Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 15:47   #1

Is Carrying a Bicycle a Good Idea ?

I was thinking a simple alloy bike easy to take apart and store under cockpit?
anyone doing it...share some tips
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:04   #2

I too am interested in carrying a bike.

I guess I have several questions:
1. Will it be useful when we are at port?
2. How will they hold up in the saltwater environment? Fast corrosion?

A few I had been looking at:
Greenzone Folding Bike
Citizen Folding Bikes

Thanks,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Fresh water area is great for biking, saltwater seems to eat them up quick unless you spend good money. had a folding one for a few years, used it all the time at the marina.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:09   #4

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Have two on the boat only had them a couple of mths very handy just see how the longevity goes both are good quality a dahon and a hasa both tiawanese made rather than Chinese. They fold up really well and I had a great space for them will just have to watch them for salt damage.

Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
I've seen bikes stored and lashed on deck. I can't imagine they will be much use after a few months. I think the only way is an alloy folding bike as sold through the marine stores such as West. I would keep below and consider also the zipper bags for airline transport and a lining added of cotton with an oil misted coating. These will breathe and help keep aerisol salt crystals away. I rode high tech racing bikes for years but the compromise to consider is what type of riding surface you will encounter. Many 3rd world areas will have unpaved dirt or gravel. Get big klunky tires.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:32   #6

iv seen a classic comfort bike at canadian tire for $150...all alloy no steel exept for a few stainless parts...I love the simple stretched design...no brake parts or gear parts to wory about...a comfortable full sized bike...I guess taking five minuts to undo the wheels befor storing is not that much of a problem considering the utility the bike offers??

id love those alloy folding bikes...but way to expensive for me, and those small wheels dont travel well.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:34   #7

Boat: Islander 36
From the size of your boat, I'd say it might be tough. As usual, it all depends. How much space, how big a priority.

I've had folding bikes. I was trying to do it in pairs, but for me even one bike was not worth it. I have gone to a DiBlasi folding motor scooter, actually worked a little better for me than the bikes, but still... it's looking for a new home. My next purchase will be the adult model of the razor scooter.

One thing that always nags me is, will it be there when I come out of the market? The plan is that razor scooter can fold up and go inside the store with me.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
From the size of your boat, I'd say it might be tough. As usual, it all depends. How much space, how big a priority.

I've had folding bikes. I was trying to do it in pairs, but for me even one bike was not worth it. I have gone to a DiBlasi folding motor scooter, actually worked a little better for me than the bikes, but still... it's looking for a new home. My next purchase will be the adult model of the razor scooter.

One thing that always nags me is, will it be there when I come out of the market? The plan is that razor scooter can fold up and go inside the store with me.
razor scooter???
never seen this...show a photo or a link pleas

as for space I have plenty either in the lazarette or under the cockpit...lockers are huge on the H28
Old 09-01-2011, 16:45   #9

oh ok iv seen some...I cant use them because of a knee problem...otherwise id love roller skates to comune.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:55   #10

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
I have two foldable from west marine and they have been great
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:57   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We used t0 have a pair of the little Dahon folding bikes with the small diameter wheels. We had space to store them below and they did us well, but they were the older stainless steel models and very heavy for their size. We bought a couple of cheap K-Mart Schwinns (ca $160 each) in 2003 and they are still serving us well. able to quick release the front tire and seats and place them below in our aft cabin belween the berths. They are still in excellent shape and they give us better performance than the small diameter wheels. I spray them and wipe with WD-40 when I stow them and lubricate the cables and chains
Old 09-01-2011, 17:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Jobi,

I did a search on the classic comfort bike at canadian tire and found PEWEE HERMON 1950s retro bikes. These would be perfectly suitable for gravel and dirt roads but i doubt the frames are anything but steel, especially for 150.

If we consider that our engines are mostly iron and steel, then a slight patema of oil and a regular wipe-down with an oily rag; storage in a protected place will probably do nicely. This is even true of a mostly steel bike. Space is always a problem. Our boat is 58 feet and I have no idea where I would store even a disassembled bike - let alone two. I just think I would like to have one for touring. Maybe the best option is to make some local Bahamian happy by renting his Schwinn.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:14   #13

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Silicone lube is a nice dry lube that won't hurt the rubber or plastic parts, won't grease up your clothes, and will keep corrosion and wear to a minimum. Fluid film is good too but it smells funny and will grease up your clothes.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

How about one of these at $179......
Here's the link... King's Motor Bikes Electric Folding Bike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsilver.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	22692  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:25   #15

Boat: Islander 36
Xootr Urban Transport

I would think that a bike could be harder on knees. I dunno.

My 36 ft boat has plenty of big spaces as well. But other things live there. There's weight (yeah, I know, the DiBlasi is not as light as the bikes were) that can accumulate on a cruiser.

Hence, the priority point. What are you willing to do without so you can carry a bike?