Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04   #46

Boat: Looking...
Re: How Much Effort for Another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
take a fellow to dinner--you gave him one meal.
teach him to cook that which he already has, you gave him a life.
but ,, then , there are opportunists and others.......

i help until i am shown the individual cannot or will not learn from efforts to teach and help-- do they continue on as before ...and what do they brag about after the fact----the after bragging when they think no one gives a dang, that shows their character--is interesting to hear some of it come back, and how tell the story to others.....
Well put Zee!

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21   #47

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: How Much Effort for Another?

Gringo, you did well. You're the kind of sailor I'd always hope to anchor/moor near. Not to do my job for me, but to know not only that there isn't a loose cannon nearby, but someone helpful and neighbourly.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48   #48

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum
I have never understood why people choose to ride a storm out in a marina! I always feel safer on my own ground tackel in a safe anchorage or ideally tied in the mangroves.
Well, for me it's easy. At the marina I have 7 points of contact with the ground... and I used them all. I also had 14 lines out to the pilings and dock. All of which had chafe protection. I have more confidence in that than I do in my anchor setup currently. But that's changing.

My boat doesn't have a bow roller, so the next generation anchor I have is difficult to deploy and retrieve. I have one designed, and a friend is fabricating it... but until then I use a fortress. It has held in some rough stuff, but I'm just not there yet.

I really don't want to come off as knowing it all... that's extremely far from the truth. I bought this boat 5 years ago having never sailed... I grew up on power boats though. So I learn thru mistakes... and I'll make many more. But when someone suggests something, I evaluate what they are saying and see if it works for me, or if I disagree. Sometimes that happens online, sometimes at the dock.

Some things just seem obvious to me... we all have seen the swirling clouds on satellite images of hurricanes, so how can anybody possibly think that the wind is only going to come from one direction? You know the hurricane is a wind storm, so how come it has to be told to people to reduce your windage? Everyone has heard about storm surge, how come people neglect to set up their lines for higher water?

If I'm new at something, say tying up a boat for a storm, there's simply no excuse for not googling it. And if I'm not confident in it, and only lived a few minutes away, how can I possibly go to sleep without having checked on the boat? Maybe I love my boat more than I should... but it's more than a boat to me, it's my private rebellion, my escape module, and ironically, it's my freedom from consumerism.

That turned into more of a rant than I wanted it too....