Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 10:08   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Harbour Stench in Shoes

I had to read all the other replies to be sure no one had suggested this already.

FREEZE your shoes for 2 days. This kills the bacteria that cause the smell. Even if you have tried some of the other methods already, freezing will eliminate, or at least reduce the smell.

Good luck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 10:33   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I wld agree with Mark Killamarsh that rather than the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy you shed go for the Samsung Galaxy S5. It is waterproof, can even take underwater pics I think but he not tried it yet, you can add up to 64GB ST card, and you can change the battery. A much better phone for sailing. Displays Navionics v well.

Sorry about th shoes. Think I wld he put them in a washing machine on the delicates setting but a dose of vinegar or bleach afterwards wld add the finishing touches.

What we are all wondering is what persuaded you to leap into the water?
Old 13-06-2015, 10:46   #18

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Read carefully if you buy the water proof phone. I have the Sony experia. Somewhat waterproof, supposedly can take pictures swimming, talk in the shower,ect. Not warrantied though and salt water is a no go. That all said a little protection is better than none. Also I personally avoid all apple products. Never been a fan, but I seem to be in the minority.
As for the shoes, wash and dry as has been stated several times. Then use bamboo charcoal. Absorbs moisture and odors. I used it with martial arts gear(very smelly) and it works well.
And don't worry, I've gone for a few unexpected swims as well. Surprises aren't always a good thing, but at least they are exciting;-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:14   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Always wear "keepers" on your sun glasses. They go by different names but basically a string that keeps the glasses on your neck. Ask me how I know!!!! Smile

One responder said to buy Samsung because it is water proof to 1 meter. If u were able to do a perfect belly flop u might be okay. But since u said u hit your head on the way up I think u exceeded that rule by quite a
Margin. 1 meter is for splashes, tipped glasses, and drop it in the toilet time. Nothing more.
I was just saying it's better than nothing. On the other hand getting I did get hit by blue water on foredeck (it survived unscathed) I haven't tried it swimming and hope not to.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:31   #20

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I'm still waiting for "The Rest of the Story"

Was the sudden desire to take a bath one influenced by Irish heritage of a wee nip at noon? Followed by a prolonged tour of the local establishments?

Did your comfortable footwear have a loose heel? We need the goary details to match the temporary stench .

I agree with the need for re entry into fresh water.... Vinegar is the key neutralizer.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:52   #21

Boat: South Coast, sailboat, 22ft

Did you consider a diver, they are available in my marina.

Yes, I used their services and the diver found the keys that
went into the water easily in 10-minutes.

Richard
RichSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 13:33   #22
cruiser

Boat: Carpenter

I'm guessing you're Mr Bean and this is a sketch you're working on. If you're slightly serious however, I suggest that you subject your obnoxious footwear to a float test. That entails taking your shoes 5 miles offshore, lashing them to a scrap length of old anchor chain, tossing the lot overboard and seeing if they float. If they do not, then it's timely to treat yourself to a new pair. You are well placed in that regard with the infamous Dubarry brand being on your doorstep in Ireland. Let me know how the float test goes.
yotpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:26   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
I wld agree with Mark Killamarsh that rather than the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy you shed go for the Samsung Galaxy S5. It is waterproof, can even take underwater pics I think but he not tried it yet, you can add up to 64GB ST card, and you can change the battery. A much better phone for sailing. Displays Navionics v well.
Belt and braces. I have my S5 in a Lifeproof case.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:45   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Sorry about that. Personally I would either dive, or hire a diver, for the glasses - an economic win. Any modern electronic item that gets salt water inside while powered is likely toast - the salt water is both conductive and corrosive and polishes things off quickly. OTOH I had a friend who dropped a phone in fresh water in Sweden and couldn't dive for it for a week or two; after flushing, drying, and replacing the battery it worked like new.

Many have mentioned bacteria in regard to shoes but I think fungus is also a likely problem. Either way, leather does not fare well aboard a boat. I used to have nice leather sandals but the stink got so bad that they were binned and I now see the tao of synthetics. If you must have leather then it should be kept dry, which is not possible if there is salt in it. Personally I minimize leather aboard.

Use any excuse necessary to buy the duBarrys - they are soooo comfortable.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 16:33   #25

Boat: sv/Hopefully Soon

sorri abt ur loss...laundry detergent and OxiClean in the washing machine for 10 minutes will do the trick.
gud on yeah.

To splash or not to splash is never a question.
Wind Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 17:55   #26

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

Dear McGranec,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Having recently had the misfortune of a wet wellie (gum boot for the rest of you) I'm happy to share a sanitary and entertaining method of addressing your problem: fill the shoes with methylated spirits, drain it back in the bottle. Now go outside, please, before lighting the shoe (best one at a time). If (when) it gets out of hand dowse the flames in a bucket or wrap in a towel. Wellie is easy - just pinch the neck closed. Keep on lighting and dowsing until it no longer will ignite and then you will have a lovely warm, wholesome pair of shoes, ready for their next adventure. Hope that helps.
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 22:29   #27

Find a open space of water far from boats and docks.Get a nice board that floats nice.Put your stinky shoes on the board and douse with lighter fluid.Light with a lighter and push the board off.Its called a viking funeral for your shoes.
Old 13-06-2015, 23:01   #28
cruiser

10:1 water to bleach solution will kill any stink.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 00:10   #29

I use baking soda,sodium bicarbonate (not baking powder) in any footwear that need it. Just sprikle on the outside and inside each time you put them on. It kills the smell in most things very quickly and is so mild. Really good for sandles and arm pits, fridges, dogs: you name it!
Barkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:05   #30
cruiser

Boat: Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Jane View Post
Dear McGranec,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Having recently had the misfortune of a wet wellie (gum boot for the rest of you) I'm happy to share a sanitary and entertaining method of addressing your problem: fill the shoes with methylated spirits, drain it back in the bottle. Now go outside, please, before lighting the shoe (best one at a time). If (when) it gets out of hand dowse the flames in a bucket or wrap in a towel. Wellie is easy - just pinch the neck closed. Keep on lighting and dowsing until it no longer will ignite and then you will have a lovely warm, wholesome pair of shoes, ready for their next adventure. Hope that helps.
Brilliant!!!
yotpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc