Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 12:32   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Is a boat a kind of "Man Cave"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post

I promise you hon, if I'm oiling up a man, nothing sharp is in the works.
I just got up,6am, and one of the first things I read is this. What a smashin' thought to start the day with.

Coops.
Old 20-03-2013, 13:03   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Not grinding, too much effort involved in that, just pointing out that desire and willingness are two different things.

I promise you hon, if I'm oiling up a man, nothing sharp is in the works.
Oh...I'm sure you have a few tools of the trade my dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
How do you make a couple of pounds of fat look attractive? Stick a nipple on it.

Coops.
Now that's funny!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 13:10   #78

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh...I'm sure you have a few tools of the trade my dear...
ah, well. A little pain just makes the pleasure that much better.
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 13:48   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

I had a thread a few years ago about "what do women want in a boat". It didn't get a lot on women input, so maybe this is partly why boats are more "man cave like" that women would like.

When getting my first boat the only input my wife had was that it had to have a stand up shower. That wasn't all that helpful, but the boat we got had it! Our current boat has 2 stand up showers just to prove how understanding to her wishes I am.
Old 20-03-2013, 14:11   #80

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Briefing this thread, I didn't notice mention of Cats - particularly large, luxury cats.

Setting aside power yachts, this is the pre-eminent domain for making "sailing" attractive to "most" women - at least the kind of girly-girl, no-compromises-on-comfort, style oriented, fun loving kind of women that I happen to like.

Extremely costly, but I for one am 100% committed, and getting damned creative about it too.

These boats have a flat floor, picture windows, and a few small places suitable for decorating. There are no ladders, gangplanks, or crows-nests. Just a lot of light, comfort, and hominess.

Plus you can sail it.

Why don't women enjoy living in small, dark boats? Would your your wife enjoy living in a $24,000 home (fully furnished)? One where you do engine work in the middle of the living room, and the kitchen is perpetually stocked with canned food?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 14:12   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'll have to admit that Boracay started as a man cave. In fact I'm sure I heard the selling broker was heard referring to her as a "garden shed".

I wasn't planning on going anywhere. Just a nice project to ease into retirement and then sell.

Then I made the mistake of involving my significant other in a few of the decisions like what sort of refrigerator.

Now I have a continuing list of tasks that must be done, on time on schedule.

And a boat in a "foreign" port.

And I think I'm actually stuck with going somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boracay at Kawana.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	57474  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 14:13   #82

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Maybe nesting instincts are strong for many women, but they needn't be land based .

I certainly need some creature comforts long term (dry cosy bed being a prime example), but no problems at all with short term discomfort. In fact it just adds to the adventure .
I should mention, this is the woman that insisted on having a shower (and inflatable chair) while backpacking through Yellowstone National Park one summer.

Looking back, it was a great idea, we had a hot shower every evening but one during the summer.

(Safety note: Don't leave a black shower bag in the sun for 4 hours during the summer. If you do, don't be the first one to take a shower.)
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 01:50   #83

Boat: kuiper 32

my boat is definately my man cave i often sneak down after work for a quick sleep before heading home and facing reality ,lawns two teens and my lovely non sailing wife. on weekends it becomes a family boat and the kids and i shoot out for a sail or a fish or dive.the best of both worlds
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 02:35   #84

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A couple of years ago, a Danish business institute investigated what made successful women in the business world successful. In other words, what was the common denominator?

They discovered that the most important factor in a woman's success was (wait for it......................)

Choose the right husband.

Meaning choose a husband (boyfriend) who will support your career dreams and will be willing to subordinate his dreams to let you pursue yours.

So what does this have to do with this thread?

If you want a woman who will go cruising or RTW - choose one that
1- has a deeply imbedded sense of adventure (this is the most important one)
2- Doesn't mind if things get cold/tough/physical
3- takes pride in pulling her own weight

Whilst the above can be found in some runway model types (although perhaps not many), I would look tend to look elsewhere. Does she enjoy camping/backpacking/roughing it?

Might be a keeper

As I've said before, I'm the luckiest guy on earth. My admiral is an expert sailor and pilots our 40 footer with ease. She doesn't mind getting dirty/cold. And she also loves to get dressed up in a gown and heels and go to town.

Hell, it just doesn't get better than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 02:42   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Why don't women enjoy living in small, dark boats? Would your your wife enjoy living in a $24,000 home (fully furnished)? One where you do engine work in the middle of the living room, and the kitchen is perpetually stocked with canned food?
Now I have read this a number of times....I can find nothing wrong with the this. as each question gets a tick from my wife except the value of a boat is a tad higher..

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:52   #86
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Briefing this thread, I didn't notice mention of Cats - particularly large, luxury cats.

Setting aside power yachts, this is the pre-eminent domain for making "sailing" attractive to "most" women - at least the kind of girly-girl, no-compromises-on-comfort, style oriented, fun loving kind of women that I happen to like.

Extremely costly, but I for one am 100% committed, and getting damned creative about it too.

These boats have a flat floor, picture windows, and a few small places suitable for decorating. There are no ladders, gangplanks, or crows-nests. Just a lot of light, comfort, and hominess.

Plus you can sail it.
Hear him! Hear him!!

We too are "100% committed" to cruising in comfort. In fact, we built a business around it. All of our products make the cruising lifestyle more comfortable. All of our products are also fully 'blue water' tested and enjoyed at sea (and on anchor!) on CatNirvana. Many of our products are aimed at all the admirals out there who not only enjoy the sailing experience as much as the men, but who also enjoy both comfort and attractive surroundings.

Now there's the best of both worlds...the 'man cave' for the men and cruising in comfort for everyone...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:53   #87
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I'm the luckiest guy on earth. My admiral is an expert sailor and pilots our 40 footer with ease. She doesn't mind getting dirty/cold. And she also loves to get dressed up in a gown and heels and go to town.

Hell, it just doesn't get better than that.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 14:59   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat is my me cave. awesome teakwood interior -- warmth and cozy and comfy. man must ask permission to cave here.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:05   #89

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Hear him! Hear him!!

We too are "100% committed" to cruising in comfort. In fact, we built a business around it. All of our products make the cruising lifestyle more comfortable. All of our products are also fully 'blue water' tested and enjoyed at sea (and on anchor!) on CatNirvana. Many of our products are aimed at all the admirals out there who not only enjoy the sailing experience as much as the men, but who also enjoy both comfort and attractive surroundings.

Now there's the best of both worlds...the 'man cave' for the men and cruising in comfort for everyone...
Good lord above, I KNEW this would somehow become a mono vs multi discussion.

Let the Hunter bashing begin.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:09   #90

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Good lord above, I KNEW this would somehow become a mono vs multi discussion.
And I could hardly believe it had gone this long without it!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote