Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 05:11   #31

Boat: no boat any more
Re: My perfect sail boat for RTW cruising

many excellent suggestions here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Cruis...091603&sr=1-11
(& to anybody thinking I am completely nuts to tackle "bluewatercruising like we did in 81': within the chosen framework of circumstances we are careful bordering on the neurotic! ours definitely wasn't a "...see how it goes!"-approach (of course there are limits as to how much celestial navigation practice one can acquire on one's balcony...)
Also let me state that we met many couples on boats, that, despite more thorough preparations were not happy & it definitely wasn't "the life" 4 them...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:22   #32

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A few other boats that could be worth looking out for are some of the Woods catamarans and the older trimarans such as the lock crowther buccaneers, newick (ie twiggy)and Brown (searunner and seaclipper) designs. These are often cheap and simple. They have sparkling performance, shallow draft, and positive bouyancy.

They trade these advantages with a lack of interior space and load carrying capability. But much more than a cycling tent... A small outboard will push them a long way.
Old 24-05-2016, 05:35   #33

...twiggy was l. crowther...
would STRONGLY recommend monohull for beginner (see my post above...)
Old 24-05-2016, 06:14   #34

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...twiggy was l. crowther...
would STRONGLY recommend monohull for beginner (see my post above...)
Right you are, what was I thinking1 thanks. Val 31was what I had in mind. But in all honesty both twiggy's and vals are probably a bit small for two+1 long term unless you live very light. I agree an old racing tri is a flighty beast. But ohh so much fun!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-05-2016, 06:56   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

As they say one picture.

This is Webb Chiles NOW. In his 24' ULDB boat designed in 1972.

Not ..."in 5 to 7 years when the kids are out of the nest and we can afford a Helia 444".

Dream big. Live now.

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webb_today.gif
Views:	124
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	124801  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 07:43   #36

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

This post is from the Wet Blanket Department.

I encourage people who are interested in cruising to follow their dreams, however, I also hope that they'll be realistic about what could be in store for them. Whereas there are many aspects of cruising that hit the over-the-top/fantastic/unbelievable ends of the scale, there are also times that force many people to say, "I'm never going near the water again. What was I thinking?"

Some cruisers call the Sea of Cortez the Sea of Broken Dreams. I've lost count of how many people we met there who had every intention of sailing around the world, got to the Sea and never left. Not that there's anything wrong with that - we love the Sea of Cortez and are looking forward to returning - but I've seen many people outfit a boat for rigorous water sailing">blue water sailing only to wind up motoring up and down the Sea, spending lots of time in marinas and only experiencing Mexican culture from a very limited perspective. You can take a look at the Marina Seca in San Carlos to see it is chock full of cruising boats that look like they'll never make it back into the water.

Don't get me wrong - I think that sailing around the world is a very worthwhile dream to pursue. I also think that someone should be aware that at any time during the process of acquiring a boat, fitting it out, shaking it down, learning to live in a confined space, dealing with weather, boredom, Immigration and Customs officials, cost of repairs, etc, that they might decide that it's not for them. There is no shame in that. Blue water cruising isn't for everyone who dreams of doing it. But how will you know unless you try?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:20   #37

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Some cruisers call the Sea of Cortez the Sea of Broken Dreams. I've lost count of how many people we met there who had every intention of sailing around the world, got to the Sea and never left. Not that there's anything wrong with that - we love the Sea of Cortez and are looking forward to returning - but I've seen many people outfit a boat for rigorous blue water sailing only to wind up motoring up and down the Sea, spending lots of time in marinas and only experiencing Mexican culture from a very limited perspective. You can take a look at the Marina Seca in San Carlos to see it is chock full of cruising boats that look like they'll never make it back into the water.
Boy you got that correct! The number of sun dried, lonely, abandoned, or for sale boats in yards in San Carlos, Guaymas, La Paz, etc. would shock most non-cruising sailors. They go in the yard... and never come out. For various reasons but the top 2 seem to be... "let's just go back home for a while and we will continue on next year" and "you are NOT getting me back on that !#%&*! ever again!".

A good divorce attorney could make a ton of money with an office at these dry storage yards.

"The Sea of Broken Dreams" is correct.

To the original thread poster... if all you have is a lake or pond, get a dinghy, get out on that pond and see if you like it at all first instead of just dreaming about it.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 23:34   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
No such thing as the ideal boat.
That's true. But the Contessa 32 comes pretty close.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:58   #39

nhschneider: second that!
btw: european "sea of broken dreams" is the Med
Old 25-05-2016, 02:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
That's true. But the Contessa 32 comes pretty close.

Paul
wouldn't she be a terrible roller on a broad reach & a run???
Old 25-05-2016, 03:15   #41

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I'll be blunter. Before you consider pulling a Slocum, you should see if you even like sailing. Consider a boat charter or crewing. I don't know how many dreamers are brought back to Earth by chronic mal de mer.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 06:11   #42

...most, Lodesman, most...! But not every last of them (see one of my previous' posts...)
depending on his age, attitude, intelligence & care it just might work out too...just...
Old 25-05-2016, 07:26   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

No doubt C32 is an icon and a pleasure to have and to hold. Yet, if we think of the easy rtw, then one may want something more modern - say one of the boats that excel broad reaching & running. Or a cat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 13:06   #44

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

If you truly want to go small and simple, here's a book for you... Kawabunga's South Sea Adventure by Charles Dewell. No Baha Haha or holding hands with a bazillion other newbies all leaving at the same time. Just a guy in a 20 foot boat.

And also... Trekka Round the World by John Guzzwell. Another go small, go now book.
And Trekka makes 20 foot Kawabunga look like a yacht.

Cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 14:38   #45
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Apologies to OP if my post appears Kurt or rude but this issue comes up a lot here. You have never sailed and now want to go sailing around the world or somthing like that.

Love the dream and the sense of adventure but you have no idea as to what is involved.

As previous post have said. Get a small daysailor, take some lessons learn what you don't know, have a ball learning. Then after a few years you will be in a better frame of mind with experience to understand what you think you want.

Sailors who fly a rag and think they can just do it are a danger to themselves and everyone else. My advise, if you want to be successful in this endeavour is to dream big but start small and work your way up to it.

Fairwinds and good luck
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail