Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 12:41   #151

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Mono vs. Multi - Sailing Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
And how well do those spreadsheets go to weather?

Seriously, you may want to consider backing away from the keyboard and getting a bit of tiller time. Trade the spreadsheets in for a couple of jib sheets and you may just discover the source of all that conventional wisdom you're rejecting.
Perfect!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:41   #152

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:

Seriously, you may want to consider backing away from the keyboard and getting a bit of tiller time. Trade the spreadsheets in for a couple of jib sheets and you may just discover the source of all that conventional wisdom you're rejecting.
I'm working on that, I only need to make a few hundred thousand more calculations and I'll be ready to hit it.

Conventional wisdom, however, I'm quite familiar with, and the sources are always the same - the main source being "convention", or "status quo" in the French. Perhaps that will be the name of my next French built catamaran - Status Quo
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:42   #153

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:

The C31 I am looking at goes to weather at a steady 55mph on cruise control behind my Sprinter van. Same for the Telstar T2 and the smaller Dragonfly tris. It is a one or two man job to raise and lower the mast on both the Telstar and Fboats, not so sure about the Dragonfly, but this is a a big OK in my book.

Tiller time in all of these boats often times means two fingers on the tiller going to windward, often times at double digit speeds.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:45   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I'm working on that, I only need to make a few hundred thousand more calculations and I'll be ready to hit it.

Conventional wisdom, however, I'm quite familiar with, and the sources are always the same - the main source being "convention", or "status quo" in the French. Perhaps that will be the name of my next French built catamaran - Status Quo

Oh one more things, I've changed my mind about racing that keelboat. I'm planning a course around some of the islands in the Florida Keys. I'm convinced that my Lagoon will leave behind your keelboat as if it were "standing still".
Old 27-06-2012, 12:47   #155

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Happy for him to clarify, currently I don't believe him. As for the only ever seen a multi when he was passing one, ahem, again - just don't believe him. The clear implication is that his Bendy 42 is faster than EVERY multihull out there. And faster than a lot of boats like Volvo 60s for that matter.

I try hard to stay out of these pointless discussions but when people tell outrageous porkies, well ya just gotta call em.
For the record, I will gladly trade my Bene for a FP, Leopard, Lagoon, (maybe even a Seawind!) for all those poor multihull folks that want increased performance. Just got a clean bottom and new folding prop, too! (My wife prefers the new Leopard 44 in case of multiple offers )

As for the rest of the thread...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:50   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Compression is what we call it; distortion is for Nikon shooters

cheers,
Nick.
As someone who owns an xti, d20, d40, d7, 1d2, 1d4 and just hitting the highlites mpe65, ts17, 16-35, 70-200, 100-400, and 500/ft I resent the slur on my camera choice.

Mike Rowland's Photos | Facebook
Old 27-06-2012, 13:02   #157

Here is a video that has an interesting take on water sailing">blue water sailing. Kinda funky at the beginning and end, but at least for me the middle part was well worth watching; especially the part about light verses heavy boats.

Old 27-06-2012, 13:07   #158
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As someone who owns an xti, d20, d40, d7, 1d2, 1d4 and just hitting the highlites mpe65, ts17, 16-35, 70-200, 100-400, and 500/ft I resent the slur on my camera choice.
Then you need to check again as that is all Canon gear, just like I have

p.s. here is the photography thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...und-75643.html

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 13:14   #159

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Ah but that is a Dashew video... you're cheating, that doesn't count! those do 300+ nm days all the time which isn't possible !!

cheers,
Nick.

Who say a couple cant make 300 day in confort and style, all in one, peformance, strenght thx to the aluminium construction, and beauty....

Love the meal in the table without fall down!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 14:00   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Who say a couple cant make 300 day in confort and style, all in one, peformance, strenght thx to the aluminium construction, and beauty....

Love the meal in the table without fall down!!!!
Exactly.. there's some CF members around with a bit smaller versions of same family:

We're hauling tomorrow and won't splash again until January, so see you all later!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:38   #161

Quote:
Ah but that is a Dashew video... you're cheating, that doesn't count! those do 300+ nm days all the time which isn't possible !!

cheers,
Nick.
That boat was 78 feet long. A beautiful boat no doubt but a good 20 feet longer than the Catana video I linked to. While I am not sure about the price point of a 78 foot monohull like that I do know I ruled out the Catana because I was not ready to spend half a million dollars on a boat.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:13   #162

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
That boat was 78 feet long. A beautiful boat no doubt but a good 20 feet longer than the Catana video I linked to. While I am not sure about the price point of a 78 foot monohull like that I do know I ruled out the Catana because I was not ready to spend half a million dollars on a boat.
Like I wrote, there's smaller ones in the family; I have 64' but there is also 60' and 56' Sundeer's out there.

Nick.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:26   #163

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I didn't read all 11 pages, so forgive me if its been said (I think it probably has).

You can't compare sailing performance. Well.. you can, but its not the main difference between the two. The livable space is the big difference and a Cat is far superior in that area.

If you want a boat that points well, you want a deep draft mono. If you want a boat that has lots of livable space and can go into shallow waters, you want a Cat.

I've also seen statements that Cat's are faster (haven't really seen this first hand yet) and if they are, so what if you can't point as high. Trade some speed for pointing ability.. And if speed is really a concern, get a gunboat.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 15:46   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I didn't read all 11 pages, so forgive me if its been said (I think it probably has).

You can't compare sailing performance. Well.. you can, but its not the main difference between the two. The livable space is the big difference and a Cat is far superior in that area.
You're not comparing monos and multis.

You're comparing low profile deep keel boats to high profile shallow keel boats.

Given similar livability and shallow draft features, the argument is that a multihull would sail with equal or better performance than the comparable monohull.

You've stated the conventional wisdom, but I'm arguing that it is incorrect. The fact that most mono are deep-keeled, and most multis are shallow-keeled is the source of the misunderstanding.

I contend that a deep-draft multihull would sail equally or better compared to a deep-draft monohull, assuming similar sail limits and top-deck design features (i.e. cabins, bimini's, pilothouses, etc)
Old 27-06-2012, 15:51   #165
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Given similar livability and shallow draft features, the argument is that a multihull would sail with equal or better performance than the comparable monohull.
You're getting closer. If you want to argue that a beamy, shallow-draft monohull with excessive freeboard would sail as poorly as most cruising multihulls, I suspect that a great many sailors will let you win this argument.

Tags
sailing