Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 09:34   #1

First Time Cruisers - Advice & Recommended Readings??

My husband and I recently purchased a 2009 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i and are getting ready to do some long term cruising beginning between October and December. We are both fairly experienced sailors (having had a smaller Hunter for several years), however have mostly been day sailors.

Our plan is to start out in the US Virgin Islands (boat is located there) and cruise the Caribbean for a couple of months ultimately making our way down the coast of South America to Monte Video where we have family.

I would very much appreciate any advice or knowledge from anyone who has sailed this route previously. I understand that getting down the north coast of South America can been difficult due to current and wind and would like to know how anyone has dealt with this. We would prefer not to cross the Atlantic to Cape Verde as has been recommended. Does anyone know an approximate length of time to get down to Montevideo / Buenos Aires?

Lastly, if anyone knows of any recommended reading or websites for first time cruisers, I would glad to learn of these as well.

Thanks very much!
windward77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, men