Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 13:35   #31

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser
Re: Does Customs Check Engines When Coming Into USA Waters?

A friend of mine equipped his new 40foot catamaran with two Yanmar Diesel outboards, that was in 1999. He crossed the Atlantic to the Caribbean and Florida. As far as I know no problem to cruise US waters in 2000. The cat flew Gibraltar flag.

But when leaving for the Pacific he changed the cat to two inboard Diesel as he was absolutely unhappy with the Diesel outboards. You my imagine that hes problems with the Diesel Outboards were important that he changed the propulsion system completely: two new saildrives, two new Yanmars 2GM20.

Outboards may be cheap propulsion system but with many cons if you use your catamaran as a liveaboard sailor who likes to move.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 20:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Well, there ya go. That happens.

Are you thinking long-distance motoring? If not, electric?

-Chris

Many, many long distance voyages. Electric too limited methinks, already looked into it.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 00:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
A friend of mine equipped his new 40foot catamaran with two Yanmar Diesel outboards, that was in 1999. He crossed the Atlantic to the Caribbean and Florida. As far as I know no problem to cruise US waters in 2000. The cat flew Gibraltar flag.

But when leaving for the Pacific he changed the cat to two inboard Diesel as he was absolutely unhappy with the Diesel outboards. You my imagine that hes problems with the Diesel Outboards were important that he changed the propulsion system completely: two new saildrives, two new Yanmars 2GM20.

Outboards may be cheap propulsion system but with many cons if you use your catamaran as a liveaboard sailor who likes to move.
Outboard vs inboard is more about the design of the boat. If he just bolted a couple outboards (regardless of fuel source) onto the back of a boat designed for inboards, I could definitely see a problem.

We spent 10yrs with an outboard and now have twin inboards on the new boat...we miss the outboard for a variety of reasons. The ones that have problems seem to be the ones who try to cobble an outboard onto the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:54   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Many, many long distance voyages. Electric too limited methinks, already looked into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Four stroke outboards are not the end of the world, and being lighter is not a bad thing either.

Hmmm...

Inboard diesel, out. Electric outboard, out. Changing boats, out. Diesel outboard, questionable so far, and more likely a lot of work at least and maybe skirting the legal system...

Bazillions of boats run on gasoline. Only a very few of those (by percentages) ever suffer safety-related catastrophes. And safety issues are mostly within the operator's direct control.

A diesel outboard might get you better fuel economy... compared to a gasoline outboard of similar weight. OTOH, a gasoline outboard of similar power might weigh enough less to make that almost a wash.

Think I'd just get out on the water sooner rather than later...

-Chris
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here is the latest offering by yanmar a small turbo twin diesel outboard .
NEANDER Outboard Engine : Neander Shark
Came on the market within the last 6 months . However I was unable to find any info as to tier compliance .
Old 12-10-2016, 19:56   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is the latest offering by yanmar a small turbo twin diesel outboard .
NEANDER Outboard Engine : Neander Shark
Came on the market within the last 6 months . However I was unable to find any info as to tier compliance .
Seems a bit heavy at 175 kg (385 lbs) dry for 50 horsepower.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 22:16   #37

I've opted for just diesel on my harry. Better than messing with dozens of gasoline jugs like I smelled on another guy's proa. Imported a yanmar D27 from Baltic Machinery. https://www.balticmachinery.com/products Yeah it's heavy but should be fine for the big 25ft tender. I wouldn't worry about customs.

Also getting a diesel Wallas oven/stove/heater combo for the saloon. "Unlike propane systems, Wallas ovens draw combustion air from the cabin and exhaust overboard. This process dries the cabin interior, while eliminating the need for hazardous heavier-than-air gaseous fuels". Yeah pricey but oh well, will likely enjoy. https://www.scanmarineusa.com/products/ovens
hp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:25   #38

Quote:
The boat is a harryproa. Simply too small, and with no inboard-friendly hull shapes anyway--both hulls tapered to sharp edges fore and aft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Is there any huge overwhelming reason to not just change boats?

Not a recommendation, just a contrarian idea: a different approach to solving a propulsion problem...

-Chris
Quote:
Yes--I've become enamored. Can't fall in love with a mere material thing like a boat, but you know...so close!
I know exactly what you mean! No other will do. Which model of harryproa are you building?
Old 16-10-2016, 17:07   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I just received an email from klaxon diesel and they told me I could purchase and have one of their outboards legally shipped to me in the USA . For my own private use legally . I just can't import them for resale. They even sent a PDF of prices. Comparable to any other 4 stroke engine.
Old 16-10-2016, 19:32   #40

Yeah I've looked at the Klaxon diesels but have doubts. Chinese motors aren't exactly renowned for their reliability. Would be nice to hear from someone that uses them.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-10-2016, 23:05   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp60 View Post
Yeah I've looked at the Klaxon diesels but have doubts. Chinese motors aren't exactly renowned for their reliability.
Perhaps junk from Harbor Freight, but major players like SDEC might not deserve the stereotype. Have you heard negative comments about Shainghai Diesel?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 01:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well I just received an email from klaxon diesel and they told me I could purchase and have one of their outboards legally shipped to me in the USA . For my own private use legally . I just can't import them for resale. They even sent a PDF of prices. Comparable to any other 4 stroke engine.
I would run that by the US Customs and EPA folks (and get a written answer from both).

I'm not buying their answer. Hopefully, it's an honest mistake and not that they figure it's your problem once they make the sale. It makes no sense for that to be a legitimate option as it completely undermines the reason for the rule.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 03:38   #43

Quote:
I imported a yanmar D27 from Baltic Machinery. https://www.balticmachinery.com/products Yeah it's heavy but should be fine for the big 25ft tender.

You were able to import a Yanmar diesel into the USA from Europe?

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about customs.

Why not?

Quote:
Which model of harryproa are you building?

Cruiser 60 cut down to 40 feet. Fiberglass and carbon fiber construction. Schooner rig, unstayed masts, wishbone booms. And when Rob finally finishes testing with his telescoping mast prototype I'll probably have this option, too.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:12   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I would run that by the US Customs and EPA folks (and get a written answer from both).

I'm not buying their answer. Hopefully, it's an honest mistake and not that they figure it's your problem once they make the sale. It makes no sense for that to be a legitimate option as it completely undermines the reason for the rule.
I will check with customs and the local EPA office prior to placing an order.
I'm hoping that it is correct and I can import one for personal use. The 6 HP would work great on my boat .
Old 17-10-2016, 06:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Perhaps junk from Harbor Freight, but major players like SDEC might not deserve the stereotype. Have you heard negative comments about Shainghai Diesel?
Not specifically. But there are alot of Chinese cars down here in Peru. And other products. They're alright for the first year then start falling apart. Tranny, motors, everything. The quality is not there. If you are looking for quality, Japanese is the way go. ie Toyota. Yanmar.

But hey its worth a shot as the prices are good. Was thinking buying two might be the ticket, then you have a spare for parts.

Tags
customs, engine, water