Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 19:31   #1

Cool Dream

So, here's my first post. I love the water. Owned a small powerboat sometime ago. served in the Navy back in the "70's" and nwo contemplaying my first sailboat purchase.
I've been reading several books, watching sailing techniques, plan to take a sailing course in Philadelphia at a certified school and I am 99.9% sure of my future purchase.
A 26ft. McGreggor. I like that its trailerable as well ballast and safety features. I plan to keep at a marina along the Delaware river near my home, (about 30 miles north of Philadelphia).
I have dreams and goals. First, sailing along the river to hon my skills. 2nd, eventually a trip to Cape May and 3rd, hopefully more as I progress in confidence.
We'll, what do you think of my choice so far;
And, here are my concerns: places to dock on journeys, who to talk to to learn about the local sailing communities and preparing for a costal trip in the future.
My wife, before our marriage, had been on my power boat a few times, even on a trip when we lost power. She kept a cooler head than me. Glad she was there.
Now married and she is supportive of htis dream. About 3 yrs. 'till retirement but the boat goal is for spring of 2013.
Sorry for such a long post but tks. for helping.
Cooltech (Vince)
cooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 19:54   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Dream

Welcome aboard. That's a good dream that I can't fault.

You have the number one advantage available, the support of your wife.

Be sure to learn about the particular requirements for safely sailing the McGregor. I've met some owners that love that model.

Check out the active captain website. Lot's of good info there for most areas. And it can foster the dream by looking at your chosen cruising ground, reading the posts of sailors who were often just anchored in a spot your dreaming about. And provide valuable information for your own experience there.
Old 24-08-2012, 19:54   #3

Your plan is mostly viable. Taking lessons is most sensible.

I would suggest the you broaden your horizons with respect to a boat purchase. There are many trailerable boats on that might meet your needs as well. You might try to meet some owners of trailerable boats in your neck of the woods.

If you can rent/charter some boats you might be some sense of the various layouts that might meet your needs.

Finding transient moorage is usually not an issue. Most cruising guides will point you in the right direction. Half the fun is in the planning.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 20:02   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

We met a couple on a McGreggor at Normans Cay last year. They Summer in New Mexico and cruise the Bahamas in the Winter. They have been all over the Bahamas in that McGreggor. They leave the boat somewhere in Florida while they are in New Mexico.

You can anchor a McGreggor almost on the beach. That gives you a lot of options than us 6-1/2 foot draft folks don't have.

Just do it!

John
Old 24-08-2012, 20:02   #5

Tks. folks. I have looked into Hunters, and Catalina's. The draft is what keeps taking me back to the McGreggor. But I will keep my options open. I want this to be an excellent and blessed endevor!
Would love to hear from more
cooltech
cooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 20:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Great dream! And entirely doable. We've met many folks enjoying McGregor 26's at coastal locations -- they can usually pull right up next to the beach anchoring off -- making me jealous.

HOWEVER ... if you plan to go farther ... please consider a bit more substantially built boat. We've been 11,000 miles from Annapolis to Cartagena, Columbia and we've seen numerous McGregor's along the coast of the US, but never outside - even in the Bahamas. Now admittedly our experience in the Bahamas/Exumas is limited to one season.

Make sure your choice of boat meets the needs of your future cruising dreams, that's all I'm sayin' .....

And ENJOY!!! It's a wonderful lifestyle!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 20:21   #7

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltech View Post
Tks. folks. I have looked into Hunters, and Catalina's. The draft is what keeps taking me back to the McGreggor. But I will keep my options open. I want this to be an excellent and blessed endevor!
Would love to hear from more
cooltech
Blessed Endeavor sounds like a good name for your future boat too!
Old 25-08-2012, 05:11   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Sounds like a great plan. Consider cruising the Chesapeake Bay to get your feet wet. You'll be right there, just pop through the C&D canal...considered one of the best cruising grounds in the world with lots of rivers and creeks to explore and very protected, especially the northern half. A good cruising guidebook (hint hint) would make good reading in preparation and good reference underway...many websites can be very helpful too. You don't need to worry too much about finding places to "stay" with so many marinas and anchorages to choose from. And as far as the MacGregor, good friends of ours cruised the Bahamas each year in their 26 (?) and loved it. Happy sailing!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote