Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 09:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Florida 55+ community with gulf access

Hello one and all,

I have read a lot of posts and just started a few posts of my own, but as the time continues to get closer I am still struggling on best options.

I intend to acquire a used Catamaran in 2016 looking at 36ft-40ft range. I have read thorough many forums and given my experience I need to stay attached to a Marina for 6 months to a year before just taking off. Of this I agree..

After my research I intend to move to Florida, thinking west gulf coast side. So while I been looking at marina's and trying to find some I can afford, another thought has come about.

I am wondering about the possibility of seeing if there are any affordable 55+ communities where a person could purchase a modular home, that still has gulf access for my cat. I have been doing some research but thought I ask if anyone here has knowledge on the subject. I thought this might be an approach to get my better half adjusted slowly into live-aboard mode and perhaps a place to come back to in a few years. Thoughts? Ideas?

If not I am still open to marina suggestions for the west gulf coast side of Florida. Because I am financially extending myself to acquire my boat, then I am looking for a home port that costs less than 600.00 monthly.

I will end this with saying that this forum is great, I have gained lots of very useful information and continue to learn from this group experiences.

Thanks to one and all and may everyone have Happy Holiday's !!!
pondering65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 16:27   #2

Boat: 40' Leopard
Re: Florida 55+ community with gulf access

Look at Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda Florida .
You would really like the people and 600 is doable
Good Luck
Rancher
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 13:44   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

If looking to stay tied to the dock for awhile in the west coast of Florida check out Crystal River Pete's Pier. I say this because the cost is $500/mo when I checked last year but zero to stay out in Kings Bay. The water is thin for a sailboat but ok for a cat. There are grocery stores and a West Marine just a short walk from Pete's Pier. The winter weather can get chilly a few nights a year.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 18:18   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

I am in the same position, although I already pulled the trigger and bought the boat (monohull) and am focused on east coast in Stuart area. I found several deeded docks with purchase of home or condo, or even a discounted rate slip but the dilemma is the docks seem to be no longer than 30'. I have a Jeanneau 349. Lots of deep water, no fixed bridges but all above 300k.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:34   #5

Pondering65, any new insights on your investigation?
Old 31-12-2015, 07:27   #6

Google Emily lane. Fort myers beach

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:28   #7

Thx Chuck, looks like a nice place. I have a Jeanneau 349 with 4' 10" draft. Would presume that would be no problem. I dig all the work your doing to the Shucker. If your not in marine trades, you must be the area's most experienced DIYr 😀
Old 31-12-2015, 08:38   #8

Im on the Canal side of Emily lane. I had to work with the tides to get over one spot on the way in from the gulf. I had a 5-6 draft. 36 foot sloop. Not sure how to say it but, anything over 1/2 tide and rising was a go. The canal farthest to the west has pretty large commercial boats going in occasionally . My street is not 55 and over so ah... Much more eclectic . The other streets are 55 and over, Much less eclectic aka. Very neatly kept.

brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:20   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

My research shows Emily Lane still a bit out of my price range and not finding anything else within my budget for house/dock and gulf access but thank you for the imput.

Looks like the I am going to have to do a Marina and go where the current takes me after that. Still looking at Marina options. The Burnt Store Marina is coming in at 660.00 min. from my checking. Currently researching some others in the southern half gulf side.

Thanks again one and all for the input. As I am closing in on pulling the trigger I find this site and more importantly the knowledge level of folks out here to be invaluable..
pondering65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 03:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondering65 View Post
My research shows Emily Lane still a bit out of my price range and not finding anything else within my budget for house/dock and gulf access but thank you for the imput.

Looks like the I am going to have to do a Marina and go where the current takes me after that. Still looking at Marina options. The Burnt Store Marina is coming in at 660.00 min. from my checking. Currently researching some others in the southern half gulf side.

Thanks again one and all for the input. As I am closing in on pulling the trigger I find this site and more importantly the knowledge level of folks out here to be invaluable..

