Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 22:48   #1

First sailing experience!

I've recently got the opportunity to go sailing for the first time, I realize I'm "jumping in the deep end" with no prior experience but the others on the yacht are keen to teach me and I'm just as much wanting to learn. I'll be onboard a 47ft Cutter with 2x Italians. Sailing from New Zealand to New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Darwin, Bali, Christmas Islands, Coco Keeling, Mauritius, Reunion, South Africa, St Helena and finally Salvador in Brazil. I'm crazy excited!

I've spoke to them a lot and asked many questions but I've one that I wanted to ask the online community here.

What is the community like in sailing? Once you reach your destination, is it common for other sailors to meet up, socialize etc? I feel if I'm in a yacht with just 2 other people at sea for weeks, the first thing I would want to do is meet and chat to more people.

and is there any tips for first timers? Big does and donts?

All the best,
Nick.
nicksource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:35   #2

Boat: Passport 40
Re: First sailing experience!

Wow!
What an experience that will be! I hope you have an awesome time. Unfortunately I can not answer your questions as I am still a wannabe, but I am sure someone here can. My guess that the worldwide cruising community is as different as the people that sail it. Some friendly, some preferring to stay to themselves. I think the only way you are going to know is by doing it!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:15   #3

Cool Trip!

The sailing community is very amiable. The time I can identify in my life where I experienced the greatest sense of community was definitely my time as a full time live aboard. Its fantastic and your never short of a drinking buddy.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:22   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Ummm... You might just want to double check whether you are prone to seasickness, comfortable on a boat, etc. In my opinion setting off halfway around the world as your first time on a boat is somewhat risky. Not that you might not love it, but you might just want to get out on the open ocean for a day first. Whatever you do, good luck! Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Don't put yourself in a position that you could fall overboard, especially if your on watch by yourself. Have fun
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksource View Post

and is there any tips for first timers? Big does and donts?

All the best,
Nick.
Ask you skipper / captain for a copy of his standing orders. That will provide you with a guide on how to conduct yourself.

Make absolute sure that you are healthy. Have a complete physical and dental check up.

Get out for a few day sails, preferably in fairly rough seas. Go below and try reading. That will let you know how well you can handle the motion of the boat. Check our several seasickness medications to determine how they affect you.

Yes - sailors do socialize when they get to shore - a lot.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 23:03   #7

Thanks a lot for the friendly replies!

I'm going to have a day sail to and around Bay of Islands, NZ, so that should give me a bit more insight. I've never had any sickness issues when I've been on boats for full days before, so I hope to be fine for the long haul!

How does a 47ft yacht rank in the sailing world in terms of size? Is it deemed quite big?

As for community, I'm excited that so many people have good experiences of meeting fellow peeps onshore. I feel like I'm asking the obvious but how do you come across one another, is there usually a "club house" or just from seeing one another frequently around the moorings, local bars etc?

All the best,
Nick.
nicksource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 08:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksource View Post
How does a 47ft yacht rank in the sailing world in terms of size? Is it deemed quite big?

As for community, I'm excited that so many people have good experiences of meeting fellow peeps onshore. I feel like I'm asking the obvious but how do you come across one another, is there usually a "club house" or just from seeing one another frequently around the moorings, local bars etc?

All the best,
Nick.
47 feet is quite big. A cutter will have a good sail plan for bluewater sailing.

A yacht club will have a club house. Many marinas have pubs / bars in the vicinity. Some mooring field have beach bars. When other folks find out what you are up to, they will want to chat.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail, sailing