Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57   #376

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quite a few posts about the boat taking on water when motoring. They had a leaking packing gland which I believe was fixed. Let's remember that we haven't heard anything from them yet and don't even know if this is still an issue. Charlotte's sister is doing a great job as spokesman, but she isn't a sailor and may not have everything exactly right.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59   #377

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If Eric concurs, that Reble Heart is in a condition to be saved it would be fabulous if she was found and sailed to safety. What a story! What an excellent cause! What a plus for CF! For cruisers the world over! To have the family saved and the boat as well might make the difference for them to try again and succeed.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:09   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknebes View Post
I was amazed when I saw it on Fox this morning. I couldn't believe it. Discussed the cost--are you kidding me?!? Please, I'd much rather tax $$ go to work for something like this than another golfing outing for man living in the White House or another trip for his wife.

The story has just gotten so big, I feel so sorry for them when they get back. Definitely send some $$ to help out, always amazed at how awesome the support is on this forum. You guys are great!

Monica
When I hear how much this or any search and rescue mission costs I always wonder what the cost is when they are not rescuing anyone. It's not as if the planes, Helicopters & ships are sitting at their home base when they are not rescuing someone and it's not like they are no paying for the crews to sit idle. It seems to me that everyone involved is getting invaluable real world training. I guess that sort of idea is not such an interesting angle for Fox to push
Old 06-04-2014, 09:20   #379

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

I was also tossing around if Eric should leave the boat hove to, on a sea anchor or sailing with a minimal amount of sail up and with the hydrovane steering a set course. I seem to remember someone else a few years back had to abandon and set his boat on a course where it was salvaged a few weeks later. Thoughts?
http://www.cruisingworld.com/news/th...of-bela-bartok

Indeed, it has been done. I hope, if conditions are right for it, that the idea occurs to Rebel Heart and that the Navy captain allows him the time to do it. It could make recovery so much easier and the distance to intercept her so much shorter.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29   #380

Frankly if his daughter is better now or at least out of harms way why wouldn't he simply sail the boat somewhere??
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31   #381

My heart goes out to Charlotte, Eric, Cora and Lyra and I'm thrilled to see the forum has shut down the negative comments and are supporting this wonderful family my husband and I have come to admire so much. Char, we love you and wish only the best for you and your family!

I know there is a lot of speculation about what made Lyra sick and no one but the family or medical responders can answer that. I do know based on her previous blogs and FB posts that the samonella was before they left and had the doctor's all clear. Also, I know Charlotte and Eric are huge supporters of vaccinations, also based on her blog. I don't think the blog should be taken down...haters are always out there and removing it it would imply they have something to hide. Plus it could help address some of the speculation, such as suggesting they weren't responsible enough vaccinate their children.

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog - Vaccinating your Baby in Mexico | Vaccines inÂ*Mexico
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40   #382

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
At least as far as measles is concerned (the only one I checked), Mexico has a higher rate of vaccination than the US. See Immunization, measles (% of children ages 12-23 months) | Data | Table
Before 1957 there was no MMR vaccine. So that leaves probably half of the population of the world questionable.
End of thread drift!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:44   #383
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I don't know where people are getting their info but the boat is not abandoned the USS Vadergrift is in enroute to pick them up all are on the boat including the medics that were dropped in.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48   #384

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I don't know where people are getting their info but the boat is not abandoned the USS Vadergrift is in enroute to pick them up all are on the boat including the medics that were dropped in.
It came from Charlotte's sister. The boat will be abandoned when that rendevous occurs.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48   #385
cruiser

I believe it was reported that Eric was going to abandon it and the navy informed him they could take only what they could carry.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:53   #386

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

It's been reported that the whole Kaufman family has boarded the Vandergrift.

Plus this:
"They will not sink the Rebel Heart; instead, they will tag it and let it float along."

[from the article below the video in this link]

Stranded Family With Sick Baby Boards Navy Rescue Ship | NBC 7 San Diego
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Frankly if his daughter is better now or at least out of harms way why wouldn't he simply sail the boat somewhere??
My wife said the same comment. "That's our home. If our daughter is going to be fine I'll take care of her. Bring us back our home"

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21   #388

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi folks,

I had the pleasure of making Eric and Charlotte's acquaintance on the dock at Marina De La Paz. They are great and friendly folks, and their daughters are lovely and energetic. It has been said already, but you guys have done everything right in very trying circumstances.

I'm glad to hear the medical issue is being dealt with, and I hope you are able to recover your fine boat/home. I hope your skins are thick, as I just sampled some of the comments on your blog by the couch riders of our fair land. Pay them no mind, as they will never know what they have missed in life.

Wishing you all the best, and hope to cross paths with you again soon.

Cheers, Bill
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22   #389

Serious question. I see the media taking liberties with quoting blog posts on RH's website. Aren't those posts considered intellectual copyrights? Are media allowed to quote from a website without permission?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24   #390
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I hope they have good insurance. At 900 miles out I'm afraid a proper salvage operation would exceed the value of the vessel especially if the boat is disabled.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico