Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 06:38   #106

Boat: center console
Re: Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

A couple of points:

1) These drums were made from recycled steel, not iron ore, most likely shredded car bodies.
2) No comments on what great gun targets they would have made?
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 07:13   #107

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

I can forgive you for the oil drums, but not for calling a swan 82 a super yacht. Were the oil drums somehow concealing a helipad? Where is the jacuzzi? I saw no dangerously young girls dressed in bikinis. For shame! On the upside, I can now refer to my Pearson 28 as a maxi, and next time I charter a 50 ft cat in the BVI, I'll be sure to write home and tell my friends that it's Ellison's.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 08:23   #108
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Do you still have it somewhere? Wanted to show it to the SO
No, it's gone as far as I can tell, but if you look at their other vids, you get the general idea... Fairly well done as these things go, lots of time-lapse stuff set to some edgy, hip music... Not so much about the actual sailing, more about stuff like the crew swinging outboard from a spinnaker halyard and being dunked, a sort of X-Games vibe aboard someone else's multi-million $ toy mid-Atlantic... ;-)

No narration, and lesser production values than this one of the Wally 100 INDIO, of their crossing as part of the Maxi Yacht Cup... They didn't need drums of fuel on deck to make the passage, the owner was actually aboard for the trip, and the only thing they show being tossed overboard is a Message in a Bottle... ;-)

However, after following a couple of these "Superyachts Crossing to the Caribbean" exploits, I can't help but notice how often they appear to run aground upon their arrival in Paradise...

;-)

(you need to watch all the way to the end, after the credits ;-))

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:55   #109

Boat: a sailing boat

one - are black texacos fuel or oil?

two - are perhaps empty barrels more dangerous in storm than full barrels?

three: why buy a "sailing" boat and store fuel in barrels?

etc.

If you are in a hurry, get a proper power boat and store your fuel in fuel tanks.

People with power-boater mindsets pretending to be sailors. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:15   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
How many barrels of crude did the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig cause to be spilled into the Gulf of Mexico? Exxon Valdez? How about the approx. 2 dozen large ships that sink every year? Or the ship that pumped out bunker fuel in Vancouver harbour earlier this year? Or the 100s of thousands of barrels of nuclear, munitions and chemical waste that have been dumped into the oceans by your government and mine? Or the toxic mining wastes that leach into the oceans from almost every country in the world.

A couple of empty barrels thrown overboard mean nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Interesting that no one even commented on the average of two large ships that sink every week.
The basis of your entire argument seems to be "well larger stuff ends up in the ocean too, so who cares about this smaller stuff".

You can carry this logic onto negate legitimate complaints across a multitude of topics. Say the mistreatment of women for instance, "ah what's she complaining about a black eye, women in Saudi Arabia get stoned to death".

It's pretty shoddy logic to base one's argument on the old "well worse stuff happens too, so who cares".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Most medium islands in the caribbean burn trash (this means everything - batteries, chemicals, whole appliances, etc... ), pushes what's left onto a barge, takes the metal and leftover stuff, takes it out to deep water, and pushes it overboard.
See above, rather pathetic excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
If you think you are making a difference by disposing of your trash in any trash receptical outside "the first world" you are disillusioned. Trash collection is a social jobs program.
My father was an Engineer in the British Merchant Navy for many years and used to sell empty diesel barrels by the dozen to locals in the Caribbean (typically in exchange for rum and cigarettes) who were more than happy to use them for all sorts of purposes. They could resell them at a profit, re-use them for storage or for other DIY projects. These are a valuable asset to such people, they were delighted to receive a new, in tact barrel.
HughMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:24   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
one - are black texacos fuel or oil?

two - are perhaps empty barrels more dangerous in storm than full barrels?

three: why buy a "sailing" boat and store fuel in barrels?

etc.

If you are in a hurry, get a proper power boat and store your fuel in fuel tanks.

People with power-boater mindsets pretending to be sailors. ;-)

b.
See the response below from one of the crew. I love the name they chose

BTW does your view extend to cruisers who carry a few jerry cans on deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum thrower View Post
Unlike cruising yachts, superyachts have a schedule to meet... They take a rhumb line straight across the alantic.
Do you think the owners care if they burn an extra couple thousand litres to get there a week earlier?

Of course it's possible to sail the entire route. But as you'd understand from these rich owners perspective, what's a few thousand bucks if they get to use their boat a lot sooner?
Old 23-08-2015, 10:44   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
.... and the only thing they show being tossed overboard is a Message in a Bottle... ;-)
Rut Roh. No you done did it. Now the discussion can turn to the ecological correctness of Messages In Bottles.