Ok, so now I gave up on Stuart and will move to Charlotte Harbir, Gasparilla Sound area around Punta Gorda. I found Stuart to be densely packed and prices followed suit. There are more types of arrangements available in SW FL in this area including lots of modular homes all the way to super beautiful homes. Burnt Store Marina is great but very remote. Not a lot of 55+ but the place is full of retirees and off beaten path so I think I am looking at natural selection due to geography.
Old 18-02-2016, 04:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
Look at Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda Florida .
You would really like the people and 600 is doable
Good Luck
Rancher

I am looking at Burnt Store Marina but it seems to be out in middle of nowhere. I am impressed with so much water access around Charlotte Harbor and am wrestling with a decision for buying a house, condo with slip vs a landlocked house, condo with Marina slip. I see your a local, any area insight?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:02   #12

Boat: Watkins 36

RK,

Did you look into tampa Bay Area? We used to own a condo with boat slip in Madeira Beach Yacht Club. There are units available in there for as little as $145k ( 1 bedroom). Once you are an owner you can buy or rent a slip from other owners . $20k buy or $100/month rent. It's a weekly rental complex so you can rent your condo out while you are out sailing and get income. (Paid to go sailing...grin..). Walking distance to everything including the beach. Plenty of other options for condos with boat slips in the area for under $300k. We live in a condo on the water in Treasure Island now, boats in my back yard.. Full disclosure... I am a broker and know the waterfront properties very well, be glad to help out if you need.

Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
RK,

Did you look into tampa Bay Area? We used to own a condo with boat slip in Madeira Beach Yacht Club. There are units available in there for as little as $145k ( 1 bedroom). Once you are an owner you can buy or rent a slip from other owners . $20k buy or $100/month rent. It's a weekly rental complex so you can rent your condo out while you are out sailing and get income. (Paid to go sailing...grin..). Walking distance to everything including the beach. Plenty of other options for condos with boat slips in the area for under $300k. We live in a condo on the water in Treasure Island now, boats in my back yard.. Full disclosure... I am a broker and know the waterfront properties very well, be glad to help out if you need.

I might take you up on that Tim. I google earthed it and was shocked to see what I thought were hundreds of slips in open water but realized I was looking at high aerials of Cape Coral like communities built on the natural sound area. The old land developers would never get away with that today.

Which is better sailing water, Tampa Bay or Gasparilla sound?
Old 06-04-2016, 15:45   #14
vjm

This may not be helpful, but on the east coast there are some 55+ buildings with associated dockage in the 85-125k range. I know I have seen some in Lake Park and North Palm, which are just north of West Palm Beach. I'm on mobile, but I will search the listings tomorrow at work and paste some examples in here.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:52   #15

Boat: Watkins 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I might take you up on that Tim. I google earthed it and was shocked to see what I thought were hundreds of slips in open water but realized I was looking at high aerials of Cape Coral like communities built on the natural sound area. The old land developers would never get away with that today.

Which is better sailing water, Tampa Bay or Gasparilla sound?

Hmmm... 2 different areas.

Tampa Bay, plenty of marinas and opportunities to pull in somewhere, downtown St Pete is great, good sailing in the bay, but need to watch out for the tower trash and of course the shipping channel. Little Harbor on east side of bay is great day trip and wonderful tiki bar on the beach. Good gunk hole in mouth of Manatee river or couple good marinas there also. Plenty of developments and other traffic. You can go up the inside Boca Ciega Bay and find what ever you need, marinas, yards, anchorage etc.. And traffic..

Charlotte Harbor, some skinny water but great sailing also, awesome anchor spots, Pelican Bay, Cabbage Key, Cayo Costa park, Love Tunnel, lots of undeveloped land, less traffic, no tower trash, more remote. Gasparilla Marina is great but hour sail north end. Quiet little place. Head south on the inside and Captiva is great, and then pop out into Fort Myers Beach. All good (cept the miserable mile..avoid on Sunday afternoons)

Like em both for different reasons.....

Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida