Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 04:14   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool East Coast ICW Travel W Unstepped Mast

I read here recently that this is becoming more common, but also boats have been seen with no masts at all. I'm wondering about what to make of this. Thoughts?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:35   #2

Re: East Coast ICW Travel W Unstepped Mast

I have seen 2 boats where the mast was cut to just keep a steadying sail and the keel was reduced as well
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:53   #3

Completely unstepped would be uncomfortably rolly, I think.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:54   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Just guessing here, but I've read that there are a couple of low bridges encountered by folks doing the great circle which require unstepping the mast or masts. Also some folks are working on their boats and need to move them with masts unstepped. Others need rigging work done and can't find a local rigger or are taking the boat to where replacemant spars are located due to high shipping fees. Don't really need masts stepped on the waterway if the engine runs and one can afford diesel. My masts are on sawhorses on the hill while I refinish them. If for some reason I had to move from this marina or it got cold before I'm ready to put them back up, I'd put them on supports over the cabin top and haul them to somewhere warmer.
Old 22-06-2011, 06:17   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have only encountered one or two boats doing the ICW with the mast unstepped and on deck. One had come from Canada and the last I saw of it was in Charleston. Coming from Canada there are long sections of open water and one section in the Atlantic. Unless the mast is adequately secured to prevent sideways and fore and aft movement this is very dangerous.

On the other hand doing the ICW without a mast must be a delight. A friend of mine who lives in Florida did this a few years ago. I was travelling behind him and he zipped under most of the bridges! As most know, for sailboats, bridges are the worst part of the ICW
Old 22-06-2011, 07:37   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Why? It is 1090 statute miles on the ICW between Norfolk and Miami alone. Even assuming you will be motoring most of the time in that stretch are you going to not want to sail at any time between the Hudson River and Norfolk, or in the Great Lakes, or from the Florida Keys up to Mobile, assuming you're doing the Great Circle Route? For that matter I often combine outside runs with inside work depending on the weather. Besides, the mast and sails are a safety feature even when motoring--what if your engine fails for some reason.
Old 22-06-2011, 09:31   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Sorry, I can't resist........ There are about a zillion power boats running up and down the waterway in danger because they don't have sails in case their engine quits. I'm all kinds of covered, got engine, sails and a 10 hp outboard on the hard dink in case I have to tow it.
Old 22-06-2011, 16:57   #8

Cool Re: East Coast ICW Travel W Unstepped Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have seen 2 boats where the mast was cut to just keep a steadying sail and the keel was reduced as well

This is similar to what I was reading. I can't help but wonder if we are seeing a Renaisance of sorts, with pure lubbers buying sailboats at giveaway prices and modding out in a minimal way. But now it moves. the sin qua non of a cruiser.

Pardon the gloom and doom. The economy has me down. We're the lucky ones. I worked for a shrimper/mercenary/ hard nosed guy who said "when the **** hits the fan, I'm going where they've never had electricity."
Old 22-06-2011, 17:08   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

My chunk of the ICW on the west coast of Florida has a lot more sailboats under power than sail... Always has. Methinks the average "sailor" is a power boater with a dream that never materializes!
Old 22-06-2011, 17:17   #10

Boat: grampian 26

Motoring with the mast down in fairly sheltered water is not too big a deal. It is crucial to secure the mast well enough to prevent it moving around in less than ideal conditions. From my personal experience the main problem was pitching which caused the mast to pump back and forth. If I have to do it again I will need to rethink the method of mounting it on deck.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
My chunk of the ICW on the west coast of Florida has a lot more sailboats under power than sail... Always has. Methinks the average "sailor" is a power boater with a dream that never materializes!

I think that's correct, George. It's great as soon as the engine is turned off but that's when the work starts. I've been on a lot of weekenders with others. Time to go home? Iron genny and haul ass.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:12   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We lived aboard and cruised our sailboat Sea Trek for over 17 years. The majority of the time we were motoring and often noted that we were a trawler with sticks. That is not to say we did not have some great sails. To try and answer your question on the ICW, more than likely these folks without masts are "Loopers" doing the great loop. It is common practice to remove the masts to be able to clear fixed bridges along the route and either carry them on deck or better yet, not have to deal with them and have them shipped to a marina where they can be re-stepped. Some will even do this to not have to deal with ICW bridges. Others permenently modify the boat and eliminate the masts altogether. They are strictly coastal cruisers. We now own a trawler and enjoy the shoal draft, extra room in a smaller boat and additional power to cover more ground in a shorter time. Our cruising plans now are for coastal and inland lakes and rivers. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 20:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We now own a trawler and enjoy the shoal draft, extra room in a smaller boat and additional power to cover more ground in a shorter time. Our cruising plans now are for coastal and inland lakes and rivers. Chuck

Happiness depends on knowing what you want.

Good input on loopers. Guess that's more popular than I thought. Thanks

Tags
east coast, icw, mast