David Birch] and the StarPath website

Mariner's Wx Handbook [Steve and Linda Dashew; Generously donated to the public domain. Somewhat dated but still excellent; and free...]

Attend Lee Chesnau's Professional Mariner's Course [We took it online through our SSCA membership.]

Before going to sea, and after assimilating and understanding the above, absorb:

Heavy Weather Avoidance and Route Design [Excellent book by Chen and Chesneau]

The above gave us the foundation required to begin to understand the weather and related products provided around the world to help prognosticate it...

We find that the study never ends for such a complex topic...

In hopes this may be helpful.

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
weather