Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 11:21   #226
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
The essential dilemma is that the best stainless steel grades are also the weakest. Carbon content is what makes steel stronger, but higher carbon steels rust.

Your rudder probably failed from plain old metal fatigue causing hairline fractures. Rust then takes hold and expands, causing further damage. There are solutions which can be brushed on to reveal microscopic cracking. And x-rays are frequently used to evaluate critical welds.

At the end of the day, virtually every material has a finite number of flex cycles after which they start to fatigue. And ultimately they will fail. It isn't a design flaw, it's just the way materials age. A bit like the knees of a 50 year old mogul skier.........

Thank you -- you've solved a mystery for me and expanded my knowledge!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 11:22   #227
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yeah that got me too.. and the galley and that flip up table.. the boat has some great and not so great points... while its a job to cut out and replace deck... the other aspects of the boat are pretty good. For a liveaboard its not to bad. My rejection had to do with storage of scuba tanks.. silly I know..but two avid divers aboard... we are looking at trawlers.. <--oh that hurt to type..

It's not silly at all. I don't scuba so it never crossed my mind but I know a number of people for whom it would be an issue.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:24   #228
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
As true as that might be... when discussing boats would only be allowed in a positive way, we can put CF to rest. When you become a member here and join the discussions about boats, anchors etc., you have to be able to take critical remarks about your boat/anchor. There is always somebody owning the boat that is being discussed.

The question then becomes in which context others "slag" your boat... seriously or just to amuse themselves. I for one would not be willing to make those determinations. There is always ground for making these statements, no matter how they are made. At least, that is how I read it.

I will slag any design incl. what I own. Because they all have their flaws. That is why we all keep making improvements to our boats.

What should not happen imho is people slagging boats without having a clue about those boats, or worse. Not all who read it see through that.

cheers,
Nick.
I just take the best and leave the rest.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:30   #229
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
What should not happen imho is people slagging boats without having a clue about those boats, or worse. Not all who read it see through that.

cheers,
Nick.
Agreed. Which is why I asked the OP what model they were asking about.

I got a PM once saying I defend all things Hunter (funny because a few years ago when I was in the anti-Hunter camp no one ever questioned that). I don't feel I defend all things Hunter, other than saying that just because it is a Hunter it shouldn't be trashed just because it is a Hunter.

All I can really talk about is a Hunter 410 (which was in fact marketed as a bluewater boat). There are people here on CF who had have a Hunter, sailed it hard and long, and when the time came got another Hunter. You would think those peoples opinions on Hunters were a little more worthwhile than general naysayers would will always just assume unter owners must be some type of idiot.

I had to get past a lot of internet "learning" in order to put myself into the position of buying and being able to enjoy my Hunter 410.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:37   #230
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Agreed. Which is why I asked the OP what model they were asking about.

I got a PM once saying I defend all things Hunter (funny because a few years ago when I was in the anti-Hunter camp no one ever questioned that). I don't feel I defend all things Hunter, other than saying that just because it is a Hunter it shouldn't be trashed just because it is a Hunter.

All I can really talk about is a Hunter 410 (which was in fact marketed as a bluewater boat). There are people here on CF who had have a Hunter, sailed it hard and long, and when the time came got another Hunter. You would think those peoples opinions on Hunters were a little more worthwhile than general naysayers would will always just assume unter owners must be some type of idiot.

I had to get past a lot of internet "learning" in order to put myself into the position of buying and being able to enjoy my Hunter 410.
Well, I understand that -- and as a Hunter owner, I appreciate that -- but I have to say that the naysayers helped me make an intelligent decision. That may be because I don't have as much experience as many here, but my friend who pointed out the swept-back spreaders was able to tell me *exactly* why he didn't like them.

Then *I* was able to make an intelligent judgment about whether or not it would be an issue *for me.*

It's just as another person just said -- a Cherabini was out for him/her because of no space for scuba tanks. One person's issue is another person's asset, but you have to be aware of of a fact in order to evaluate it.

When I see someone say "What would you rather be on" and then describes some very horiffic and specific condition -- I know I'm not going to get useful criticism from that ... so I just sail on to the next post.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:45   #231
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames
but my friend who pointed out the swept-back spreaders was able to tell me *exactly* why he didn't like them.

