Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 18:27   #1276

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

SV Jedi wrote:
Here is how Dashew sails back to San Diego.
[/QUOTE]

Just a little unrealistic for the "average cruiser and boat" 300 miles a day at 12 knots or more. Unreal. Good video though.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:27   #1277
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Pjs are all trained for defense. You need to do some SOG research.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:34   #1278
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
A family lost their home and wrecked their dreams.
Theres no speculation or introspection to be done here. Its gone. You can loose dreams a million ways and never fully mitigate or prepare for each one. It will get you. Period. You can only deal with today and try for tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:41   #1279

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
All this speculation has me inspired. Here's a few things I would like to know- ...
Lastly, what I really really want to know is which cheek is Eric getting his new tattoo on, Port or Starboard?

From Wikipedia-

"This tradition arose during the Vietnam War, at which point in time the most commonly used helicopter was the CH-3E, nicknamed the Jolly Green Giant due to its enormous size and olive drab exterior. The tradition came about when pilots or other military personnel were in need of rescue. After these personnel were rescued, they would proceed to receive the tattoo of the green feet on their buttocks due to the fact that the Para Jumpers "saved their ass."

By the picture, it looks like there's only one cheek to pick from.

Gotta remember, many of those boys ... and boys they were, were drafted. It's a different mindset. Pardon the drift but let's keep this on the up and up.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:45   #1280
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Theres no speculation or introspection to be done here. Its gone. You can loose dreams a million ways and never fully mitigate or prepare for each one. It will get you. Period. You can only deal with today and try for tomorrow.

That's not entirely fair. Reasoned analysis is useful and serves to inform those that may consider threading the same path.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2014, 18:52   #1281

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Eric and Rebel Heart were not in need of rescue. The baby was. If rescue was not available he would still have made a successful voyage but maybe with loss of baby due to unsuccessful skirmish with Tropical climate. (Maybe the baby should have the tattoo.)

As a result of this trip, I think the rest of the family will know his commitment to them is greater than his life and dream. To me that makes it a successful voyage.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:58   #1282
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Eric and Rebel Heart were not in need of rescue. The baby was. If rescue was not available he would still have made a successful voyage but maybe with loss of baby due to unsuccessful skirmish with Tropical climate. (Maybe the baby should have the tattoo.)

As a result of this trip, I think the rest of the family will know his commitment to them is greater than his life and dream. To me that makes it a successful voyage.

While you have good intentions , what you say is just speculation. We know some facts , a rescue was mounted, a baby was treated and the boat was abandoned. Furthermore we have in existence the blogs of the two parents and in it they excess their thoughts , and emotions

What we don't really know is anything god or bad to do with the boat, nor what really prompted the Epirb alert. Nor can you hypothesise into the future what might or might not have happened. We don't need a Charles weber in reverse either

But I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. It's was not however a successful voyage, but most assuredly it was a successful outcome.

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 19:02   #1283
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Mind you what an 80 foot custom 1.5 million dollar boat has to do with this is confusing , but nice video
The video shows how things are aboard boats that do successful passages. It shows the mindset, the experience of the crew, the chores, the joy etc. Mind you, the Dashews did this with their kids too.

I included the video to show the difference with the impression I got from reading the RH blog. etc. It was very different, to put it mildly.
Old 11-04-2014, 19:02   #1284
cruiser

Quote:
That's not entirely fair. Reasoned analysis is useful and serves to inform those that may consider threading the same path.

Dave

BS. This isn't your dream to be analyzing. Get your own broken dream. Anything else is a theft.

1,000,000 ways to fail. 1,000,000 delusions you can learn and prevent.
Old 11-04-2014, 19:05   #1285
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post

Old 11-04-2014, 19:08   #1286
Nearly an old salt

Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
BS. This isn't your dream to be analyzing. Get your own broken dream. Anything else is a theft.

1,000,000 ways to fail. 1,000,000 delusions you can learn and prevent.

Actually I repeatedly made the point that I was not seeking to comment on there dream, what's decisions they made to arrive at where they did. , I fully respect and seek not to contradict

But the incident has lessons, to ignore them , is to bury your head in the sand.

Equally CF has engaged in vitriolic ( and I believe you have contributed to those threads) denunciations of other abandoned boats, rescues and so forth. I saw no compassion there.

Again analysing their dream is irrelevant , it's theirs. The incident has useful value for the cruising community as a whole, As a SAR person , it also has value in looking at our own abilities in a similar circumstance.

But il not continue this in this thread, there is a perfectly good one running on CF about that aspect

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 19:17   #1287
cruiser

Quote:

But il not continue this in this thread, there is a perfectly good one running on CF about that aspect

Dave

Good. This isn't about me or you. Its about giving them support.
Old 11-04-2014, 19:29   #1288
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Good. This isn't about me or you. Its about giving them support.

When the next unfortunate , who you don't know, presses the red button , I'll remind you of your comment. Personally I have defended far more then just one.

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 19:31   #1289

Boat: Last:Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the guy is a journalist,cross posting from the blog ,and misrepresenting,there is no debate going on here,he is trolling for a story.
Sorry Atoll, but that's a big fat lie. I will not engage with you further. I've tried to be respectful but you clearly don't play fair online. I'm sure you and your clique will disagree, but we both left high school a long time ago.

Quote:
Obviously this Charlie Weber guy was sailing with them then. Or living in their head.
It's actually extraordinarily easy to get into their heads, thanks to their own copious number of words. In their blog posts, made while underway, they shared all kinds of stuff, from when they were able to sneak in a quickie to the first mate's complaint that she had not even had time to change her maxi-pad, to Charlotte's early passage observation that "this might be the stupidest thing we've ever done." The captain's final complaints about sailing in force 5 conditions for 3 whole days were also quite telling to an objective observer with offshore experience.

After reading all of that it sure wasn't hard to conclude that they all wanted to get the heck off the boat... it's not exactly unheard of among first timers off shore, you know? And given the added challenge of an unhealthy, extremely unhappy crew in way over their heads, who wouldn't want off?

I'm really sorry if these truths are uncomfortable for some, but if you read the Kaufman's own words and couple them with the end result, the truth is self-evident, no matter what may be claimed after the fact.
Old 11-04-2014, 19:35   #1290

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Weber View Post
I'm really sorry if these truths are uncomfortable for some, but if you read the Kaufman's own words and couple them with the end result, the truth is self-evident, no matter what may be claimed after the fact.
The Kaufman's called for medical advice. A CG surgeon called in the PJs. Once the PJs were on board, they needed to get off and determined that the child needed to be cleared by a pediatrician.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico