Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18   #31

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

I spent the past 13 summers cruising our Caliber 28. We just took a big jump up in size to a Tayana 58, but I already see the relative allure of the 28.

For two or three people doing coastal cruising, the Caliber 28 was ideal. We would go out for a week or two at a time and have sufficient storage for all our gear and provisions. The relatively shallow draft (4'1") allowed us to get into places without fear of going aground. The short LOA not only made transient dockage cheaper, but enabled us to stay in places that could not accommodate a larger boat (Biddeford Pool comes to mind). Fewer systems on the boat meant more time cruising and less time maintaining. Much lighter displacement meant less stress in docking.

We travelled differently, though. No refrigeration meant getting a block of ice every few days, and also meant that instead of running the engines to charge the house batteries we would use a oil-fueled lamp to light the cabin at night. Limited tankage and lack of a water maker meant water conservation was paramount and long hot showers required going ashore. In New England, I never felt the lack of air conditioning was a problem, although occasionally I did miss having radar. For better and for worse, it was more like camping.

Ultimately, though, our family of seven couldn't stay for long on the 28'-er without tripping over one another. Add to that the desire to go farther (although the more I travel, the more I realize that New England is a great cruising area), and the move to a larger boat became attractive.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33   #32

30' is small?!! My 30' C&C is the biggest boat I've ever owned.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

Lived aboard a Virgo Voyager for 2 yrs.. most of my boats have been under 24ft... Hurley 22, Corribee 21, Magyar 7m, Virgo 23, Westerly 22, Mawester 22 and others.. have sailed them to France, Spain and Portugal across the Biscay.. if your not opposed to height restrictions no problems.. also its down to why you sail.. and how much you need..
Damn.. forgot the most fun ones... Wharram Tiki 21 and 26ftrs....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22   #34

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

My new-to-me boat was always my dream boat. It came with more do-dads than I actually need, but I don't have to replace them if/when they fail. And even tho geriatric, I can still push it around physically and clean the bottom myself. And it handles like a dream. I have cruised the Fl and Gulf coasts mostly on a Cal 24, and Wharram Hinemoa 24, a Pearson 26, and a couple of 20 fters. This 29 fter has just the right amount of room. For one.

I am often on the small boat soapbox but I shouldn't be. The big boat folks get what they need to be comfortable, it just isn't what I need. The 3 long term women in my life all swore they loved sailing. Two were pretty good sports, the other came aboard just once.

A Hudson Force 50 just came in next to me this morning. Beautiful boat, bow thrusters and associated whatnot. I oooooh and aaaahhhh a bit but I am happy with my choice.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24   #35

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Our B24 Sojourner was one of our favorite boats... I would have taken her anywhere with no reservation and the only thing that, in my opinion, made her unsuitable for cruising was the lack of storage space. We had a shoreside storage room that was very close by and that is how we managed living aboard her. I just couldn't figure out where you would begin to put all the things you would need for cruising...
That is a good looking vessel… Ours is mostly mine… weekend with one grandkid or another, daysailing with grandma a me and any longer trips will be solo… Not the fastest boat on the planet, but one of the easiest motions in this size vessel…

Do you have a blog/website… would like to see how you rigged your chainplates as I plan to split the lowers similar to yours… am on the hard for now, with the mast down to re-rig and rewire, and cabin needs much TLC (again…). I have opening ports I plan to install (whenever – too many projects, building an airplane too…) and have been taking notes on Roger Taylor’s refurbishment of MingMing II, but much of that is over my head (and beyond what I need). But overall I like the B24 and as an old soldier (very) generally content living out of a rucksac, this size/displacement is about perfect for me…
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33   #36

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I have a blog for the Catalina 25 we have just started renovating but nothing on there pertaining to the B24 as we sold it years ago. I may have some closer up pictures of the chainplates, but probably nothing that is going to tell you anything. Lance had them custom fabricated by a machine shop in San Diego. He did all the angle calculations but I know we don't have any notes or anything any more.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:40   #37

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
I have a blog for the Catalina 25 we have just started renovating but nothing on there pertaining to the B24 as we sold it years ago. I may have some closer up pictures of the chainplates, but probably nothing that is going to tell you anything. Lance had them custom fabricated by a machine shop in San Diego. He did all the angle calculations but I know we don't have any notes or anything any more.
Well let's see the blog address.

You should put it in your signature.

Jesse
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27   #38

http://oldragbaggers.com (of course)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07   #39

Quote:
I may have some closer up pictures of the chainplates, but probably nothing that is going to tell you anything...
OK, I can probably drag out my old trig book and do the math – but do you off-handedly recall their approx. thickness (I assume 316 stainless, or…), and perhaps what the hull was backed up with…
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08   #40

They were 316 stainless, do not remember the thickness, and there were also stainless backing plates on the inside
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34   #41

Boat: Balboa 27

I spend 3 months/year cruising mexico on the balboa 27 I bought for $3000.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43   #42

Quote:
They were 316 stainless, do not remember the thickness, and there were also stainless backing plates on the inside
Thx...
Old 02-04-2014, 13:46   #43

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lived aboard a Virgo Voyager for 2 yrs.. most of my boats have been under 24ft... Hurley 22, Corribee 21, Magyar 7m, Virgo 23, Westerly 22, Mawester 22 and others.. have sailed them to France, Spain and Portugal across the Biscay.. if your not opposed to height restrictions no problems.. also its down to why you sail.. and how much you need..
Damn.. forgot the most fun ones... Wharram Tiki 21 and 26ftrs....
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:03   #44

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Does my two kids and I living aboard a Jim Young Rocket 31 count? So far have only cruised locally, but have a 6 week window dedicated to cruising this July/Aug. I am really looking forward to this.
The 31' is surprisingly big actually - she is beamy, includes two quarterberths, and has a reasonably sized saloon. It's nice cruising at a reasonable clip and it keeps the days short for the kids. Storage is a challenge but we get by.
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:30   #45

Boat: Hunter 27

I have a Cal 20 that I sail on the great lakes. I am heading to the Bahamas. It has a sink propane stove and shower. Sleeps 4. What it doesn't have is a smooth ride or headroom. 26 to 32 seems to have all the comforts. I have enough space but I only do weekends. The trip to the Bahamas will be the real test. All my friends said they upgraded to 32 to 44 to keep the wife's happy. The 44 Hunter has more room than my house but my cal has more miles. They only left dock 4 times. My next one will be 26/28 range. The price is still ok in that range.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise