Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26   #1

Depressing Day for New Sailor

Good morning all. Let me preface this message by telling you a little about myself. Just learned how to sail last year on a Catalina 22. I've taken out a Hunter 18 quite a few times and have been singlehanding it through a narrow channel (without motor) out into Pensacola Bay without difficulty. Well, yesterday I decided to take out the Catalina 22 for the first time in the year since I learned...also without anyone on board who knew how to sail. What a comedy of errors. Here's what I did wrong:

1. Forgot to vent the fuel tank - engine stalled just outside the channel
2. Pinched the fuel line after realizing I didn't open the vent to the fuel tank - stalled again about 5 minutes later while raising the sails
3. Couldn't get enough tension on mainsail. This Cat 22 was different than the one I learned on and didn't have a vang, just a Cunningham that was completely loose which caused the boom to be sitting really high. Found that and adjusted it with little help.
4. Got seasick

All this has me feeling rather depressed. I've been reading these forums religiously lately as I would love to retire aboard a sailboat one day. I know I'll never make these mistakes again and that it's all part of the learning process, but it really shook my confidence. Anyone else get a not-so-graceful start to their life as a sailor?
NavyPT is offline   Reply With Quote