Then *I* was able to make an intelligent judgment about whether or not it would be an issue *for me.*
But are you sure the advice from your friend was not only correct but also complete? You got me wondering what he told you now

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 11:50   #232

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Slag my boat all you want. I'm out cruising. What are you doing?
Old 18-12-2011, 12:28   #233
cruiser

Quote:
But are you sure the advice from your friend was not only correct but also complete? You got me wondering what he told you now

cheers,
Nick.

If I listed this person's credentials you'd be dazzled (but you'd also be able to figure out who he is).

He, personally, does not like boats with swept-back spreaders. I, personally, after considering his comments, do not.

He's entitled to his opinion and I appreciated him sharing it with me. I learned from the comment and then made up my own mind.
Old 18-12-2011, 12:36   #234

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
OK. The actual rust was several inches below where the shaft went into the rudder, and the rust was *inside* the shaft. The outside of the shaft looked fine. So it still doesn't quite make sense to me.

I have been *told* that lifelines can rust from the inside out. But the source for that statement is questionable.
One source for the rusting lifelines comes from using flexible galvanised wire, When it is made the initial lay was hemp or its deratives around which the wire was woven. Like starting with a piece of string.
This organic material absorbs the salt or if you are smart the oil.

Cheers all and MERRY XMAS....
Old 18-12-2011, 12:38   #235
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
One source for the rusting lifelines comes from using flexible galvanised wire, When it is made the initial lay was hemp or its deratives around which the wire was woven. Like starting with a piece of string.
This organic material absorbs the salt or if you are smart the oil.

Cheers all and MERRY XMAS....

I should be OILING my lifelines -- and all that standing rigging????
Old 18-12-2011, 12:42   #236

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I should be OILING my lifelines -- and all that standing rigging????
It's a galvanised wire thing. Probably more practical to replace it. Technically all wire should be replaced however we all seem reluctant to do so when it looks so good HOWEVER as correctly pointed out previously all things have a cyclic fatigue limit, rigging wire very much included.
Old 18-12-2011, 12:44   #237
CLOD

Boat: none

I edited and deleted it all out, I just don't see any point anymore.
Old 18-12-2011, 13:18   #238
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:

cheers,
Nick.
Well, we can at least agree on that. I'm amazed at the amount of disinformation I hear about Hunters, even on this thread. No place to store SCUBA tanks? Really? On the same thread where half the people are slagging Hunters because of how roomy they are?

Fact: I currently have four tanks aboard my Hunter, and could easily store twice as many in the same locker. None of the three other brands of boat I owned previously, back in the days when I was still an active SCUBA instructor, could accommodate tanks as well.

More than a year ago we had a gathering of CF moderators in SF bay, a group who came in literally from all over the world. I took them all out for a sail. Many of these folks had never been aboard a Hunter, and were amazed not only at how nice the boat was, but at how well she sails. At one point, when we were reaching along at 9+ knots, I counseled one of the mods to lighten up on the wheel, and he was amazed that he could control the boat at that speed with two fingers. The consensus of the day was that Hunters had been getting bum rap on internet forums. Including this one.

I honestly think that a lot of the Hunter-bashing has to do with macho posturing, and I've written about this before. My boat is the exact opposite of a man cave, and it's basically been designed around a capacious galley that women absolutely love.

Gotta be something wrong with that. Right? So lets all start pounding our chests and bark a bit about how these boats will fall apart in the middle of the ocean.
Old 18-12-2011, 13:32   #239

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

The boat he was talking about is the 33 cherib a old design like my 37c hunter by the same designer .
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 13:52   #240
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
It's a galvanised wire thing. Probably more practical to replace it. Technically all wire should be replaced however we all seem reluctant to do so when it looks so good HOWEVER as correctly pointed out previously all things have a cyclic fatigue limit, rigging wire very much included.
Phew! I thought he was finally gonna force me up that mast! NO WAY!

I don't have any galvanized wire on the boat. I do have hot-dipped galvanized chain on my anchor, but so far it shows no sign of rust.

Nothing is permanent on a boat, and waiting too long to fix what needs to be fixed can be disastrous. Just ask my rudder.

Tags
liveaboard