Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 04:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: details of long travel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman View Post
You may think that you need that kind of money buto thers may be able to do it quite cheaply. I crewed to New Zealand, 300.00 out of pocket.
I crewed from Brisbane to Fiji, free.
Fiji, Tahiti, Hawaii and back to Oregon, free.
My own boat, Coos Bay to Manzanillo, 600.00 INCLUSIVE.
My next trip on my latest boat, maybe 300.00, Coos Bay to Santa Cruz, Ca.
Why people think every cruiser needs 1200.00 a month at sea is beyond me.

YMMV and to each their own, just keep in mind not all of us need to throw money at life to make it fun.
i totally agree,you can travel reasonably cheaply,BUT this requires luck and experince.

invariably once you have been through the "learning curve",and have the knowledge to deal with all aspects of boat repair,maintanance,and are generally travel savvy you stop making expensive novice mistakes.

it is the learning curve that that costs big time!

a blown out sail,rigging failure,or engine problems all can envolve costly repairs,prematurely ending an under funded cruise,as can expectations vs reality of having an ill prepared vessel.

you may say this,
"YMMV and to each their own, just keep in mind not all of us need to throw money at life to make it fun.[/QUOTE]"

but this is after,you have spent considerable time,and sea miles at other peoples expense,as crew,going through that "learning curve"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 09:00   #17

Futuresailor, I am not one to ask about modern electronics, since most of my cruising was done with sextant, paper charts and a reliable depth sounder. I must admit that I pretty much retired my sextant when hand held GPSs came down in price. Your budget of 30K for a prepared boat will not leave much for electronics. There are people on this forum who have spent close to 30K just on their electronics. If that makes people feel safe, then that is OK. In this day and age everyone likes the ease of electronic navigation, and that is fine, but you need to know what to do when the batteries run dead. The more you depend on electronics, the more stressful and dangerous it becomes when the electrons fail. You will get tons of advice on electronics, much of it from people who have never crossed an ocean, or from folks who dont understand the limited budgets that many of us have. Get the small boat and sail the hell out of it, and worry about electronics later. Also, the more different boats that you can volunteer to crew on, the better your later choices will be. Best of luck to you. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 12:00   #18

thank you all for your responses. i am confident the 30k i have budgeted toward the boat will do just fine. if not then i guess we will have to bump it up to 40k and only have 60k for expenses. i am a tech hence im good at finding good deals haha. i think after we have been in the water for a bit and get the sailing down in the great lakes i will know what electronics i would feel more comfortable having. like you said jordan.

also, i was looking on yacht world going back and forth on atoms list of boats. i like the bayfields alot. seems like you get alot for the money. it worries me how high the ballast is on them though so who knows what ill like in 4 years.
futuresailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:11   #19

Boat: Toy boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresailer View Post
thank you all for your responses. i am confident the 30k i have budgeted toward the boat will do just fine. if not then i guess we will have to bump it up to 40k and only have 60k for expenses. i am a tech hence im good at finding good deals haha. i think after we have been in the water for a bit and get the sailing down in the great lakes i will know what electronics i would feel more comfortable having. like you said jordan.

also, i was looking on yacht world going back and forth on atoms list of boats. i like the bayfields alot. seems like you get alot for the money. it worries me how high the ballast is on them though so who knows what ill like in 4 years.
I bought very low when I got my first boat and sold it for a hefty profit. I set that money aside and waited for the next "right" boat. I crewed in the mean time and assembled used electronics as they popped up on craigslist or here. When I bought the Suhail...It had been at the dock for 6 years, bagged up and stored properly but still in need of work. When I met the owner at a bar, he was drunk off his ass and ready to move on. He threw out a number and I said "deal". I ran home, grabbed cash and met him back at the bar. We walked down to the boat and did the paperwork right then. I let him spend the night on the boat and helped him move out in the morning. He was cursing up a storm and really regretted the sale. Tough luck pal, shouldn't drink and sell boats. Within three hours, I had offers of triple what I gave him.
Nope. Keeper, thank you.
What I got was 36 feet of factory built/owner finished Cutter. The Mitsubishi 2.0 diesel had 260 hours on it. Every system on the boat was dated but functional. Only the Monitor windvane was newish having been installed in 2008. The interior finish and layout has the production 49 footer next to me slobbering. His boat was 450k.

I was safely sailing offshore day trips within a week and will be moving her to my place in Manzanillo this coming April.
I paid $1800.00 and a 1/4 pound of weed.
The boat is out there, patience, homework and stocking up on needed electronics/safety gear is key. Used is good.
And drunk people help.
I had a budget of 40k, needless to say, I have some money left over.
I will never get those who blow my year's cruising budget on 2014 gear when they already have 2010's latest.
A certain poster here has 500k plus in his boat and has sailed 277 NM a year...or what I do on a weekend shakedown cruise.
I don't get it.
Good luck, homework, patience, drunk sailors who are done and hanging out on the docks are key.
Or slaving for years works too, albeit poorly.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 10:24   #20

Thats sweet haha i hope i can find a deal like that! I will have to keep my eyes open.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
futuresailer is offline   Reply With Quote