Seems like that has been a heated debate from time to time on CF.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:07   #113

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcB View Post
The basis of your entire argument seems to be "well larger stuff ends up in the ocean too, so who cares about this smaller stuff".

You can carry this logic onto negate legitimate complaints across a multitude of topics. Say the mistreatment of women for instance, "ah what's she complaining about a black eye, women in Saudi Arabia get stoned to death".

It's pretty shoddy logic to base one's argument on the old "well worse stuff happens too, so who cares".

See above, rather pathetic excuse.

My father was an Engineer in the British Merchant Navy for many years and used to sell empty diesel barrels by the dozen to locals in the Caribbean (typically in exchange for rum and cigarettes) who were more than happy to use them for all sorts of purposes. They could resell them at a profit, re-use them for storage or for other DIY projects. These are a valuable asset to such people, they were delighted to receive a new, in tact barrel.
No excuse - fact.

You really hate that its true. You can go ahead and get all red in the face and stomp around, yell, kick, and scream ....but that's the facts.

Barrel comes from sea -> Barrel goes to dump -> Barrel gets burned -> Barrel loaded onto barge -> Barrel goes to sea.

I'm not joining your happy parade.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:24   #114

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
A couple of points:

1) These drums were made from recycled steel, not iron ore, most likely shredded car bodies.
2) No comments on what great gun targets they would have made?
At first I thought maybe they were going shark or devil ray fishing...

But surely all steel drums must make their way to the Caribbean......

https://www.asme.org/career-educatio...-musical-drums

Jeff
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:24   #115

Boat: Corsair f28r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
A U.S. Flagged vessel is subject to U.S. Law anywhere it goes. Thus MARPOL applies. There are actually six seperate annexes that deal with oil, but it basically boils down to U. S. Ships cannot discharge diesel or oil overboard for any reason. Cooking oil is a little tricky and can be discharged under some circumstances. And evaporated diesel still leaves behind a non volatile residue that can't be discharged.

For volatiles there are restrictions, but if I am not mistaken they don't apply until there is a daily discharge in excess of what any yacht deals with. They are primarily concerned with fueling stations and mandated vapor recovery systems from filling tanks, not letting a fuel tank 'dry' out.
Try dumping them in Australia, put it on youtube and see what happens, there would be a public stoning and boat would probably be burnt at next port! No-one has the right to use the ocean as their personal dump site!
ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:44   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernst View Post
Try dumping them in Australia, put it on youtube and see what happens, there would be a public stoning and boat would probably be burnt at next port! No-one has the right to use the ocean as their personal dump site!
Another believer in the trash fairy.

Honestly, what do you believe happens to all your trash in the magical land down under? Specifically.... a steel drum? Do you believe all of them get shipped to the Caribbean and made into musical instruments? I don't believe China wants your steel rubbish any longer, where... does it all go?

When you take out the rubbish, does it just magically disappear and only environmentally friendly things happen to it? How can you be so sure?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:52   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Another believer in the trash fairy.

Honestly, what do you believe happens to all your trash in the magical land down under? Specifically.... a steel drum? Do you believe all of them get shipped to the Caribbean and made into musical instruments? I don't believe China wants your steel any longer, where... does it all go?
Edmonton recycles 55% of its trash. They actually care for their trash fairy.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-08-2015, 14:01   #118
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Edmonton recycles 55% of its trash. They actually care for their trash fairy.p
And you actually believe that?

The people in Massachusetts believe the same figures, but in fact.... Nearly all of the trash gets fed into incinerators. Honestly.. What do you think happens to the bazillions of plastic bottles? In Massachusetts we're led to believe that they're turned into park benches, that's what the politicians claim. I've yet to see a single park bench make from recycled plastic.
Old 23-08-2015, 14:06   #119

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
And you actually believe that?

The people in Massachusetts believe the same figures, but in fact.... Nearly all of the trash gets fed into incinerators. Really... What do you think happens to the bazillions of plastic bottles? In Massachusetts we're led to believe that they're turned into park benches, that's what the politicians claim. I've yet to see a single park bench make from recycled plastic.

Ken's pretty much spot on. I live in MA. I don't know if the recycleables go to the incinerator but the cardboard in the dumpster marked, Cardboard Only, goes in the same truck as all the other trash that goes to the incinerator.

One plus is that our incinerator produces and sells steam to a neighboring factory.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 14:13   #120
cruiser

Usually, the incinerator company is the top bidder for the recycleables. They turn it into electricity or as Jason described... steam for a local factory. Yet the "Green politicians" go on claiming extraordinarily high compliance with recycling... and the masses continue to believe that their trash matters.

Tags
illegal dumping, S/Y Cowabunga, S/Y Onghiara, shame