Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 13:19   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Is a boat a kind of "Man Cave"?

There's a lot of single guys living on land in their Man Cave abodes too--this isn't just a boating thing. Reminds me of an oil forum where the guy posted pics of his latest cut open oil filters, which were obviously sitting on the kitchen table.
Old 19-03-2013, 13:27   #32

Boat: Catalina 36

I'm thinking your boats end up as man-caves because you aren't willing to accept the girly touches needed by a female companion. I adore my man, but I'm not leaving the dock without a watermaker. I ain't haulin' water for the rest of my life.

And I'm bringing my 35 christmas CDs

And fuzzy slippers
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:33   #33

Boat: looking again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Its all a matter of the interior

perfect! now I want a man cave! furry bedspreads and pillows and all!
mauimichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:42   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Maybe the way to tell whether you have a Man Cave or whether you have made the required modifications etc. is ................................. space designed for shoe storage!
Old 19-03-2013, 13:49   #35

oh yah.....shoes...he's going to expect me to cut back on my 50 pairs, isn't he...
Old 19-03-2013, 13:49   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
Sorry Don, I am going to be a wimpy woman and wait until 50 degrees
Now, there, in a little vignette of a nutshell, is one of the major differences between the cave owners. This obviously enthusiastic and no doubt gorgeous lady is waiting until the temperature is right before she goes and tackles these jobs. A man on the other hand, would have ignored the jobs until something breaks or falls off and has to go and do them there and then. Or at the least wait until he is sober enough.

Never had a man cave myself, for two reasons. I am totally useless with tools so did not need somewhere to put them. I had a shed once, but it took off in a windstorm, did a few loop de loops in the air and reverted itself back to the flatpack that it started life as. The second reason is that most of the mancaves I have visited seem to smell of mouldy clothes and something that is not really distinguishable but certainly would be disgusting if you found out what it was. Women's caves on the other hand are just lovely places to be in.

Coops.
Old 19-03-2013, 13:50   #37

Boat: Island Packet 380

Quote:
oh yah.....shoes...he's going to expect me to cut back on my 50 pairs, isn't he...
Don't give in and yes, I am bringing my fuzzy slippers too!
Old 19-03-2013, 13:57   #38

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Maybe the way to tell whether you have a Man Cave or whether you have made the required modifications etc. is ................................. space designed for shoe storage!
Now you are on to something
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:04   #39

Boat: grampian 26

A real man cave would nave paintings of wild animals on the ceiling like the ones in the Lascaux cave in France. and by the way fuzzy slippers are fine as long as they have non slip soles for fore deck work.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:40   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Hey I'm a guy and I have slippers on the boat, and they have a nice non skid and non marking sole.

But they aren't fuzzy, do those work better?
Old 19-03-2013, 15:27   #41

Sorry guys, its really about your choice in women. Don't take me the wrong way but if you choose a woman that loves to stay home and keep house, visit the Grandkids every second day and has a full slate of close friends she likes to do hobbies with as well as pay lots of attention to you when your around "don't" expect this women to want to move on a boat and sail away from everything she loves in life. She might do it for a short time but you'll pay the price and its not fair to her.
If you want a sailing partner to travel the world she should have already shown you that she enjoys getting out and doing a variety of different stuff and loves variety and adventure.
I married the best person in the world(she puts up with me and thats all it takes to qualify) She learned to ride motorcycles and we have ridden thousands of miles together, she even took race lessons. She has learned to fly our little Piper Pacer taildragger and she runs her own business. When I started to look at boats after a 10 year break she sigh'd and said....what are we buying and when are we going? Its really all about the girl you chose and yes she does have strong opinions on stuff and I listen to her.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 15:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Sorry guys, its really about your choice in women. Don't take me the wrong way but if you choose a woman that loves to stay home and keep house, visit the Grandkids every second day and has a full slate of close friends she likes to do hobbies with as well as pay lots of attention to you when your around "don't" expect this women to want to move on a boat and sail away from everything she loves in life. She might do it for a short time but you'll pay the price and its not fair to her.
If you want a sailing partner to travel the world she should have already shown you that she enjoys getting out and doing a variety of different stuff and loves variety and adventure.
This

Stop looking at the bra size and start asking about how many stamps she has in her passport (I have 24, and it's my third passport).
Old 19-03-2013, 16:14   #43

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
That is a good generalization. A sailing boat as a home is indeed a 180 from a traditional home that many women aspire to. Asking the women to pick the boat is a great way to make sure you don't get one! A Catamaran is most definitely not as much a ManCave as a mono.

I am building a 38ft Cat, and yesterday was showing my women pictures of other cats,
and the ones she REALLY likes (hint hint) are the BIG ONES, like 50-60ft....

JackB
Your women. Now there is a potential problem there.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:19   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Your women. Now there is a potential problem there.

Reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio many years with an old duffer (retired Major - British Army, ex Boer War? ) complaining about women nowadays being allowed on the golf course as it slowed the men up. and was none too keen on them being allowed in the bar either .

His closing comment was "I have nothing against women .....got one at home myself" .

How that relates to boats I don't know , but the attitude sprang the story to mind for some reason..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:25   #45

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I think it's safer to say let the partner who is less enthused about sailing pick as opposed to the woman. While lady captains are certainly the minority they do exist!

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote