Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2012, 16:38   #1

PFD CO2 Cartridges on Plane

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can take PFD's with Co2 cartridges on planes. Flying Lufthansa, Air Croatia and Air Canada. Spoke to Lufthansa and the agent referred us to the web site which is unclear. Air Canada is even more confusing. Thanks for your help! Patience
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 16:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: PFD CO2 Cartridges on Plane

PFD's with cartridges can be sent as baggage in airplanes with the CO2 cannisters. Don't remember whether it's required to detach the CO2 cartridge but would definitely do that. The problem is not all the baggage agents, TSA, etc are aware of it so would be a good idea to take copy of regulations with you.

Believe a search of this site will turn up the regulations as it's been discussed before.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:37   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Hi all. Does anyone know if you can take PFD's with Co2 cartridges on planes. [snip] Spoke to Lufthansa and the agent referred us to the web site which is unclear. Thanks for your help! Patience
Patience
Lufthansa says that you can carry "Two small cylinders containing carbon dioxide [snip] per person, fitted into a self-inflating life jacket plus up to two spare cartridges" in either checked or cabin baggage, but you need their "approval". ( Source: www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/90/media_832590.pdf ) This wording seems clear enough and lets you do what you want..

I take from similar experience with other carriers that the "approval" means that they need you to let them know that you are carrying something that is exempt from the overall ban on "Dangerous Goods", lest they find your "dangerous goods" in the Xray without realizing that there is an exception to your advantage.. I never had any problem carrying cartidges in my checked lugage when I did a) tape to the cartidges both a copy of the airline´s own rule (like the pdf from Lufthansa) b) write on the cartridges "30cm3 Co2 cartrdge, can be carried as per attached rule" and c) tell the check-in person what I was doing ann based on what rule..

Cheers
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:43   #4

Quote:
. Does anyone know if you can take PFD's with Co2 cartridges on planes. Flying [snip] Air Croatia[snip] Thanks for your help! Patience
Air Croatia´s rule says you are fine too. Source: http://www.croatiaairlines.com/Resou...Id=831&rType=2

They say the same as Lufthansa except that they specify max net weight 60g and max net volume 120ml per cylinder, which should be fine if you have the same cartridges I have.

Cheers
Old 25-08-2012, 18:04   #5

Quote:
Hi all. Does anyone know if you can take PFD's with Co2 cartridges on planes. Flying [snip] Air Canada. [snip] Air Canada is even more confusing. Thanks for your help! Patience
The bad news is that Air Canada forgot to write the exception in their web page on "Restricted and prohibited items" (see http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...dangerous.html and aircanada.com - Restricted and prohibited items ) There they say that pressurized carbon dioxide cylinders are prohibited, and it does not mention an exception for lifejackets, only for mechanical limbs.

The good news is that their page on "Sports Equipment" ( aircanada.com - Sports Equipment - Registration and handling fees ) says very clearly that "One self-inflating life jacket per person is accepted in both carry-on and checked baggage provided it is fitted with a maximum of two small cylinders of carbon dioxide [snip] , and it is accompanied by no more than two spare cylinders."

I believe that you should be fine if you tell the check-in person what you are carrying (not ask if you can carry it!) in your *checked in* luggage, show the rule and put the same in writing around the cartridge (for the luggage X-ray operator).. I do not suggest carry-on because my experience was not that good when I tried it. Cheers
Old 25-08-2012, 18:14   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I never do carry on with them , but I always check them in, I never tell anyone, ( the beg for forgiveness principle). Never been stopped yet

Dave
Old 25-08-2012, 20:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I never do carry on with them , but I always check them in, I never tell anyone, ( the beg for forgiveness principle). Never been stopped yet

Dave
I have been called back when I forgot to declare. Fortunately it was in Comox, a small airport.

I pack the vest and re-charge kit in checked luggage and always declare. I usually fly WestJet in Canada and carry a copy of the web page from their site. Air Canada has let me use checked luggage as well.

I have no problems in Victoria. Calgary and Vancouver have presented problems, but in the end I fly with it in checked baggage. Last time the WestJet agent in Vancouver put an approved seal on the plastic bag for my Mustang. I am going to leave it on.

I carry a rigging knife on the pfd, no way would I try carry on.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 07:41   #8

Thanks to all who have responded. We will pack them separately and put a copy of the regs on top just in case. Patience
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 08:24   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Agree with all.

After carrying on my Mustang PFD about 6 times with no problem the next 2 times I was stopped at security and had to check the bag. I don’t try to carry on anymore. The smaller airports in the Caribbean were the problem. They don’t really go by regs. It’s just whatever they feel like that day. And I did have the TSA regs with me. But like they say….. You’re not in Kansas anymore!
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 08:28   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
It's worth pointing out the the TSA regs require the permission of the airline hence putting a copy of the regs into the case is rather useless.
Old 26-08-2012, 08:33   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I would remove the cartridges from the PFD - that way if it's confiscated your loss is minimized $
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd