Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 07:56   #31

Re: Is Sailing Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well when you have to sail on a schedule ....
Forget everything else you said. Those first words are your problem right there.

No one has to sail on a schedule for recreation. You choose to. And, it's often a really bad choice to do that.

Bad weather is never the problem. Schedules are the problem.

I don't know why this is such a hard lesson for some to learn. I learned it for good in 1987, when I sailed across the gulf stream at night to Bimini in 20 knots of north wind because we were on a schedule (because we only had two weeks off work).

Halfway across, I promised myself I would never do that again. And, I have kept that promise.
Old 14-10-2020, 08:19   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Forget everything else you said. Those first words are your problem right there.

No one has to sail on a schedule for recreation. You choose to. And, it's often a really bad choice to do that.

Bad weather is never the problem. Schedules are the problem.

I don't know why this is such a hard lesson for some to learn. I learned it for good in 1987, when I sailed across the gulf stream at night to Bimini in 20 knots of north wind because we were on a schedule (because we only had two weeks off work).

Halfway across, I promised myself I would never do that again. And, I have kept that promise.
You are right to an extent.

I had actually planned to catch the wind from that passing front all week to get home on where the winds topped out at 33 knots.

The forecast was for 15-20 knots then 20 knots. It was a beautiful morning also but the wind kept increasing and I failed to check the tide which was particularly strong that weekend and was flowing against the wind when I crossed.

That tide along with the wind created the conditions where the waves were breaking over the sides of the boat especially approaching the deep shipping channels and just passed them.

The boat did great though especially when running DDW but next time I'll use the jib only or main reefed way down and some jib, I'll have my harness and tether on, and my PFD on plus have the hatch boards in.

I had to do all that last time while steering and reaching into the cabin for those items then getting into them. For the video, I took the hatch boards out and search around for the camara.......but that was after crossing the two shipping channels and getting near my home creek

The biggest problem was too much main and to attempt to go forward and lower it would probably have resulted in the boat coming close to a knockdown or at the very least taken one hell of a beating because it would have swung back into the wind and waves
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:31   #33

Boat: Catalina 320

Some things are only fun in hindsight, most miserable night of my life rounding Pt. Conception took years before it became just "a unique experience".
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:09   #34

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Fun to me is going to a birthday party when you are 8 years old. The carnival when you are 10.

Sailing/cruising is something I do because I've always liked boats and the water and bought my first boat at 16. A Power boat. Boat, motor, and trailer. $300.

Started sailing/racing sailboats (beach cats) at age 36 after owning 6 power boats.(early 1990's in Tennessee/Mississippi TVA Lakes and the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Florida later)

I think sailing is worth it for the change it allows you to experience from everyday life, it gives you a Sun high, it makes you work, the views are great, and it wears you out so that when you do come back to shore it's nice and relaxing

But is the lack of sleep, being wet, being forced to relocate at your anchorage at midnight, having equipment fail at the wrong time ........is this fun?

No, I cannot say it is.

Maybe it's just the adventure that is the attraction.

In my opinion, living on a boat sux, but sometimes the lack of sleep allows you to relax and slow down enough to enjoy things you normally wouldn't

Sailing the boat for short periods in heavy weather is an adventure.

A favorable tide and good wind for the return sail are good things that are meant to be enjoyed. My returns being anywhere from 3-8 hours/ 20-40 miles.

I've found the best time to sail is right when the Sun is coming up or starting just before when you can see well enough to get out of the creek/anchorage especially if you have say 15 knots and can sail upwind or on a bit of a reach toward you destination. This can be enjoyable and satisfying
Sounds like you have some issues with the lifestyle... you like sailing and think that is "fun," but the other things that come along with it you're not a fan of. The weather, sleeping on a boat, etc. Perhaps you need a bigger boat
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:41   #35

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Yep it is, it is fun in and of itself even when things aren’t the greatest.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Sounds like you have some issues with the lifestyle... you like sailing and think that is "fun," but the other things that come along with it you're not a fan of. The weather, sleeping on a boat, etc. Perhaps you need a bigger boat

A bigger boat might be nice but then I might become like many others with bigger boats.

They never seem to leave the dock........especially when the wind isn't just right.

As far as the lifestyle, I think I just need more than 2-4 days on the boat to get adjusted and then the "lifestyle" will become somewhat normal I'm thinking.
Old 14-10-2020, 10:36   #37

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
They never seem to leave the dock........especially when the wind isn't just right
Maybe they are just out during the week when you aren't there or they've been doing it for 50 years and only go out when they think it's going to be a "fun" day.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Maybe they are just out during the week when you aren't there or they've been doing it for 50 years and only go out when they think it's going to be a "fun" day.

Nope, I'm at the marina every day try to have "fun."

The boats don't move.

Well, except for those that race on Wednesday nights, and that's probably 10-12 boats.

We have docks A-F with 50 slips on each.
Old 14-10-2020, 11:16   #39

Quote:
You are right to an extent.

I had actually planned to catch the wind from that passing front all week to get home on where the winds topped out at 33 knots.

The forecast was for 15-20 knots then 20 knots. It was a beautiful morning also but the wind kept increasing and I failed to check the tide which was particularly strong that weekend and was flowing against the wind when I crossed.

That tide along with the wind created the conditions where the waves were breaking over the sides of the boat especially approaching the deep shipping channels and just passed them.

The boat did great though especially when running DDW but next time I'll use the jib only or main reefed way down and some jib, I'll have my harness and tether on, and my PFD on plus have the hatch boards in.

I had to do all that last time while steering and reaching into the cabin for those items then getting into them. For the video, I took the hatch boards out and search around for the camara.......but that was after crossing the two shipping channels and getting near my home creek

The biggest problem was too much main and to attempt to go forward and lower it would probably have resulted in the boat coming close to a knockdown or at the very least taken one hell of a beating because it would have swung back into the wind and waves
Well, I learned my lesson about trying to ride cold fronts, too, a long time ago.
Old 14-10-2020, 11:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Well, I learned my lesson about trying to ride cold fronts, too, a long time ago.
I learned a lesson also.

Get the main setup with a second and third set of reefing points.

Reef the main to the max and use the jib heading out since I can furl it in from the cockpit easily, and if the wind is manageable in this setup for the autopilot, I can always go forward and shake out a reef.
Old 14-10-2020, 13:47   #41

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

Quote:
Nope, I'm at the marina every day try to have "fun."

The boats don't move.

Well, except for those that race on Wednesday nights, and that's probably 10-12 boats.

We have docks A-F with 50 slips on each.
With waterfront cottage prices near us pushing >$400k plus a 2-4 hour drive, I know a lot of people around here are keeping a $50k to $250k boat somewhere 15 - 30 minutes from home, and just using it as a cottage. They don't leave the dock, they just hang out for a few days with hot food and cold beer and chat across the finger docks for hours at a time. They might take it out a few times, but mostly it's just a way to be near the water when they need to escape from their offices.

My own preference is to get out and sail just for the fun of sailing (whenever the weather allows it, of course), but I'm not going to pretend that everyone has - or should have - the same idea.
Old 14-10-2020, 14:20   #42

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

started at 5am, engine broke down before going out through the heads leaving me becalmed in the middle of the main shipping entrance. Managed to work my way to the other side of the port entrance buoy and drop my emergency anchor to get below and try to sort out the engine. Airleak in starboard diesel tap, temporary fix with plumbing tape. Under way again after losing 2 hours. Best thing; fine beam reach into firm westerly. Worst thing; seasick making chop, relentless. Unpleasant combination, boat sailing fabulously, me feeling awful. Long day, tiring, approaching destination harbour, sea conditions and sickness receding, visit from pod of dolphins who kept me company for 1/2 an hour. Is sailing fun? Is being alive, feeling the heights and depths of life in the ungentle hands of the ferocious sea, fun? Who needs fun?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 14:30   #43

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I’m not sure I rate my sailing as “fun”. I see it as a fulfilling way to spend time but it doesn’t need to be under way. We sometimes go from our home 100 metres to the boat ramp, dingy out to the boat and spend the afternoon/evening on a barbecue and a glass of wine or two, not leaving the mooring. It’s about being on the boat.

I can’t remember a voyage where, on day 3, maybe 4, in the middle of a snotty night I don’t say to myself “What the hell am I doing here, I don’t have to be doing this, maybe this is the last one”. But then we make landfall and all those thoughts are gone. Is that part fun? No I don’t think of it as fun.

For me fun and frivolous are in synch. Ten pin bowling is fun. Body surfing is fun. Beers around a fire with friends is fun. Sailing is much deeper than that, definitely not frivolous. Sailing around our local anchorages and bays on a nice 15kn reach is satisfying. But it is fun? Not to me. Enjoyable? Sure. Fulfilling? Yes. But fun?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 15:50   #44

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
In my younger days I lived aboard a Cal 25 for three years. It was wet, cold /hot, miserable, cramped and nothing but camping on water. I loved it.

I loved the environment. loved the good weather and bad. I loved sailing on good days, having minor emergencies on bad, and motoring when the wind was MIA. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it or that rain in the face for 4 hours was fun. No sir, not fun.

But living aboard is just that - living. I worked. I did all the things we all do. Is life fun? Not always, and for many people (sadly) not often. On the boat is a "more fun" life IMHO, than not being on the boat.

I left the boat and moved back on land years ago. Life got in the way. But I have always longed to get back on a boat to live again. So happy I'm almost back there. I guess it's never actually been about sailing for me, but rather being on the boat.
Me too, I lived my 24' full time while I finished college in my 20s. That was the time I was very wealthy, I had everything I needed or wanted and many of my closest friends lived within shouting distance!
Folks might think it is such a small life, but you are not living IN a boat, you are living ON the sea. Big difference.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 15:56   #45

Some people like 14 year old Laura Dekker handle being stuck on a sailboat in all weathers better that others.

Tags
fun, sail, sailing