Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 11:44   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

I can't remember a thread on CF on this subject. Am I the only photog here or is the rest hiding?!

Come on forward if you share this hobby too! What kind of gear do you have, what works really well or not at all aboard, what kind of photography you like best, which subjects, techniques, which software you use etc. !

We have Canon 5D2 & 7D with glass that spans 12-200mm. We do everything, from landscape to macro and like it all. We are experimenting with clamps to take the place of tripods aboard.

Here's some examples:

Danger, reef!

Bzzzzzusy

Antz

Get close to make it look big

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:51   #2

Re: Any photographers with DSLR's around?

Great photos!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:55   #3

Boat: Union Polaris 36

we're just getting into it. we have a pentax k5. it is water resistant which hopefully helps in higher humidity, and we have a couple lenses. any older pentax lens will work in it too because it has internal stabilizers. so far just a few pics cause we're busy getting ready to leave on our long term cruise. we really like it. it's light and easy to use.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:01   #4

I'm picking up a Canon G12 soon. I don't want to drop the cash on the lenses for the DSLRs and I'm pretty sure the limiting feature for my photos will be the photographer, at least at this point in my life.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:09   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I was an avid Kodachrome shooter and into macro and landscapes back in the day. I just acquired a Nikon D3000, which I won in a photo contest using a snapshot taken by my Canon pocket-sized point-and-shoot. So, I'll be interested in reading digital tips and techniques here.

As far as cameras and lenses on a boat, watch out for the humidity. Here on Nevis, the humidity this past summer caused a spot of mold to grow inside the elements of the lens of my little Canon. A similar thing happened to my Leica binoculars. Bummer!
Old 27-01-2012, 12:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction
Great photos!
Thank you, I'll keep posting some, hoping it'll inspire others to take this up too

ciao!
Nick.

Old 27-01-2012, 12:50   #7

I have a Nikon D70s and a D200. Am pleased with both mainly use the D200. Old stuff I know,Lenses 18-200, 18-70, 70-300, 50 1.8, B600 flash. I have used a Gorilla pod to attach to the boat, but only when at dock or anchor.

I used to teach digital photography.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed
we're just getting into it. we have a pentax k5. it is water resistant which hopefully helps in higher humidity, and we have a couple lenses. any older pentax lens will work in it too because it has internal stabilizers. so far just a few pics cause we're busy getting ready to leave on our long term cruise. we really like it. it's light and easy to use.
Yay, Pentax k5 yes the weather proofing is an important feature and the reason most of the lenses we have are the red-ring L versions from Canon.

You will find that you need extra reach in 80% of all photo's taken aboard. The other 20% you need the opposite: wide angle. Reason is simply that you make 80% photo's of things around the boat that are quite far away for a camera and the other 20% is aboard with the cramped space.

I assume you have a standard (kit) 18-55mm zoom lens already. The two big items to add to that is a 12-24mm wide angle for everything aboard and landscape, and a 70-200mm lens for everything around the boat and wildlife ashore. We only use the standard zoom for walking around a bit.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 27-01-2012, 12:58   #9

Great photos Nick. When I go cruising, I'll have Pentax gear. Currently a K20D and K200D (both waterproof) plus lots of lenses.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
I'm picking up a Canon G12 soon. I don't want to drop the cash on the lenses for the DSLRs and I'm pretty sure the limiting feature for my photos will be the photographer, at least at this point in my life.
Hi Rebel.... you cant buy a G12... with your nickname you must buy at least a Rebel

But seriously, do not spend money on the G12. The camera you are looking for is the Canon G1-X. It has a sensor that is six times the size of the G12 and it will rival the entry level DSLR's and has a serious lens too. The only catch is that you will have to wait until March 31, when it is released. It'll give you time to save up for the price difference

The G1-X changes the game, exact fit for what you want!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 27-01-2012, 13:00   #11

