Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 12:39   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Hurricane or TS: Florida W & E coast, East coast USA to NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The predicted rainfall amounts are just huge. 9 inches pretty well everywhere from Forida to Virginia. Thats a huge.
No kidding. Glad my boat is on the hard in St. Petersburg. Back here in the Canadian prairie, just outside of my old home town of Edmonton, they had 5" about a week and half ago. We rarely get more than 1/2" at a time, so that caused havoc, flooding where no one expected it and the rivers are still high.

9" is unbelievable.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:40   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Just been called a hurricane!

I dont wanna be stupid with advice, but i was on a mooring as one went directly overhead a few years ago... And I can tell you their ain't nothing you can do in a hurricane. Its much safer to get the hell off the boat and find a bar.

So if you are in that landfall area please tie it up best you can and get off.

Its not being a coward to run screaming for the hills
Florida doesn't have hills.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:55   #18

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
according to The Weather Channel, we're all going to die.
They just salivate over this stuff. It's the best day of their life when tragedy strikes. You can tell from their language that they can't wait for a big storm, it's their 15 minutes of fame. I stopped watching it more that a decade ago and have survived at least half a dozen hurricanes (including a couple of eyes) since then, without the need for their sensationalism and glee.

As I've said before, if you have a boat you need to have a hurricane (or other relevant heavy weather) plan in place. After that, trust your preparations and hope for the best for those that failed to plan, or those that don't have the Weather Channel and don't know to get out of the way.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 13:12   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cane now 75 mph winds . be safe
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 13:31   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The plane out of Tampa is flying now.

Reload the page after a few minutes and it will update.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon...XA-HERMINE.png
Old 01-09-2016, 13:47   #21

Boat: Leopard 40

We're at the navy marina in Groton, CT and will be adding more docklines.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've found a Bayou and have been anchored down for a few hours, it's not ugly here yet in the Panhandle but may be, it's supposed to pass just East of me.
As far as staying in a Marina I was thinking about that pretty hard, then took a walk around looking at all the rotting dock Lines, kayaks and all sort of other stuff simply laying about on others boats and decided not to.
I don't think it will get that bad, but if it does there will be a game of bumper boats in that Marina.
Beside I just got the new 88 lb Rocna in two days ago. I have 225 ft or rode out in 15 ft of water, a little excessive, but who knows maybe I'll need it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:30   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've found a Bayou and have been anchored down for a few hours, it's not ugly here yet in the Panhandle but may be, it's supposed to pass just East of me.
As far as staying in a Marina I was thinking about that pretty hard, then took a walk around looking at all the rotting dock Lines, kayaks and all sort of other stuff simply laying about on others boats and decided not to.
I don't think it will get that bad, but if it does there will be a game of bumper boats in that Marina.
Beside I just got the new 88 lb Rocna in two days ago. I have 225 ft or rode out in 15 ft of water, a little excessive, but who knows maybe I'll need it.

Are you putting anything out the back? I was caught in a 50-60 knot storm coming up the east side of Florida, ducked into the ICW, Mantus out front and an old danforth of the stern, and didn't budge an inch.
Old 01-09-2016, 14:34   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

a64pilot, wishing you (and all others on the west coast of Florida) the best riding this out. Your new Rocna should give you comfort. Do you have your bayou to yourself?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:49   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Posting these tips here, because of the expected very heavy rains (9-10 inches).

The key points is the anticipation of not only high winds, but also heavy rainfall of up to 10 inches of rain, which can cause widespread flooding, possibly all the way up to the Carolinas and along the Eastern Seaboard.

Why is that an issue?
Because it could sink some boats, according to the BoatUS article.

"It Doesn’t Take a Hurricane to Sink a Boat

BoatUS: Tips for Preparing for Tropical Depression Nine

As Tropical Depression Nine begins its abrupt change in course that will steer the storm ashore late Thursday, boaters in the Big Bend region of Florida may be thinking they dodged the bullet. However, Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) says TD Nine, expected to grow into tropical storm status today, will bring heavy rains across much of the state. The National Hurricane Center forecasts up to 10 inches for the Cross City, Florida, area, and up to five inches is expected to fall as far north as Savannah, Georgia – more than enough to sink a boat that is not prepared for the torrential downpour.

BoatUS Seaworthy Magazine Editor Charles Fort says, “Boat cockpit deck drains are often woefully inadequate and a deluge can fill the cockpit and sink the boat. If the cockpit is not watertight, a bilge pump and battery’s ability to handle rain accumulation won’t last long. Deck drains and pump discharges located near the waterline can also backflow when waves and rain put drains underwater.”

For boats kept in the water, Fort recommends a good fitting cover, or at least ensuring rain can easily drain off the boat, including clearing any deck scuppers or drains of leaves. Batteries should be charged and the boat made as watertight as possible. Removing windage such as sails, bimini tops and deck furniture is also a good idea as winds are forecasted to increase."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:49   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Are you putting anything out the back? I was caught in a 50-60 knot storm coming up the east side of Florida, ducked into the ICW, Mantus out front and an old danforth of the stern, and didn't budge an inch.

No, cause I expect and are seeing first winds from the East, moving to out of the North and even clocking further around Northwest etc., but expect by then they will have died down a lot. NE ought to be the worst for me I think. I need to swing 120 degrees or so I think.
Nobody here is taking this seriously at all, only a very few of us doing anything to prepare at the Marina.

Old 01-09-2016, 14:50   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
according to The Weather Channel, we're all going to die.
And you know what? They are correct. We are all going to die...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
a64pilot, wishing you (and all others on the west coast of Florida) the best riding this out. Your new Rocna should give you comfort. Do you have your bayou to yourself?

S/V B'Shert

Thanks, no. There are two permanently moored boats here and a Commercial Fisherman passed me getting here. My concern was I'd get here and there be too many boats, but I should not be downwind of anyone.
I took a few pics of the Rocna on the bow, it fit easily, no problem. Doesn't even look that big to me, just was big carrying it to the boat from the truck

Old 01-09-2016, 14:59   #29

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Sounds good. Storm surge is supposed to coincide with high tide but that shouldn't be an issue for you at anchor. Are you staying aboard or watching with your wife from somewhere safe and dry?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 15:18   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm aboard, family is in Albany Ga.
I feel that I could impact what happens to the boat, but I wouldn't want them aboard. I don't think this will be that bad, Storm will go ashore a few miles to the East of me, so I'm on the best side to be on.

Tags
hurricane, florida, east coast, nyc