Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 16:28   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
How much to offer.

I have seen a very nice Sun Odessey 49 2005 {not the deck saloon version} for $220,000 .The boat has everything on board and has hardly been used it presents as new and could be circumnavagated as is . It has been for sale for a few months the owner has droped the price down from $250000 to $220000. Is offering $160000 rude does anyone know what these boats really sell for ?
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 17:00   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I have seen a very nice Sun Odessey 49 2005 {not the deck saloon version} for $220,000 .The boat has everything on board and has hardly been used it presents as new and could be circumnavagated as is . It has been for sale for a few months the owner has droped the price down from $250000 to $220000. Is offering $160000 rude does anyone know what these boats really sell for ?
There's a saying when buying a boat "Offer half the asking price and don't be surprised if you get it". As long as your price appears serious, the vendor will either accept or counter offer. If you start too high you can't go lower so I think it's always better to lowball. Having said, if it is good boat that is listed at "street" value you are unlikely to get it for more than say 10% off the asking price unless the seller is particularily desparate imo.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 17:12   #3
TOM

Re: How much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
There's a saying when buying a boat "Offer half the asking price and don't be surprised if you get it". As long as your price appears serious, the vendor will either accept or counter offer. If you start too high you can't go lower so I think it's always better to lowball. Having said, if it is good boat that is listed at "street" value you are unlikely to get it for more than say 10% off the asking price unless the seller is particularily desparate imo.
Thanks you have brought up an interesting point "street value" how does one asertain ''Street value" . The brokers we have been dealing with are saying offer 10% less then asking price I think they are dilusional.
Old 11-05-2013, 17:20   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Your offer sounds reasonable to me, although Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm might have recommended your first-born male child.
Old 11-05-2013, 17:44   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Just checking what other models of the same year are listed for and there must be a reason this boat is almost $100,000 less than others of the same model. Now I get that those are asking prices, but if these boats are selling for around 230-290 then his current pricing seems to be more than fair. Looks like he already has it realistically priced and at an even deeper discount, what amounts to a ridiculously low ball offer (if the boat is in good shape) I imagine your offer will be looked at as a joke and you will never hear from them at all.

Keep us updated, i am interested in hearing what happens.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

There are many reason that someone sells. Some sellers are highly motivated and are up against a financial wall. Others may only sell if they get the best price possible. It is hard to tell the level of motivation until you start the game.
You can always go up from your initial offer. Not as easy to go down from your initial offer. Don't let the broker control you. If they are the listing agent their fiduciary responsibility is to the seller not the buyer.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:19   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Don't let the broker control you.
Spot on. Boats, like houses in the upper range, are not moving quickly. Try your offer and see what flies. My ex-father-in-law was Dutch, and taught me allot. Make the offer.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:21   #8
TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Just checking what other models of the same year are listed for and there must be a reason this boat is almost $100,000 less than others of the same model. Now I get that those are asking prices, but if these boats are selling for around 230-290 then his current pricing seems to be more than fair. Looks like he already has it realistically priced and at an even deeper discount, what amounts to a ridiculously low ball offer (if the boat is in good shape) I imagine your offer will be looked at as a joke and you will never hear from them at all.

Keep us updated, i am interested in hearing what happens.
You need to look a little harder there a few sub $200,000 and a couple under contract for less then $ 170,000 . ......no joke
Old 11-05-2013, 19:09   #9
cruiser

You've just improved the seller's chance of getting a good price and decreased your chance of getting a good deal by alerting thousands of fellow cruisers to the availability of the boat. You should instead hire a buyer's broker to answer your questions and keep your negotiations private.

Keep your cards close... don't show your hand to everybody.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:17   #10
TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You've just improved the seller's chance of getting a good price and decreased your chance of getting a good deal by alerting thousands of fellow cruisers to the availability of the boat. You should instead hire a buyer's broker to answer your questions and keep your negotiations private.
128 people have viewed my post ...plus you . I hardly think that my innocent question will effect the secound hand boat market to such a degree! .
Old 11-05-2013, 19:41   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
128 people have viewed my post ...plus you . I hardly think that my innocent question will effect the secound hand boat market to such a degree! .
I offer constructive advice... you respond rudely. Good luck.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:06   #12

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:

I offer constructive advice... you respond rudely. Good luck.
Does not sound rude to me - just mild factual response.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:48   #13

Boat: Hunter 326

When I offered 25% below asking the broker tried to urge me to 10-15%. I went with the 25% expecting a counter. Broker made the offer, I now have a great sailboat with very little use. You'll never know what the sellers bottom price is unless you try. In my case the owner was paying to maintain a boat he only used once a year.
Kjretlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:06   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

If you have not already found what these boats are actually selling for, it's time to do your own due diligence and get that info. Keep in mind that sometimes even the alleged actual selling prices are inflated when brokers insert that info.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:10   #15

Quote:

Keep your cards close... don't show your hand to everybody.
WOW, I was reading this thread and when I saw this comment and the response I had to comment. You are spot on. I have been sorting through various boats myself. I swear, either I am very good at picking winners (having 0 boating experience) or what you say is completely true because I started noticing that almost every boat that I posted for feedback, including every boat in the US, sold within a month after I posted and had long discussions with others about them.
I have now learned to keep my mouth shut on boats that I am very seriously considering. I now ask more general questions and avoid posting the precise boat.
In fact, one of the owners of one the boats, the "Sopressa", which was thoroughly discussed on one of my threads actually posted that he had just boat it and thanked the posters for all the great info they gave on my thread. Could be some weird coincidence, but I have learned my lesson on that. I was pretty bumbed seeing a couple of my short listers sell.
This was very good advice to the OP I wish that I had been warned.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer