Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 18:16   #16

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'
Re: Laser Rangefinder Anyone use for anchoring?

I haVe yet to do any anchoring but want to start. UsiNg a laser rangefinder is a super idea. A quick look on Amazon showed many brands. What brands/models have you all had good luck with? TIA.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 18:29   #17

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You could always just parallel the coast line for a while and double the angle off the bow.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 18:29   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Thanks for the responces...just got a Nikon Coolshot 20 for $160 on ebay.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 20:24   #19

Boat: In Anaheim: 24'Thunderbird Formula 380 hp, In Subic Bay: Polaris Flying Boat

Most of the so-called laser range finders I have seen are not actual laser measurement devices, but use ultrasonic measurement. They have a cheap laser pointer built into them to facilitate aiming but the laser is non-functional.
I have a laser tracker system which is accurate to within a few millionths of an inch, but it relies on retroreflectors which would make its use rather impractical while at sea.... At the price of a medium used catamaran, I seriously doubt that anyone will be using real laser ranging devices.....
Harmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 22:00   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
Most of the so-called laser range finders I have seen are not actual laser measurement devices, but use ultrasonic measurement. They have a cheap laser pointer built into them to facilitate aiming but the laser is non-functional.
I have a laser tracker system which is accurate to within a few millionths of an inch, but it relies on retroreflectors which would make its use rather impractical while at sea.... At the price of a medium used catamaran, I seriously doubt that anyone will be using real laser ranging devices.....
Well, according to the Nikon website and instruction manual it explains how an infrared energy pulses bounces back and sophisticated circuitry calculates the time it gets there and bounces back thus the distance..... nothing about ultrasonic measurements. Golfers use it all the time and I doubt a sound wave can accurately bounce of a ball and directly come back at you the way a laser does.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 22:22   #21

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't have a rangefinder, but always thought it would be handy. I use our Radar to measure how many yards we are off shore or other boats.

Yeah, radar works just fine for me too, measuring distance to other boats at anchor. It is not so great on low shorelines. On other hand, I don't normally care how far it is to shore, rather I care how far it is to shoal water but the laser won't tell me that either.
When I anchor I fret about being too close to other boats. But when going out in dink I see I am much farther away than I thought. Always wondered whether the difference was due to optical illusion or is it just due to the worry factor?
Old 27-06-2021, 22:28   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Well, according to the Nikon website and instruction manual it explains how an infrared energy pulses bounces back and sophisticated circuitry calculates the time it gets there and bounces back thus the distance..... nothing about ultrasonic measurements. Golfers use it all the time and I doubt a sound wave can accurately bounce of a ball and directly come back at you the way a laser does.

Abe

I'm sure these device use laser. Ultrasonic is not focused enough, unless you have a large reflector. Laser light travels at basically same speed as radar waves, so there is nothing very difficult about timing a the return of a pulse of light - the trick is in generating the short pulse itself.
Old 28-06-2021, 00:30   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Yeah, radar works just fine for me too, measuring distance to other boats at anchor. It is not so great on low shorelines. On other hand, I don't normally care how far it is to shore, rather I care how far it is to shoal water but the laser won't tell me that either.
When I anchor I fret about being too close to other boats. But when going out in dink I see I am much farther away than I thought. Always wondered whether the difference was due to optical illusion or is it just due to the worry factor?
Yea the perception from your cockpit versus the dinghy is amazingly different. On our boat the preception of my wife is also amazingly different than mine.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 08:08   #24

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
On our boat the perception of my wife is also amazingly different than mine.

This is where a rangefinder really shines.

Admiral, "We are too close to that [boat, rock, pier, beach....]"
Captain (pulls out rangefinder) "well we are 217 yards away, that's plenty."
later...
Admiral, "look how much closer we are! We are dragging!!!!!!!!"
Captain (pulls out rangefinder) "well we are still exactly 217 yards away..."

The rangefinder is now my wife's favorite toy. When we pull into a harbor and anchor she measures the distance to every other boat and object. She rests much easier being able to quickly check our position. Now instead of panicked "we are dragging!!" reports, I get "look at that boat way over there drag" reports.

Joking aside, it's a really nice thing to have and prices have dropped to less than $100 now.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:28   #25

Boat: Bali 4.0

We use one all the time!

Affordable little “golf rangefinder” that is terrific for making sure the distance to shore/rocks/other boats etc is greater than our swing radius.

Obviously not always needed... but when it is- a very handy addition to take away any possible stress!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:05   #26

I learned old school so got very good at using visual ranges. Actually very accurate. I use to dive a wreak off of Grenada (the Bianca C). It was several miles off shore and not marked in 160 feet of water. One dive shop used GPS coordinates and still had a bear of a time finding it. Another has a low tech boat with the native skipper that would just use ranges (line ups) ashore and would get it spot on every time. That always impressed me. Miles off shore and could pinpoint position in the open sea within a few feet. They are amazingly accurate.
All that said and a range finder sounds like a great device to have aboard! But is nice not to have to depend on electronics.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Another secondary tool. I’m sure these will become more popular and be considered a primary anchoring tool. I’ve used rangefinders extensively in competitive shooting, but choose not to have one aboard.

For myself, it would temp me to get too close, and justify an imprudent decision with figures.

Big boat=big water...when I break that rule I don’t typically sleep well...

Our last big sail was from Grenada to Florida Jan 2021...no wind or radar...most enjoyable sailing yet. Forced to focus on the sea and elements. It really made the passages more fulfilling...
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 13:05   #28

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I used a golf laser ranger finder for 4 years. I found it especially helpful of measuring the distance of nearby boats when anchoring. I too had a problem estimating these distances.Always thought they were much closer than actually measured.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 18:09   #29

Boat: Catalina 34 MKII

Abe, everyone should have one! If you’re a golfer and don’t have one you’re cheating yourself. I always have one aboard!
robbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 20:17   #30

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

merrydolphin, at my age I need to remember the actual position by using my phone cam to take a few good shots of the sight lines to the shore.
Years after, I just look at my photos to pinpoint the place again.
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring