Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 06:03   #61

Boat: Able 50
Re: Lost while the wife slept

One of these would be better.

FastFind Max-G PLB

If you prefer VHF then this is the one.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...542&id=1353167
Old 28-06-2011, 06:11   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lost while the wife slept

Maybe they did the sums... insurance etc and figured it was a lot better than flying to Switzerland for the 'Final Countdown'....
this way the family gets all the benefits...
Stranger things happen... at sea...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:35   #63
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

As for the rest, is idle, if plausible, speculation not allowed here?
Ahhhh....

Yes. It is. But it might be wise to limit the speculation to thoughtfully composed ideas, rather than glib comments. A man died here. A wife was left partnerless.

If you would be embarrassed to have that wife read your words then perhaps you might want to rethink them?

And Alchemy I'm not picking on you in particular, you just happened to ask the question.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 28-06-2011, 07:36   #64

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: the hatalie wood tragedy

Pullord, u mite want to paragraph your posts a bit. Those blocks of type are unreadable. And it looks as if you are saying things I'd to read ... I just can't.

Connemara
Old 28-06-2011, 08:30   #65
cruiser

www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

If one is to believe news reports at www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html deliberate overboard jumps are common among alot of somewhat nuts and hilarious acts that occur on cruises.Yes ,loss of lives is sad but most people choose the bed they lie in or the poisin they drink. I remember an incident years ago at the Grand Canyon in Arizona where a youhg guy fell off the edge while taking a pee and the family was calling for more guardrails to be installed while the "tree-huggers" were saying "hey that wrecks the view". There are always differences of opinion surrounding some tragedies.C arry on you wayward son they sing in Kansas as we are all 'Just dust in the wind". Cheers
Old 28-06-2011, 08:49   #66

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A few years ago, an older, exhausted, crew member was lost just North of Bermuda.
He was on the rescue rope ladder, but unable to climb.
Retrieval line was snapped on to his hand hold strap to be lifted.
Apparently no crotch straps, he slipped thru the PFD and sunk.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:10   #67
cruiser

man sailed overboard or went overboard sailing

-Many a sad story out there as on www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html and scroll down to jan 4th,2011. Guy drowned right at the dock and anyone that has been there knows how crowded that place usually is 24/7 when the boats are in.Speculation is it was suicide due to possible job loss.I would think these incidents are more common than the number of fatalities that are reported on the news TV or newsprint/internet as some arent even noticed missing for many hours if not days. Some are found later after sobering up on shore somewhere but many never are found.Perhaps some dont want to be found and are assuming a new identity somewhere else.That reminds me of some stolen passport that was never returned to me by diplomatic pooch after being stolen from me in Jamaica and later turned into the embassy as i guess the original thief had no use for my id. I never did receive the passport and other items such as address book,PADI license etc that the embassy described to me on the phone.When i made enquiries later the same employee at the embassy denied talking to me earlier at all. I just wrote this off as currption in the embassy as someone inside lost my stuff. To my surprise years later with the easy access of the internet by most all with skills i found my name and exact D.O.B. being used by someone in Trinidad. Assuming this person wants to escape some sort of oppression and has made no access to credit bureaus/card co. using my name i never bothered to contact authorities but have been curious as to what race they are black/white /asian perhaps some day i will go there to take a look at my "body-double".Now we are off thread topic.Must concentrate. Must get lighted keyboard on next computer i acquire or install spellcheck.Cheers
Old 28-06-2011, 10:39   #68

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I was really suprised the other day by a new guy at the marina and his 27 ft catalina sailboat, he is a retired methodis preacher who can't swim or is scared to try and he said if I see him in the water at the dock to come help save him. You would think learning to swim would come before buying a sailboat or any kind od boat, he's just an accident waiting to happen.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:12   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: the hatalie wood tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Pullord, u mite want to paragraph your posts a bit. Those blocks of type are unreadable. And it looks as if you are saying things I'd to read ... I just can't.

Connemara
I second the motion
Old 28-06-2011, 11:13   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I was really suprised the other day by a new guy at the marina and his 27 ft catalina sailboat, he is a retired methodis preacher who can't swim or is scared to try and he said if I see him in the water at the dock to come help save him. You would think learning to swim would come before buying a sailboat or any kind od boat, he's just an accident waiting to happen.
My father, who built, sailed and piloted boats his whole life - could not swim. He used to say he had an even bigger incentive not to fall in. And, he never did.

Knowing how to swim is great, but there are so many situations around boats in which that skill isn't going to save your life. More often than not, I find adults who are "good swimmers" use that as an excuse to defy the rules and take unnecessary chances.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:20   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
- www.newsnet5.com/06/07/2011 west chester.ohio.man disappears on jet ski. some religions like the mormons believe satan rules the seas and thus are afraid of the water or being on it.This belief comes from the story of Job where satan is walking on the floor of the ocean talking to God before God gives Satan permission to make Jobs life a living nightmare soas to test Jobs faith.Geez. Is that a long sentence or what.Only reason i know that little piece of mormon history is that i have some inllaws {outlaws?} that are mormon and decided to study their religion after being surprized that some were afraid to swim in he ocean which is something i enjoy. Truth is stranger than fiction and some people have little knowledge of their own church history as the church of england was formed so Henry 8th could get a divorce.The lutheran church was formed some believe so Luther could marry a nun. Cheers
Old 28-06-2011, 12:06   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

wtf is being talked about?
Old 28-06-2011, 12:09   #73

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Ahhhh....

Yes. It is. But it might be wise to limit the speculation to thoughtfully composed ideas, rather than glib comments. A man died here. A wife was left partnerless.

If you would be embarrassed to have that wife read your words then perhaps you might want to rethink them?

And Alchemy I'm not picking on you in particular, you just happened to ask the question.
I have already pointed out this thread to my wife, as a fine example of how experience at sea leads to differing appraisals of human nature.

She agreed that to discount out of "respect" why the man may have died and the wife was left partnerless would be to ignore what we know of human nature, and would be as naive as expecting a kid who had bumped off his parents to seek judicial mercy because he was an orphan.

You and I don't know what happened. We know what has been claimed as it has been reported, a partial process at best. The deceased (whose body is still, as far as I know, not found and therefore may not be deceased) either fell off or was pushed. While it's hard to avoid being pushed, there are methods available to the prudent mariner to stay aboard, methods which the report does not mention.

I would think that in a Cruiser's Forum, those methods are worthy of discussion. The sea can be dangerous. So can the crew. Plan accordingly.
Old 28-06-2011, 13:26   #74

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe they did the sums... insurance etc and figured it was a lot better than flying to Switzerland for the 'Final Countdown'....
this way the family gets all the benefits...
Stranger things happen... at sea...
My point, precisely.

There was more to the movie Dead Calm than Nicole Kidman's backside, but you say that to people and they don't believe you.
Old 28-06-2011, 13:40   #75

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Surely we need to be more tactful with our comments. Some of our wives visit this site and we don't need to be putting ideas in their heads.

Greg
Closed Thread