Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2016, 17:27   #1

Fatty Knees dinghy question - securing oars

Fatty Knees owners: is there an easy way to secure/lock the oars in the boat while at a public dinghy dock so the oars or boat don't go missing? (Just trying to dissuade kids from taking her for a ride, not prevent determined thieves.) I've seen hardware that can be used to lock a pair of oars to a thwart of a tradition boat, but given the configuration of the FK I don't think it will work.

JiminVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:14   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fatty Knees dinghy question - securing oars

I remember coming back to our hard dink one day and there was some guy out rowing around in it, having fun. A small enough cable will wrap around the shafts and make them pretty hard to take away.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:54   #3

Boat: Crewing on a maxi cat

Drill a 1-1/2" hole through each oar blade, so that you can pass the bitter end of your locking cable through them, prior to locking the dink to something. Or add a 2nd cable to the dink for securing them via such a hole. And ensure that your oarlocks can't be slipped off of the oars, via an affixed collar of some sort.

Also, there's more info on that topic, tips for fitting out a dinghy, & more, in this thread Sailor's Guide To Rowing

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:42   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I'm more concerned about someone taking the oars than going for a joyride, and I didn't want to drill a hole through the oar blades. They are Shaw & Tenny oars - I think it would cause me physical pain to drill through them.

I was planning to thread a small cable/wire through the holes at the bottom of the oarlocks, put a loop in each end, and padlock them together so the oars couldn't be pulled out. It won't stop someone who really wants them, but I figured it might dissuade bored teenagers. I haven't done it yet, however.
Our blog:
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Edson Oar-Loc - Oar Safety Locking Device

It's a yoke that secures the shafts of the oars with a lockable pin that passes through a dinghy seat. A bit pricey but cheap if you ever have to paddle home with your hands.
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

dinghy, fatty knees

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: