Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 12:17   #16

Maine Sail: url? I looked a wee bit for the specifics, but didn't find that specific document. Instead, both the USCG and CCG refered to the ABYC standard.

(The intensity formula is very interesting, and suggests very low luminosity will meet the requirements. To meet the 2 mile requirement the nav light only needs 4.3 candela!)

Found the source: US Department of Homeland Security: 33 CFR 84: ANNEX I - INLAND POSITIONING & TECHNICAL DETAILS OF LIGHTS & SHAPES

Note that those are the inland rules. the international rules are simpler, and can be found at US Department of Homeland Security: ANNEX I: INTERNATIONAL POSITIONING & TECHNICAL DETAILS OF LIGHTS & SHAPES

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 14:16   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
So how many boats have legal lights?

If the legality of the light can be in question I would hazard a guess that 99% of all yachts would have one or more navigation lights that do not meet some relevant specification.

I am not aware of any lights being fully tested after a few years in service.

It's like saying that you are liable for a automobile accident if you fit non original bulbs to your car.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 15:27   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If the legality of the light can be in question I would hazard a guess that 99% of all yachts would have one or more navigation lights that do not meet some relevant specification.

I am not aware of any lights being fully tested after a few years in service.

It's like saying that you are liable for a automobile accident if you fit non original bulbs to your car.
In the U.S. there was no certification for nav lights for recreational boats before 2002. After that time manufacturers were required to install USCG certified light fixtures on recreational boats. I'll have to look, but I posted this before somewhere here, with links. I believe that I discovered later that the links no longer work, but a search on that website found the relevant page.

Years ago, one of our club boats (many years pre 2002) was run into by an allegedly drunk powerboater at night. He managed to get out of many of his problems by having our club boat surveyed. The original nav lights mounted in molded in flats in the hull made by a well known nav light manufacturer were found to not meet (current ?) standards. I never did find out how they were deficient.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 15:55   #19

There's no such thing as a "legal" light; some are coast guard approved and some are not. The legality (or not) is whether a light meets the angle and distance requirements.
Actually, for manufacturers of recreational craft in the US there is such a thing as "Legal". I know, I have been through it with the coast guard inspector and had lights rejected on new boats that were nearly finished. The light must have the USCG approved certification no's molded or permanently marked on the case..
I do not know if that applies to what private owners do to their boats or not. I think the odds of anyone ever looking are about zero once the boat is in use......
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 17:11   #20

Yah, if you sell something with nav lights they have to be Coast Guard approved. But if you don't sell it with lights...

I found this bit in the COLREGS annex interesting:
Quote:
11. Intensity of non-electric lights
Non-electric lights shall so far as practicable comply with the minimum intensities, as specified in the Table given in Section 8 of this Annex.

But the funniest one was when I found out my comment about carbon-arc light sources was WRONG:

Quote:
8. Intensity of lights
Note: The maximum luminous intensity of navigation lights should be limited to avoid undue glare. This shall not be achieved by a variable control of the luminous intensity.
Personally, I can't wait to upgrade my nav lights to LEDs, but I think I'll be buying all-new fixtures. It's not that I can really afford it, it's to avoid the possible legal/technical hassles. So it's yet another thing delayed until money is saved up before I get to enjoy the energy savings as well as the peace of mind.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 18:41   #21

Boat: Beneteau 50
So anyone have a link to the "approoved" LED navigation lights, or housing + aftermarket?

I think it Series 40 and add Dr. LEDs. Is that correct.

(Not an academic question, I have to replace the red/green lens on the bow, so I might as well do it right.)
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 19:36   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Check out Lopolight.

Lopolight Navigation lights LED based info@lopolight.dk tel: +45 3248 5030
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 23:26   #23

Boat: Sea Urchin II
I love the power savings of LED lights, I utilise them for cabin lighting & I use them on bow and stern (running lights) for when in harbour areas, however, I have the old globe inside my masthead light which I use when at sea.

The reason for this is I have sailed in company with a few yachts, the ones using LED masthead lights disappear from view a lot faster than the incandescent (no the LED yachts are not faster!!)

For me it’s a balance, I know I am using more power with the old globes but for the time being they are the brightest. LED technology is moving fast and it will only be a matter of time before I go LED, just not yet.
Old 01-04-2009, 19:23   #24

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
We have just replaced all interior lighting, running, tri, and anchor. Big amp savings, like adding another solar panel. We used Ancor bulbs in the dome lights, Dr. LED for two chart spot lights. Running lights are Aqua Signal 25. Tri and Anchor are Series 40, all are Dr. LED.

We had seen somewhere, on some forum, rechargeable, LED, small black base lamps, with small shades, which can be moved around inside or out, and are bright enough to read by, without drawing from the bank. Cannot find them now, forgot where to look. They were around $112.00, but were praised highly by the poster.

Has anyone seen these for sale, we would like two if we can find them?
Old 01-04-2009, 19:46   #25

Boat: islandpacket
[quote=orion1;270555]We had seen somewhere, on some forum, rechargeable, LED, small black base lamps, with small shades, which can be moved around inside or out, and are bright enough to read by, without drawing from the bank. Cannot find them now, forgot where to look. They were around $112.00, but were praised highly by the poster.

Has anyone seen these for sale, we would like two if we can find them?
/quote]

Wireless Lighting, LED Lighting, Puck Lights, Light Strips Camping World - LED Lighting - Camping World
I bought some of these. I use a small 12 volt plug in battery charger to charge the AA batteries for the light. Put in the under counter lights last year and they still work. The LED light tube swivels. I use it in the bunk as a reading light. I put a larger one over the galley sink. Really helps. Also in case you have to shut down the boat electric you still have some lights. I also mounted some small red led lights in the head and under the steps to use as a night light. You can move around at night without turning on the bright lights.
Old 01-04-2009, 22:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
So anyone have a link to the "approoved" LED navigation lights, or housing + aftermarket?

I think it Series 40 and add Dr. LEDs. Is that correct.

(Not an academic question, I have to replace the red/green lens on the bow, so I might as well do it right.)
I just put a new tri/anchor light on from these guys:

https://secure.orcagreen.com/xcart/home.php?cat=249 It has great visibility, draws nothing, and the anchor light is controlled by a photocell. And it's CG approved...
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Lopolight LED Navigation Lights claim “worldwide approval”.
Goto:
Lopolight Navigation lights LED based info@lopolight.dk tel: +45 3248 5030
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lopolite.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	7657  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 13:47   #28

I use Hella’s for anchor and stern. The bicolor are too expensive. What I like about Hella’s is that they incorporate a voltage regulator in all their LED’s “8-28V Multivolt circuitry ensures consistent safety and lamp protection even under low battery voltages.”
News & Products from Hella marine - Hella marine
chala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights