Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 16:55   #226

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
...morons ... free be rabble
morons
free be rabble

One thing I like about cruising is it's easy to get away from disagreeable people. If that $800 Visa fee is keeping you away from the US, all the better mate.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:59   #227

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I sense a thread closure coming!

Smelling stronger.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 18:14   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

In the extreme if no one else wants to go would you still go? Is the question of it being on the decline or increase an important factor to go or not go cruising?

I suspect that people that are cruising or want to go cruising don't care at all itf it is increasing or decresing in popularity.
For the people that have been out there cruising for many years the question is very important. With anchorages becoming so "popular", possibly initially due to the advent of GPS and the associated Nintendo navigation , the lesser numbers of vessel apparent in these once crowded anchorages is certainly welcomed by some. The peace, quiet and tranquility once associated with cruising the more popular coasts ( Queensland for instance) may be returning. In recent times we had generally transited this coast quickly,avoiding the crowds, but if cruising really is on the decline then we will be spending more time stopping to smell the roses on our return journey.
Regards
Old 15-12-2010, 18:17   #229
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I sense a thread closure coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Hopefully not.

The cheap entertainment on TV at this time of year is really lousy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Smelling stronger.
Waiting waiting waiting but can we just get a little more entertainment in before the key is turned.

OK, I know I am not helping here but this has been a fascinating thread to read and so I really must thank the combatants posters.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 18:23   #230

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Waiting waiting waiting but can we just get a little more entertainment in before the key is turned.

OK, I know I am not helping here but this has been a fascinating thread to read and so I really must thank the combatants posters.

How do you do that line-through stuff?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 22:00   #231
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How do you do that line-through stuff?
OK, I guess it is time for some serious thread drift stuff

I just use the little line through icon (ABC)that is at the other end of the line that has the Bold icon (B)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 22:29   #232

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Australian Customs Report I did write an opinion but I would get totally slammed so keep you head in the sand and be Happy.
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 23:49   #233

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Friends who have cruised both the BC coast and the Australian east coast, tell me that compared to BC's hundreds of miles of well protected waters, and enough coastline to go 3/4 of the way around the word , and up to 811 islands in 35 miles, Australias is bleak and mostly open ocean lee shore., similar to the Oregon coast, but warmer, with safe, all weather harbors few and far between., not worth paying $300 to visit. .
Brent not true of northern 1/2 of Australias east coast (Qld). The great Barrier reef affords great anchorages along its length but most sailors particually monohulls (hope I don't fire up merrmym here over the cat/mono thing) avoid the fantastic crusing it offers visiting only the mainland islands on their trip north to Indonesia/PNG.

A 3 month visa is really too short a time to spend the time needed (really need 6 to 12 months) to properly cruise Australia's east coast/barrier reef/coral sea let alone the Kimberlies as well.

Quarantine is a real issue for Australia as we are one of the few countries in the world without foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease both diseases which would destroy our countries large animal industries (for 5-10 years). Are similar issues with insects including termites although their effect would be much less. Unfortunately our government seems to spending our tax dollars on unworkable political border control issues. Good cruising sailors policies is far from their radar and low on their policies.

If the cost was for a 12 month rather than a 3 month period it would be better value.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 23:54   #234

The Queensland state of Australian is Broke thanks to the American sub prime mortage crisis and Leyman bros etc etc which is why our government is trying to sell off our assets as fast as they can.
However some Australia Government individuals have taken it into there own hands to correct the issue. WRONG

The other side to this is, as cruisers we do not want to see the world decend on us en mass. And be told that we could be the next US state if we play our cards right.(quote)

I like the fact that i can find a secluded beach and stay for a week, catch mudcrabs, decent fish (coral trout) and crayfish and not see another soul.
Isn't that perfect cruising???
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 02:51   #235

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Not sure why I've read through this whole thread. Probably hoping to find information on the topic. I am glad that I've met several dozen aussies prior to running across you and your snide ad hominem attacks or I'd have thought aussies were all complete buttwipes. You are clearly not stupid, so why the prickish attitude and deliberate misinterpretation of earlier remarks, particularly by your own countrymen?
So others do notice it too.
I'm pissed off with myself for letting him get under my skin, but I don't like plain nasty, to the point I'm becoming it myself

I'm sure he still wonders why he always ended up eating his school lunch on his own... If he hasn't worked it out after 6 decades it's probably a lost cause.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 03:28   #236
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
The Queensland state of Australian is Broke thanks to the American sub prime mortage crisis and Leyman bros etc etc?
never mind, I decided to just delete comment.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:08   #237

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
The Queensland state of Australian is Broke thanks to the American sub prime mortage crisis and Leyman bros etc etc which is why our government is trying to sell off our assets as fast as they can.
However some Australia Government individuals have taken it into there own hands to correct the issue. WRONG

The other side to this is, as cruisers we do not want to see the world decend on us en mass. And be told that we could be the next US state if we play our cards right.(quote)

I like the fact that i can find a secluded beach and stay for a week, catch mudcrabs, decent fish (coral trout) and crayfish and not see another soul.
Isn't that perfect cruising???

And your authority on this point is . . . . .
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:21   #238

Boat: Herreshoff_Marco Polo 55_Majesty
Capt Force makes a good point as did each contributor. Marina decline is up...big time.

I was doing a study on mega yacht slips and marinas recently and the bottom line is the money. Marinas are changing profile because it is valuable land and developers are extracting every last ounce of loot from their investment. This means that what was once a mom and pop handed down marina operation has become a high priced dockside condominium. Whether the boats are there or not, the value of the property has skyrocketed.

I used to manage a large marina. Cruising was once a low cost endeavor with a budget, a boat, and a dream. Now it is an exponentially larger boat, a smaller budget and even smaller dream. People are really dedicated to make the boat moves required to be called "adventurous."

The one point made about boat value declining is indicative of the times. Less money chasing the same or more boats. This is a global recession, (courtesy of Dem's). We are at the beginning of the cycle of deflation on several fronts, real estate being the largest bedrock under adjustment. The big gorilla in the room no one wants to talk about is our USA currency is really "Fiat Money." It has no value to gold, no value to silver, and is worth what someone will honor it for. When the countries exchange their reserve currencies for gold, they will abandon the currency> When that happens, hope you own something other than paper.

Cruising is a desire, a life style and a risk. It is not for the faint of heart, not for the weak and definitely, not for the meek. I would love to see the image worked on, for some people on shore still believe vagabond minded Cruisers are people who have no home, no money, and no values. All not true.
jimships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:42   #239

Just by way of clarification for those trying to comprehend this thread: Meyermm and Beau are Queenslanders (aka banana benders)...trust you get my drift.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:47   #240
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
The Queensland state of Australian is Broke thanks to the American sub prime mortage crisis and Leyman bros etc etc?
Queensland is indeed broke - not entirely sure that I blame Lehmann or anyone elses brothers. Currently the 3rd largest expenditure item on our state books is interest on debt, so thats after Health and Education and in front of every other govt service or expenditure - sooooo definitely not economically healthy, but like I said - I thinks its a home grown problem as a much as an imported one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Just by way of clarification to those trying to comprehend this thread: Meyermm and Beau are Queenslanders (aka banana benders)...trust you get my drift.
No its too obtuse for me - you see I am a Queenslander - so obviously I am far too busy bending bananas to understand your witty and ironic comment.

Always found the banana bender term strange given that NSW produces more bananas and indeed has the "Big Banana as a key tourist attraction.

I maintain Meyermm moved here from Victoria.

BTW - had a look at your angus inlet website - got some interesting stuff there, and seems like an interesting group. Good luck with the collections.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote