Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 17:44   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Mexico Pacific coast marinas

Hi all, going to be moving the boat north next month at least as far as S Mexico. If possible as far as Peuto Vallarta (yes I now it is to early in the season but cant wait).

Anyone any recommendations for a good place to leave a boat for 3 months along that coast? My pick so far is PARADISE VILLAGE MARINA which looks safe and reasonable priced. My main concern is whether there will be space or should I book ahead which would be a problem if I don't make it due to weather! Anyone been there and have info they can pass on?

Thanks
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 17:55   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Mexico Pacific coast marinas

You said south MX, PV is mid MX. In the south I could see leaving a boat in Huatulco. Good buscar station etc.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 17:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You said south MX, PV is mid MX. In the south I could see leaving a boat in Huatulco. Good buscar station etc.
South as in south of the gulf, thanks will look it up
Old 09-08-2017, 18:34   #4

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

this is old info as we summer I think was 1997,the marina was opening.
lovely place,cruiser friendly,nice location,lots of amenities.we stay until was safe to resume sailing south.
if you have to leave for several months perhaps can arrange with a cruiser who will remain,the harbor master might have somebody local to recommend for a fee and if you cannot find a suitable arrangement there is always a nice boatyard you can haul out and leave the boat on the hard.
As reservations i remember they used to offer a 'special' for the summer and yes book as earlier as possible,those slips did fill fast.
good luck
David

PS

My memory is fading,just remember another very nice marina south of Paradise Village we used was Ixtapa,a very nice marina,next to Zihuatanejo, Z town again has a lot of cruisers and could offer somebody to look after your boat.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27   #5

Send a message via ICQ to LByers

I've stayed in all the marinas in that area. Marina La Cruz Nayarit is a good option and my best choice. There's a very nice village there with lots of entertainment and restaurants. The slip prices change often so check before you go. Paradise Village is very gringo, but if you like that, there you go. The barnacles will build up quickly in all the marinas but much less so in La Cruz.
RPBA Instructor
www.professionalyachtdelivery.com
LByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:42   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are seeking cane hole marinas, there are only 2 designed as cane holes in mexico west coast. ixtapa and isla navidad, where we experienced patricia's eye and subsequent intense wrath.
FREQUENCY OF STORMS---Mazatlan has experienced no canes in 45 yrs. whether that means overdue as in magnet or safe is to be seen., i am here., the most reasonable prices in west coast mexico marinas is marina mazatlan. 6 month contract june 1 thru nov. under newish management they are currently tearing apart the bathrooms to renovate and upgrade. wifi is not too bad when you have a booster antenna, a must have for end of dock slips.
btw--also least pricey and on the costa alegre, is marina puerto de navidad, which i call isla navidad.
south of formation zone for canes is huatulco aka puerto angel. chiapas is also a good one,,,err puerto madera.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:50   #7

Boat: Custom 55

Hi, I used PV as my base for hurricane season for many years. Paradise village is an excellent facility. Dick Markie is the harbormaster, has been for 15-20 years. Hurricane Kenna passed right outside the bay in '02, very little damage to boats in Paradise.
P. Village is very much a tourist compound, with a mall right behind the marina. Resort access is included with your slip.

La Cruz is much more Mexican, and is where most of the cruisers are winding up these days. I'm pretty confident that of all the marinas in the bay, Paradise is your best bet for leaving a boat.

You shouldn't have a problem with slip availability anytime, but definitely not before November.

It's worth pointing out that this is an awful time to try to transit the Mexican coast, though. We're getting into the meat of the hurricane season, and good shelter is pretty hard to come by. There isn't really anyplace safe between Huatulco and Zee's hole for Patricia, and that's a long stretch at this time of year.
TJ
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55   #8

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Roland,
Have been in Paradise Village since end of April. Is very sheltered from weather. Might get something from TS Franklin as passes over Mexico. Might want to get reservation as rebuilding some of docks. Easy access to airport. La Cruz also ok. During season more cruisers but both have few people left. Huatulco docks NOT in great shape. Z town marina ok but no wifi on board & long walk to BRs.
Bruce
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:51   #9

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Have you considered/looked into La Paz, Baja California, Sur.? Nice town, airport, etc.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 18:43   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

The super duper stand up guy who ran Huatulco moved to a new marina, which I think is even further south. As the storm season ramps up, even further south might be better. Next stop would be Acapulco and you would be totally exposed in between. Acapulco would probably be safe but expensive. I would also think about Golfito, CR. The airport is right there. Remember this is a motor fest.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:37   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Lets also note that if you are going to spend summer on the Mexican Mainland an AC unit will keep you from turning into a puddle of melted cruiser dreams. You haven't experiences Heat and Humidity like that my friend!

I'm in La Paz right now and it's Hot, but livable....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:18   #12

Right now:
La Paz 97, real feel 108
San Carlos 98, real feel 121....!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Right now:
La Paz 97, real feel 108
San Carlos 98, real feel 121....!
La Paz 30% Humidity.....Puerto Vallarta 84%...

View from the cruisers pool at Marina Palmira....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:30   #14

Thanks for all the info and yes I do know it is a bad time to move but have no choice. Passage plan is basically to watch the weather closely and get as far north as time and weather permit. Next leg will be the Baha bash so the closer I can get the better. Will be nice to get into some cooler weather as I get north, I now understand why so many died building the Panama canal!!! But this summer has been somewhat exceptional, temp in the low 30's and we have a province wide state of emergency with 40,000+ evacuees due to wildfires - And I can see the Alaska boarder from town???

Tags
marinas, Mexico