Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Liz Clark Needs Help!

I know many of us have enjoyed Liz Clark’s wonderful logs over the past few years and she has been an inspiration to many of us who are preparing to get out there.

Unfortunately, Liz has encountered a serious hull delaminating issue with her Cal 40 that will require her to haul out again. If you follow her on a regular basis, you will know that she just spent months preparing for the second part of her circumnavigation.
Liz has never asked for any help…and judging from her character over the years of her voyage, she must be in a dire situation.
I plan to send her enough for at least a few gallons of epoxy and glass cloth.

Old 11-05-2009, 13:48   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes further explanation on her plight.

"Several times in the last four months or so, we've had reports from Liz Clark on the extensive refit she did on her Cal 40 Swell at Raiatea, French Polynesia. Clark, you'll remember, is the young woman from Santa Barbara who is doing an open-ended sailing-surfing safari, most of it singlehanded. Her writings for Changes have been among the most popular features in Latitude."

For the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 11-05-2009, 14:42   #3
cruiser

Good on Lat-38!!
Old 11-05-2009, 17:10   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I don't get it, I want a new boat, why doesn't someone give me the money?

Old 11-05-2009, 17:15   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I don't get it, I want a new boat, why doesn't someone give me the money?
Well, Latitude 38 has an interest because she's providing them with very compelling copy. My interest in her situation is generated because I've found that reading her accounts of her voyage is inspiring. I think Trim feels the same way, but he can speak for himself.

TaoJones
Old 12-05-2009, 07:36   #6
cruiser

I believe the answer for Dana is self-evident.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
I'm quite sure there are many hundreds of cruisers out there who are facing costly and unexpected repairs to their boats, but none of them are asking for handouts. And if I'm not mistaken, her voyage was initially bankrolled by somebody other than herself. Liz is clearly an able-bodied person; why can't she go to work to build the cruising kitty like most people?

I can't imagine sending a dime to support her. I don't begrudge her living the dream she is, but giving her my hard-earned money when she could be working? I don't think so.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25   #8

Boat: Buizen 48
Ditto from my deck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I'm quite sure there are many hundreds of cruisers out there who are facing costly and unexpected repairs to their boats, but none of them are asking for handouts. And if I'm not mistaken, her voyage was initially bankrolled by somebody other than herself. Liz is clearly an able-bodied person; why can't she go to work to build the cruising kitty like most people?

I can't imagine sending a dime to support her. I don't begrudge her living the dream she is, but giving her my hard-earned money when she could be working? I don't think so.
Ditto from my deck!

Professionally, it's called a lack of "accountability and taking responsibility" .... both qualities too many people it would seem in this day and age, have forgotten what they mean, and unfortunately act accordingly.

It has, in part, been precipitated by a prevalent "social disease": political correctness
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30   #9

People get sponsored these days for doing things. Bizarre but it's marketing and companies see it as value to them.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
And BTW, if she wasn't the hot little surfer chick that she is, nobody (certainly not Latitude 38) would be paying attention, IMHO.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30   #11

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Meh, I say good for her and good on Lat 38, she is living the dream and is having someones else flip the bill. Thats called 'enterprising', so long as it's not tax payers money or anything, then who cares?

I doubt anyone here would say no to having a company pay their way around the world. If you would then you are likely way to wealthy to have money concerns, or you're fooling yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
It has, in part, been precipitated by a prevalent "social disease": political correctness
I do have to agree with your distaste for this particular social disease. I get sick of so much political correctness. But in this case I do not know the young lady well enough to find her guilty of lacking responsability. I do know she is sailing, which is what I want to be doing.

I can also agree she is a "hot little surfer chick", but can you really hold that against her?

My club www.SYClub.ca
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
hot little surfer chick
That should provide her with a few hits from here

I bet she used to be called Nigel............
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44   #13

What she look like? Is this yet another example of someone with or without talent, cashing out on their looks?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50   #14

Quote:
I don't begrudge her living the dream she is, but giving her my hard-earned money when she could be working? I don't think so.
I definitely understand the sentiment, but I'll share precisely what my grandmother shared with me:

Between my 2nd and 3rd year of University, I came up with the hair-brained idea that I'd like to take a year off from school and travel Australia and the South Pacific (what 20 year old wouldn't? duh). I of course received the predictable response from my parents - (put down the hash pipe kid and put your nose back in that book). While lamenting my fate with my grandma, for some reason I decided to casually ask her if she wanted to help (in more of a kinda rhetorical fashion). MUCH to my surprise she said YES! A few years later, after graduating Uni and having started working, I asked her what made her give me the money? First she said "Because I asked for it". Later she shared with me that both she and my Grandpa had raised my dad to basically work his way into the grave - dreams could wait (til just when exactly is anyones guess). She'd watched her husband do the same and he never got to experience his dreams before he died. She said I was a responsible kid, and she'd no doubt that I'd be following in my dad's footsteps and dutifully working myself towards my own eventual grave - so might as well have some accomplished dreams to carry with me since my Grandpa didn't have any, and it was unlikely my dad would either. She said THAT was good enough of a reason for her.

That trip changed my life. While she was correct that I was a responsible kid, and would no doubt have followed in much of my dads footsteps - that trip changed just how I went about it. I went to work after Uni, and worked hard - but I also took an average of 4 months off work every year for my own enjoyment (still drives my dad crazy). I purchased a home (but rented it out and lived in hotels paid for by the consulting firm I worked for). I invested wisely, but I also had no problem purchasing the many toys needed for my enjoyment along the way. That trip taught me that there were many more ways of living life than just the one that I'd been groomed for, and my dad before me - and his before that. Had it not been for that trip, at THAT time - it's VERY likely I would have just continued the cycle that I'd been prepared for. I can't say enough just how appreciative I am that I was able to jump out of the rat race before ever getting my feet settled into it. Last thing my grandma told me before she died was to never stop living MY dreams - not the dreams the world had for me.

My grandma was in a position to help me live a dream, and helped. My life was forever changed for the better. I'm, much as a result of her generosity, in a position to do the same. If she would have never asked, then I no doubt would have never offered to help. But she has asked - I'm capable of comfortably helping, and I like the idea of helping someone live a dream. I feel much better about the good the money I just sent Liz will do, than I do about money I just sent to the King county treasury for my property taxes. My remittance to Liz made me smile. My remittance to King County made me cringe (especially in light of the growing pothole at the exit of my neighborhood that I have to navigate around every day grrrrr.)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02   #15
cruiser

I'll just repeat what I said on Cruiser Log, and that is...

Liz is truely talented with words and increasingly so with the camera and surf board. She will overcome this and the next challenge because she exemplifies what most of us wish for in life.

Seeing as how Liz is from my alma mater (UC Santa Barbara), I feel obligated as a fellow sailor and Gaucho to follow her travels and lend a hand when needed...just as I do with Alex of Planet Blue Sphere ...and a growing list of other UCSB grads setting sail.

Liz is no charity...if you help it is because you want to see and read the next chapter of a life being well lived. If she didn't offer anything, I wouldn't bother my fellow sailors with such a thread.
Closed Thread