Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 10:04   #16

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Meh, I say good for her and good on Lat 38, she is living the dream and is having someones else flip the bill. Thats called 'enterprising', so long as it's not tax payers money or anything, then who cares? ?
It's enterprising only if it is a joint commercial initiative, and there is nothing to suggest, from her part at least, she went into it for that reason.

Quote:
I doubt anyone here would say no to having a company pay their way around the world. If you would then you are likely way to wealthy to have money concerns, or you're fooling yourself.
Sorry mate, that would facilitate your not being accountable and not responsibile ..... you would be dependent. Be assured on the inside your self-esteem would suffer, unless of course you misguidingly "get off" on being dependent on others ... as too many do.

Quote:
But in this case I do not know the young lady well enough to find her guilty of lacking responsability. I do know she is sailing, which is what I want to be doing..
So what is it mate, is she enterprising or not taking responsibility? ... you can't have it both ways! What we apparently do know is she:
  • is seeking financial donations/handouts
  • didn't (perhaps) initially fund the trip herself
  • Latitude isn't now prepared to pick-up the tab for repairs (so much for your earlier "enterprise arrangement" position)
Where I come from (professionally) that adds up to a lack of accountability and taking responsibility ... on both her and Latitude's part (if they did in fact initially fund her).

Of course knowing Richard (Latitude's publisher) being the sharp businessman that he is, he may very well cut a deal for "initial help to get started, then you are on your own sweetie". Not a bad deal: he gets all the copy regardless of what transpires.......

Quote:
I can also agree she is a "hot little surfer chick", but can you really hold that against her?
Now that is one thing I would be happy to do and donate towards!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
What she look like? Is this yet another example of someone with or without talent, cashing out on their looks?
She's ok looking. But she can gut a fish, fix a radar, stick her hand into a yucky bilge without freaking out, tough out week of storms alone with her vessel falling into disrepair, get sliced and diced by coral reef without wimpering about broken nails, and and she doesn't seem like the type that just wants to get knocked up and breed her way to security. Considering how difficult it is to find women with these qualities these days, I wnna do everything I can to help restock the pond with these hearty types! Me Likey! lol

On the left.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post

Seeing as how Liz is from my alma mater (UC Santa Barbara), I feel obligated as a fellow sailor and Gaucho to follow her travels and lend a hand when needed...just as I do with Alex of Planet Blue Sphere ...and a growing list of other UCSB grads setting sail.
Didn't know you were a Guacho. I spent my high school years terrorizing Isla Vista (halloweens on DP were crazy in the 80's). Graduate of SB high. Parents are still in town over in Hope Ranch (Mesa side just up from the Pelican). I'll admit that helping out a local SB gal had something to do with my interest! hehe...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22   #19

From the Daily Nexus: UCSB's newspaper:

"Hair Raiser, however, is far from Clark’s only sponsor. The former collegiate women’s national surfing champion has been picked up by companies like Patagonia, Gallaz clothing company, J7 Surfboards and Da Kine.
In addition to the corporate sponsors, on her personal website - Surf environment, surf culture, surf shaping, shaping room, women surfers, where's Liz, Surf lifestyle, Surf life, Surf History - Wetsand.com - 25-year-old Clark thanks the support of the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum, whose board members include UCSB Professor Emeritus of Environmental Studies Barry Schuyler. Schuyler helped Clark obtain the Swell."

Bottom-line: Let these "sponsors" pick-up her tab for repairs, my money continues to go towards MY sailing kitty!

Of course if anyone on this forum wants to contribute instead to enabling me to leave NZ sooner .... well ....
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Bottom-line: Let these "sponsors" pick-up her tab for repairs, my money continues to go towards MY sailing kitty!
Most people have very little understanding of what "sponsorship" entails and seem to always jump to the conclusion that it means the writing of a fat check. That is, much more often than not, rarely the case.

I can assure you that virtually every single one of Liz's sponsors who have an association with surfing have contributed product, not money, to her effort. And, as often as not, the product is not something the sponsored person wants or needs, but something the sponsor doesn't want or need any longer. For them, it is a cheap way to get their name on a list of sponsors who are eager to have their company and/or product associated with someone who can garner them free publicity.

It is a mistake, as well, to assume that Latitude Publishing underwrote Liz Clark's initial effort. Their's is a mutually-beneficial agreement: She provides the written account of her experiences; they possess the rights to her original content and publish it. And many would be surprised how little the income from that can amount to. Latitude 38's greatest contribution at this point is to publicize her plight - those who read of her situation and wish to contribute are free to do so.

That those who do not want to contribute to her effort monetarily instead "contribute" their indignant points-of-view to this thread is unfortunate, I suppose, but not surprising. Liz will carry on in spite of her current set-back and the kvetshes on the sidelines, and, I suspect, become a better person for it - much like Suede's grandmother.

Would that the world were inhabited by more such kind-hearted people.

TaoJones
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31   #21
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
halloweens on DP were crazy in the 80's

I was there in the late 80's when it was the wildest party spot around...good good memories.
Old 12-05-2009, 13:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
Liz will carry on in spite of her current set-back and the kvetshes on the sidelines, and, I suspect, become a better person for it - much like Suede's grandmother.
I just love the expressive sound of Yiddish; which, incidentally, offers more ways of identifying various kinds of "idiots" (with all their subtle variations) than Eskimos have for different kinds of snow.

One can kvetch (complain) or be a kvetch (a complainer) [plural kvetches].

Old 12-05-2009, 13:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I just love the expressive sound of Yiddish; which, incidentally, offers more ways of identifying various kinds of "idiots" (with all their subtle variations) than Eskimos have for different kinds of snow.

One can kvetch (complain) or be a kvetch (a complainer) [plural kvetches].
My mother always use to say:

"When you point a finger at someone, there are usually three pointing back at yourself."

I've used that statement more times than I could ever imagine when attempting to facilitate clients "seeing the light". Of course I am unfortunately not always successful
Old 12-05-2009, 13:16   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Well Gordo, in light of your appreciation for Yiddish, I suppose your also recongnize a Schnorrer when you see/meet one, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-05-2009, 13:19   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well Gordo, in light of your appreciation for Yiddish, I suppose your also recongnize a Schnorrer when you see/meet one, eh?
Not necessarily*.

I expect that these pisher, nebbish, & nedniks, like to characterize Liz as a schnorrer; but I* don't see her as a Homer Simpson "borrow to keep" type beggar.

* Maggie has, on occasion, doubted my character assessment abilities. Her's are impeccable, so ...

Old 12-05-2009, 13:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That those who do not want to contribute to her effort monetarily instead "contribute" their indignant points-of-view to this thread is unfortunate, I suppose, but not surprising. Liz will carry on in spite of her current set-back and the kvetshes on the sidelines, and, I suspect, become a better person for it - much like Suede's grandmother.

TaoJones
Indignant??? Kind-hearted???

How manyy would regard themselves as having behaved in the latter manner with their children only to find they raised kids that expect everything should come easy? Their called Gen Y

As fsstbttm stated: "I don't begrudge her living the dream she is, but giving her my hard-earned money when she could be working? I don't think so."

Let Liz do what MOST other cruisers would have to do:
  • put her yacht on the hard in Raitea
  • Fly back to California
  • Get a job to refill her kitty
  • Then continue her dream
I might be forgiven for thinking many on this post have Gen Y kids!
Old 12-05-2009, 13:54   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42
"By Now, Pay Later--Maybe"

Perhaps I am not being much of a mench here but in this case I agree with BlueSovereign.

I look at Liz and think of my own daughter and, in some respects, feel I would like to help. But then I also think of what I would say to my daughter as well.

"You are grown up now, doing grown up things and it is time to accept responsibilty for yourself as a grown up. Store the boat termporarily, put your gratification on hold, get a job and start saving your money. In a few months you'll have what you need, if it really means that much to you; and, if not, it really wasn't all that important to you."

I don't know about the rest of the world but I know that in the US, one of the primary problems we suffer from is the near insatiable need for immediate gratification, which has given rise to the credit card generation. "Buy Now, Pay Later" (and if you can;'t pay later no worries, elect a politician that will make your lender the bad guy and wipe out your debts for your).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-05-2009, 13:55   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Whilst I have in the past been quite "forthright" in my posts on folk appearing on CF.com with a begging bowl in hand / seeking a free lifestyle..........to be fair to Liz she has not approached folk here herself.

And IMO given that part of her income stream is by writing about her adventures / travails she would be an idiot not to use the platform she has built up elsewhere on the internet to publicise and seek help with her setback........whether that be with the blunt tool of a website begging button or from seeking help in person or simply ideas and knowledge (as we also seek and provide on CF.com).

Having said that, I won't be sending any money , mainly because I have not been following the adventures of Liz, partly because I am still saving up for my "Dollar a Day" cruising fund and also because for USD5,000 accross the internet I would expect "my" blonde chick to be doing something else than keel repairs. possibly involving a Giraffe (see recent thread ). or 2......
Old 12-05-2009, 15:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Liz has never asked for any help…
From Liz's blog:

"Swell has another leak, a delamination due to a flaw in the original molding of the Cal 40 design.... It's difficult to tell how big the project will be until the hull is opened up, but I estimate needing to raise about $5,000. After spending all my savings during the last haul out, I need help.

"

Hmmmm, perhaps I should investigate establishing a PayPal account ...... as I could dock my yacht so much easier with a bow-thruster....

In NZ there is a beer company that places statements made by people in the public arena on billboards, followed by the words "Yeah right!"

I can visulize the Tui Beer Billboard now:

"Liz has never asked for any help ... Yeah right!"

I rest my case... Trim50
Old 12-05-2009, 15:27   #30

Liz,

Call Cal, Harken, North Sails, West Marine...Icom, Volvo... and tell them to sponsor you.
Closed Thread