Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:14   #46

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail_the_stars View Post
Hi everyone; Is it bad luck to rename a boat? Or is it just a myth? While I am looking for a serious answer humorous ones would be greatly appreciated as well.

PAUL
well, I realy dont know. here is my story. we bought a brand new yacht in England back in 1988...we named her GOLDEN REALITY after a week, upon arriving in Spain the Lifting Keel came loose, and a new one had to be brought in from the factory... that week we called her...................BROKEN REALITY !!!
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44   #47

Boat: In the market
The PO of my first boat named it for what he thought was the French word for the emotional feeling of breathlessness. Although the name sounded a little too "Gucci" for my tastes, I have to admit that every time I looked at my new boat it was breath-taking. So I kept the name.

After I had sold the boat I learned that the word he chose, "Essouffle'" meant Apnea, as in not breathing, instead of being emotionally overcome.

Should have verified the meaning.

Robert
Old 08-09-2007, 16:02   #48
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Now, I'm a pretty prgmatic guy and don't hold with all the "spiritual" stuff but I've got a strange one. The drain in our head basin gradually starts backing up after a couple of weeks in the marina. I've pulled it apart on several occasions and found absolutley nothing wrong, I've re-routed it, I've plunged it, stuck chemicals down it, nothing seesm to fix it. Take the boat out sailing, even for a couple of hours and the drain works perfectly for another couple of weeks. Is Nightcap trying to tell me something?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 18:12   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Take the boat out sailing, even for a couple of hours and the drain works perfectly for another couple of weeks.
Let me see you have the perect solution to a nasty drain problem. Sail the boat more! There could be worse ideas. Go with this solution. At the very worst you'll enjoy life better plus the drain works better.

Drains work by gravity or it's plugged. You have to go with the basics. The opening in the through hull is the problem is my best guess since you didn't post any pictures, drawings, xrays, or certifications. Even upside down in the southern hemisphere it's still the same laws of hydrodynamics even if they do run backwards.

Some might say you failed in the boat renaming ceremony but I'm not a believer. It's plugged! Avoid stong chemicals as this isn't PVC household plumbing that can stand all the agressive treatment. The penalty could be far worse. Connect a shore water hose to the drain line and flush the heck out of it. I've done that many times - it works.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 18:23   #50
cruiser

Man, I've tried everything imaginable, including using the dinghy pump to blow through it. Had many years experience as engineer aboard boats, have done drainage & reticulation in sub zero places, even had my plumber brother in law in on the act. I'm totally out of ideas but as you said, I have the perfect fix and we have actually been sailing on many occasions just to clear it. I just don't like the whole "unexplained" thing about it.
Old 09-09-2007, 17:48   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pete, the answer is always "There's a blockage" and whether that is a critter nest or debris or a collapsed hose or failed gate valve....If you explore from "here" to "there" at some point in between you will find the blockage.

Professional plumbers do this now with waterproof minicams or fiber-optic leads. the rest of us settle for a snake or taking it apart one piece at a time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07   #52

Some kind of weird air lock ?
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:23   #53
cruiser

I think it's some kind of "time" lock. Believe me, at various times when it has blocked I've pulled every section of the drain to pieces, including going over the side to check the skin fitting and found nothing. I tend to think airlock but have rerouted the drain so it is all down hill with no risers. Wierd. Anyway, I tend to think Nightcap does have a soul, makes it easier to explain my bafflement.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Now, I'm a pretty prgmatic guy and don't hold with all the "spiritual" stuff but I've got a strange one. The drain in our head basin gradually starts backing up after a couple of weeks in the marina. I've pulled it apart on several occasions and found absolutley nothing wrong, I've re-routed it, I've plunged it, stuck chemicals down it, nothing seesm to fix it. Take the boat out sailing, even for a couple of hours and the drain works perfectly for another couple of weeks. Is Nightcap trying to tell me something?
Thats easy to work out Pete.

Where you berth her there is an octopus/squid,that has fallen in love with the thru-hull or what comes out of it.Bet ya never thought of that!!!.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49   #55

I like to believe that mine does. If you want a fun way to appease the sail gods you might like John Vigor's ritual. It's a fun way to take away any doubts.
48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 18:16   #56

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
That one I like the most.

Lots of libation is fine but the ceremony must not be too long.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 18:29   #57
Kai Nui

OK, here's one to ponder. About to launch the tri (eventually). As far as I know, she was never named, but 20 years old when I bought her. So, will this be her first name? Of course she will have a proper christening, but to take a boat with no known name and name her? What will the sea gods think of that one?
And Pete, far better she is letting to little water out, than too much in. We have found the pressure garden hose to be the most effective drain clearer.
Old 10-09-2007, 22:49   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The name goes into the book of ships kept by Neptune. If she has never been in the ocean she is not in the book and renaming is not required. If she was in the ocean unnamed she would be in the rolls of unnamed ships. Neptune really likes to know the names of ships in his realm. If she ever floated I'd do the ceremony just to be safe...

Hey, honest. I don't make this sh*t up. I just repeat it ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28   #59

Boat: C&C 27
As for having a soul, only a Vincent has a soul everything else simply has a personality. The old C&C is on name number five that I know of. When I bought the boat there was a Mezuza on the companionway. The previous owner had kept it there out of respect for the previous owner and althought I'm not Jewish I have kept it on board along with some new things to remind me of my own faith. It is just a part of the old girl and she wouldn't be the same without it. Changing the name of a boat is OK as long as it is done with fair respect for the boat, the traditions and the sea.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kai Nui-
"but to take a boat with no known name and name her? What will the sea gods think of that one?"

That's why a pagan would address both the bride and Neptune, raise these concerns up front, explain what and why you were going to do, including giving the boat a name, pledging to care for her, and supplicating forgivance for your ignorance about any past name. The "Rights of the Supplicant" are honored in most of the old ways.

Of course if you're following one of those newfangled new religions, you just pay a priest to do the business and waste a bottle of champers on the bow. Paying money instead of respects.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote