Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 14:18   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Key West to Naples Fl.

I don't think you can see a 6" styrofoam ball on RADAR floating on the water. I don't have a RADAR on my IP yet, had a Garmin HD RADAR on my last boat.
Fishing wise some claim they can see birds on RADAR, I don't believe that either
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 17:41   #17

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Key West to Naples Fl.

Are you serious? I have friends that go tuna fishing and watch sea gulls on the radar and run to them and the tuna will be schooling underneath. I have seen birds on mine as well. Since I have started replying to this thread I have gone out to eat and back just to read your reply. Much to my surprise you are still logged on and posting threads. Seems like someone with over 1,300 post you would know a little more about radars capabilities or not post something you really dont know about.

P.S. I'll get off now. I have work to do in the engine room.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 19:03   #18

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I see buoys, small channel markers and have seen some birds on my radar - 2KW Raymarine Parhfinder RL70C display. I haven't looked for or noticed crab pots, but in a flat sea, I am sure I could probably see some if the gain was set right.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:57   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The reason, in my opinion, for not going to the Shark anchorage if you want to do the trip in two days from Key West is that the distance is much longer and once there, you have to sail out around Cape Romano shoals(NW about 20 miles) and then back(ENE/20 plus miles) in a large inverted V before entering Naples. The Thousand Island area option from Shark inside CRS is very shoal, continually shifting and the water murky. The charts are not really accurate and only an approximation of the depths. However, sailing to Marathon the first day is a nice day sail from Key West(50 miles) with unlimited anchoring (unlike the Little Shark keyhole which is very small) and then a straight shot to CRS and then NE to Naples. And, if the weather turns for the worse, I'd rather be sitting at Marathon than the bug hole at Little Shark. There are many ways to skin a cat. I guess I'd skin it this way. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 26-04-2014, 12:15   #20
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Done that trip 20 or 30 times. If im lazing along I do the 7 mi bridge first and hit any number of anchorages along the way. Ive stayed at red bull bank, first national bank, near cape sable during a norther, shark river, Rabbit key, pavilion key, and more, I remember one place not to go. theres a place that looks inviting by the "scrubbing bubbles structures" by cape romano where there looks like a protected hole that shows 8' on the way in and we ran aground right on the 8' sounding on the chart. Unless you do marathon, thats a one leg trip.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west