Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 12:01   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I'm not sure if people are belittling her as much as they are against the idea of Lat 38 exploiting a female as being in need. They are the one posting the pictures of her(in a bikini)...not Liz. As far as I can tell, she is not asking for anything. A while back she needed a fore sail (I think) and was donated one. I remember reading that family members were helping out too. I feel at that point she should have assessed her resources and done something then but to each their own. Chances are, people will help her in the yard she is in. I doubt she will need to hire outside labor for obvious reasons.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-05-2009, 12:17   #62
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some good news!

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that the difficulties Liz is facing may, in fact, not be as dire as originally assumed:

"Stan Honey is one of the three most admired and respected sailors to ever come out of Northern California, and he and wife Sally Lindsay-Honey are also Cal 40 owners. So when he says he has good news for Liz Clark, who discovered a mysterious leak beneath the engine of her Cal 40 Swell, and all other Cal 40 owners, you can rest assured that he knows what he's talking about."

For the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

Scroll down to "A Simple Solution for Cal 40 Owners."

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 12:33   #63

Boat: Buizen 48
For the record

Of course everyone has their individual thoughts and subsequent actions. However, to assume or guess what motivated Liz to seek resources from the "outside world" is beyond all our capabilities.

What we might be able to conclude is:

· Liz is a: perhaps naive (we don't know); perhaps commercially savvy opportunist (we don't know); relatively young, adventurous woman striving to achieve a goal. I suspect many on this site would dream about accomplishing the same goal. Thus the latter three qualities most people both on and not on this site, would admire in either a young man or woman (and likely more so because Liz is a young woman)
· Latitude is simply doing what "Latitude does", or for that matter any news oriented does: report (and too often in this day and age) generate and/or hype up news. My original post on Richard acknowledges this (i.e. he's a smart businessman)

From my professional capacity I can state that "environments and experience educate". I believe it would be fair to say that Liz has had more than simply a "helping hand" in her attempt to accomplish her goal. The long list of sponsors would validate this.

Again, from my professional capacity I could see how (though can not be certain) someone young could very easily conclude that "when help is needed, simply ASK for it, and your problems will be solved." (Remember "environments and experience educate")

However and unfortunately, I can also state with certainty that is not the way the real world works!

Thus the core of my two postings:

1. "Professionally, it's called a lack of accountability and taking responsibility .... Both qualities too many people it would seem in this day and age, have forgotten what they mean, and unfortunately act accordingly."

2. "Let Liz do what MOST other cruisers would have to do:
· put her yacht on the hard in Raitea
· Fly back to California
· Get a job to refill her kitty
· Then continue her dream"

For the record, the above postings are not based on my personal opinion, and instead are based on what I professionally believe would likely be best for Liz's healthy personal growth.

I also state for the record, it would be the rare person indeed who would turn their backs on a "Fairy Godmother" if one were to suddenly show-up ... though it MIGHT NOT be in their personal best interest if one did appear.

Old 13-05-2009, 12:52   #64
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Blue,

Have you read any of Liz's writings? Believe me I am not advocating sending her any money. I am surely not sending any. What I don't understand is the line being drawn into the sand with the word animosity written into it. She has been pretty darned resourceful up to now, and I have not read much. The small amount I have read is all positive in taking care of herself, and being resourceful.

Now it seems it is a small fix with the largest cost going to just hauling the boat. Mr. Honey should know he sailed Illusion into the record books single-handing. I have to admit I am kind of jumping for joy in Liz's corner, because once again she is going to overcome yet another problem. Hopefully she is thumbing her nose at the naysayers that looked down their nose at her. We all get through life differently. Her way is not going to hurt you one bit. Of course this all IMHO.........i2f
Old 13-05-2009, 14:28   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Her way is not going to hurt you one bit. Of course this all IMHO.........i2f
Of course it won't, however "her way" may not be in her "own best interest" long term ..... of course, there is never only one path from point A to point B.

Personal growth isn't about making right or wrong decisions. It's about making choices and learning lessons from the choices we make. Every choice has potentially negative and positive consequences.

Unfortunately, too many people keep on making the same choices over and over again, and consequently never learn the lesson experience hoped for us to learn.

However, there is more than enough statistically valid information that suggests certain choices and actions tend to lead to more potentially positive, personal growth wise, outcomes. Taking personal accountability and responsibility for any situation are most certainly two of them.

No worries, you are most certainly entitled to your opinion as humble as it may be .... it just may not be an informed one!
Old 13-05-2009, 15:00   #66
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
BS,

I think you're over-analyzing this. Liz is a young person, learning about life, testing her personal limits, having a hell of a lot of fun, and providing others with inspiration and entertainment through her writings along the way. Simple as that. Making moral judgments about her character traits is a bit silly, I think. And presumptuous, if you don't mind me saying so.

She is who she is, and is obviously loving it. That's good enough for me!
Old 13-05-2009, 15:02   #67

Boat: looking
First, let me say that I support any & all concepts which result in young, bikini-clad women to be out cruising, hopefully, in the same area as myself.Accountability? Responsibility? Great words to keep the worker-bees pushing their noses to the grindstone. Over the past year, we have watched corporate bigwigs & politicians take the money & run. $5,000 worth of donations is a drop in the bucket. At the end of our lives, do we turn around & commend ourselves for working our butts off & saving a lot of coin to pass on, or do we look back, maybe flat broke & with few possessions, & think, "Man, what a ride!"? To each, his/her own. As for me, I'm going sailing. If I run into someone along the way whom is struggling, I might help, whether they be a young, hot, bikini-clad woman or a 60-something geezer. Of course, I'll want to have more pictures taken of myself & the young woman, if only to bug the wife! lol Best of luck to the Liz Clark's of the world, they are the leaders of tomorrow!
Old 13-05-2009, 15:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
BS,

I think you're over-analyzing this. Liz is a young person, learning about life, testing her personal limits, having a hell of a lot of fun and providing others with inspiration and entertainment through her writings along the way. Simple as that.

Making moral judgments about her character traits is a bit silly, I think. And presumptuous, if you don't mind me saying so.

She is who she is, and is obviously loving it. That's good enough for me!
I don't mind you saying so, however that doesn't make your opinion anywhere near accurate. BTW, I didn't analyse her, nor make any moral judgement of her ... I suggest you re-read my post, perhaps you will assimilate it more accurately the second time.

I agree with everything you wrote in the first part above, though it is not in reality "simple as that" though perhaps it is to you, someone sitting on a yacht in the West Indies and retired (BTW, "well done", I think that's great, and hope you are having the time of your life).

You overlook the reality that Liz is also expecting others to "bail her out", and why not, so far many resources have been handed to her on a silver platter!

May I suggest you and others who have a view contary to my more informed one which conincidently aligns with many others on this thread, put your money were your mouths are: group together, demonstrate how "inspired and admired" you all are, and provide Liz with the $5,000 she seeks.

I might be forgiven for thinking you and the others who share your view of Liz won't do that. Talk is cheap ... and opinions are like *ssh*l*s, everyone has one.

My input is, as previously stated, based on many years of research, documented events, and personal professional experience!
Old 13-05-2009, 16:00   #69
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
But have you read Liz?......i2f
Old 13-05-2009, 16:34   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post

Hey Aussie that video is one of my favorite songs. It woke me for years every morning. The only one to equal the rendition of Sachmo is Iz where he slips into the middle of OVER THE RAINBOW......i2f
Iz was one of my all time favs. His cousin Mike is a friend of mine from my days living in Honolulu. I first met IZ in 1992 when he was still occasionally performing with the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau. I was lucky enough to hear him live quite a few times. Iz & Henry have gotta be amongst the greatest ambasadors of Hawaian luv eva. The early 90's was a special time in da islands - musically and otherwise.

You Kamaaiana? Life sure started to change on Oahu after so many folks could no longer afford to stay after all those lease to fee conversions in the mid 90's. I watched with great sadness as people had to leave everything behind and move to the mainland. Really had a negative effect on the Aloha spirit. Now there is a whole new generation most concerned about making a buck. The sense of genuine Aloha seems to have taken a mortal hit. A quote that really stuck with me from my time in the islands was:

"A true test of character is what you'll do for someone who can do nothing for you".

Still as applicable as ever....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 13-05-2009, 16:41   #71

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
I agree with everything you wrote in the first part above, though it is not in reality "simple as that" though perhaps it is to you, someone sitting on a yacht in the West Indies and retired (BTW, "well done", I think that's great, and hope you are having the time of your life).
Wow, you don't like a young person out living an adventure, you make assumptions about me, and now you are showing just a little bit of envy what looks like disdain for yet another member, although you managed to thinly veil it with a somewhat flippant "almost" compliment.

Well done.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Old 13-05-2009, 18:30   #72

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Moderators!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-05-2009, 18:59   #73

Just curious, Where (how?) did she get her boat from?
Old 13-05-2009, 19:00   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Due to the personal attacks and nastiness this thread has been closed.
Closed Thread