Boat: Union Polaris 36

we have the 18-135 and the 18-55 water resistant lenses, and are going to pick up a fish eye lens. a wide angle would be nice, but not in the budget..yet. we're just starting out so patience is needed. cruising first, camera second.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:03   #12

Boat: too many

Nick,

Your pictures are awesome, great composure, and use of fill flash for the ants. Did you get any shots of Laura Dekker when she was aboard Jedi? I started photography with a folding 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 Weltex back in 1960. My dad taught me darkroom techniques and then I moved up to a 4X5 sheet film Linhof. Great camera, with the ability to adjust both film plane and lens plane, creativity is unlimited. My first business was Primo Photography back in 1971. Today, I'm just point and shoot with a Sony Cyber shot digital. I chose Sony because IMHO, they have the best image (not digital) stabilization of any point and shoot. That is handy for hand held, long focal length shots and shots while driving. I use this camera to take pictures at hot rod events and while I'm driving my hot rod.

This is my '23 Track-T.

The camera I am using

The above picture of me was taken by Mary Ann at the same time I was taking her picture, northbound 395 in Nevada.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
I was an avid Kodachrome shooter and into macro and landscapes back in the day. I just acquired a Nikon D3000, which I won in a photo contest using a snapshot taken by my Canon pocket-sized point-and-shoot. So, I'll be interested in reading digital tips and techniques here.

As far as cameras and lenses on a boat, watch out for the humidity. Here on Nevis, the humidity this past summer caused a spot of mold to grow inside the elements of the lens of my little Canon. A similar thing happened to my Leica binoculars. Bummer!
Haha of everybody I expected to pop up on the dark side of Nikon, you were not on that list Hud

You have to completely ignore anything like which brand is better or not because they all are similar. The newest model in each class is often the best so that hops over among all the manufacturers. That doesn't change anything about you being on the dark side of course

Us light side Jedi's aboard ehrmmm.. Jedi, also spend time on the www.dgrin.com forum, where the experts teach us and we keep trying. We even participate in contests there which are great fun! I wasn't even last haha.

In humid environment: buy a Pelican case or similar for storage. This gives complete protection when not in use, which is most of the time.

Download and install Adobe Lightroom and give it a free test drive. It takes the pain out of organizing photo's and handling RAW files. It also handles all but extreme editing tasks, geotagging, uploading on-line etc. well worth it's price, a no-brainer, although some prefer Apple Aperture instead.

The best on-line service is SmugMug.com. These are the same fellows that run Dgrin. All photo's I link are straight from SmugMug. For my blog, I can even request photo size in pixels like 470 pixels wide. Smugmug serves the picture resizing it on the fly!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 27-01-2012, 13:28   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Nikon D7000 with Nikor 18-200 f 3-5-5.6. Want to add a 400 for the longer shots but really have to use a tripod with that lense, tricky on a boat.

Have been a Nikon nut for years and still have a couple of F2s and a bag full of lenses. If there are any other old Nikon owners out there, there's a guy online that will adapt your old Nikon lenses to the new digital bodies. You give up the auto focus but, depending on the old lense model, still get most of the other functions. Wouldn't do it for most lenses but I have a classic Nikon 105 portrait lense and a really fast f 1.2 normal that I would like to keep.

When I win the lottery I'm drooling over the D3 series.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:35   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale
I have a Nikon D70s and a D200. Am pleased with both mainly use the D200. Old stuff I know,Lenses 18-200, 18-70, 70-300, 50 1.8, B600 flash. I have used a Gorilla pod to attach to the boat, but only when at dock or anchor.

I used to teach digital photography.
Oh my, a Dark Side Master please feel free to spam this thread with your knowledge, especially as I know very little of the Nikon side.

I have a gorilla pod too but have trouble trusting it. I bought a Manfrotto clamp instead that looks like the answer, but is as yet untested.

Here is a recent HDR shot I did. There are still ghosting artifacts in it that I missed but only photogs find these I use PhotomatixPro software for HDR but sometimes use Photoshop CS5 instead.

ciao!
Nick.