Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 18:28   #646

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Not on some of the boats I have read about in this thread! There's life and then there's living.
Or as Helen Keller said:

Quote:
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
We all get to chose how we live, but not the consequences.
Old 03-08-2010, 19:26   #647

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandSailor View Post
Indy, as always, the voice of reason. And to all of my fellows on this thread we really need to keep to the conversation and the numbers about Low Cost Cruising. I am searching high and low to spend what is for me a huge sum of money for the best compromise in a boat that I can find. Once I've left my slip for open water I will be tremendously grateful to everyone who has disclosed their true costs to me through this "fraternity" on the internet. It is not news to any of you that few of us will have the opportunity in life to do just as we please. I, for one, believe that Indy's showing the numbers for a $6,000 year is what I need to know in order to make plans that will work.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

OS
I have been reading Latitiude 38 for a number of years and I have seen some exceptionally good deals on boat that are well suited for cruising. It is always a compromise but the right boat at the right price is out there waiting.
PK
Old 03-08-2010, 20:37   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds780 View Post
I have been reading Latitiude 38 for a number of years and I have seen some exceptionally good deals on boat that are well suited for cruising. It is always a compromise but the right boat at the right price is out there waiting.
PK
I just bought a Pearson Triton for $1,000.00 very well outfitted. Half way through a restoration. Very solid boat. It is now or will be in a few more months my home. It cost me a little bit to get it home, but after I sell the rebuilt engine and accessories I should be back to even. "Where there is a will there is a way". Joining you down in the Virgin Islands and beyond.

Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 21:04   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Dan View Post
I just bought a Pearson Triton for $1,000.00 very well outfitted. Half way through a restoration. Very solid boat. It is now or will be in a few more months my home. It cost me a little bit to get it home, but after I sell the rebuilt engine and accessories I should be back to even. "Where there is a will there is a way". Joining you down in the Virgin Islands and beyond.

Dan
I'm a bit confused. When you say its "well outfitted" and you intend to sell the "rebuilt engine and accessories", do you mean you intend to go engine-less and you have excess accessories that you would rather sell than take with you? You also say the boat is half way through a restoration. How much more will you have to put into it before its ready to go? I'm having a hard time picturing what you've got and where you are going with it. I've always felt if I was starting from scratch, I could pick up a good boat, pretty much ready to go, for under $20K.
Old 03-08-2010, 21:13   #650

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Dan
That looks like a very solid little boat to do some serious $500/month type sailing. When you get rid of the Atomic-4 be sure to ballast the boat for the missing weight. And then hang a small outboard on the back for your getting in and out of port.
Old 03-08-2010, 22:12   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
That looks like a very solid little boat to do some serious $500/month type sailing. When you get rid of the Atomic-4 be sure to ballast the boat for the missing weight. And then hang a small outboard on the back for your getting in and out of port.
I'll answer both questions from the last two here.

The boat came with all new standing rigging, roller furler jib, All heavy brass hardware. The deck has been repaired where needed. The boat itself has been stored indoors and is in very good shape. Previous owners took very good care of it. It has good sails and good running rigging. I plan on using it for the "Great Loop" to get to know it. Then replace what needs replacing as far as running goes. I rebuild airplanes for a living so finishing the sanding, faring out, and painting is not even a challenge for me. The mast beam is new laminated oak as well as the supports. New holding tanks came with it also. Things like a new antenna, wind vane, and other interior parts are all new. Comes with Boom vang, Auto tiller, Radio. Any thing associated with the engine goes. Replacing with an electric drive coupled to the existing prop. gives me equivalent 10 to 12 hp plenty to push this boat around. Weight is compensated with 8, 6 volt batteries. motor weighs 22#. batteries weight 600? occupies less area as engine. prop turning while sailing recharges the batteries. I am using all LED lighting cost of less than $200 if not $100.00. Electric motor complete will cost me around $1,100.00 batteries about the same if I go new. Some of the new brass that came with the boat will also be sold as well as the brass window frames. It just defers the cost of new Lexan windows. I just cannot see spending more than $5,000.00 to finish it up. And that is on the high side. No motor and you get rid of a lot of through hulls. What I end up with is a re-outfitted boat that I know is ready for sea. I am also rebuilding the rudder (just because). I have a box of brass that I cannot lift.

Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 22:54   #652

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Cape Dory 28

Quote:

Dan
I couldn't stop thinking about that Cape Dory 28 that I wrote about last month so I bought it for $8,000 and sold my Cape Dory 27 for basically an even swap. The new one looks a lot better cosmetically, plus it has a Cape Horn wind vane, a holding tank, a dodger, a self tending jib, roller furling, storm sails, solar panels with voltage regulator and more room among other things.

It is ready to go and as soon as I clean out my Apt. I am off to cruise New England and then parts South after Hurricane season.

Getting rid of the all the land based stuff is the hard part. Not much room for paintings and wide screen TV's on a 28 footer.

PK
Old 04-08-2010, 02:16   #653

Quote:
I'll answer both questions from the last two here.

The boat came with all new standing rigging, roller furler jib, All heavy brass hardware. The deck has been repaired where needed. The boat itself has been stored indoors and is in very good shape. Previous owners took very good care of it. It has good sails and good running rigging. I plan on using it for the "Great Loop" to get to know it. Then replace what needs replacing as far as running goes. I rebuild airplanes for a living so finishing the sanding, faring out, and painting is not even a challenge for me. The mast beam is new laminated oak as well as the supports. New holding tanks came with it also. Things like a new antenna, wind vane, and other interior parts are all new. Comes with Boom vang, Auto tiller, Radio. Any thing associated with the engine goes. Replacing with an electric drive coupled to the existing prop. gives me equivalent 10 to 12 hp plenty to push this boat around. Weight is compensated with 8, 6 volt batteries. motor weighs 22#. batteries weight 600? occupies less area as engine. prop turning while sailing recharges the batteries. I am using all LED lighting cost of less than $200 if not $100.00. Electric motor complete will cost me around $1,100.00 batteries about the same if I go new. Some of the new brass that came with the boat will also be sold as well as the brass window frames. It just defers the cost of new Lexan windows. I just cannot see spending more than $5,000.00 to finish it up. And that is on the high side. No motor and you get rid of a lot of through hulls. What I end up with is a re-outfitted boat that I know is ready for sea. I am also rebuilding the rudder (just because). I have a box of brass that I cannot lift.

Dan
That sounds like a nice setup SD, thanks for filling in the blanks for me. I was glad to hear the decks have been repaired. There was a Triton next to me last year and his decks were terrible ... you bounced around on them like it was a trampoline.

Too bad about the wide screen TV.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34   #654

Dan - unless you are only going to be using the boat inside coastal waters where you will not be needing an engine for more than a couple of hours per day - seriously rethink the electric motor option. As a practical matter, the technology is not yet up to providing more than short intermittent propulsion. If it was we would all be using it.
- - The Caribbean Loop involves virtually dead upwind into the main currents all the way to Antiqua. Then as you turn south the wind will turn southeast and you will be beating all the way to Trinidad or as far south as you wish to go.
- - You would need a Honda i2000eu and a battery charger to even start to keep the batteries up. It is also a good idea to have one in any case as there are times when you need electricity to run tools and other stuff.
- - I would strongly suggest mounting one of those "up/down" outboard mounts on the transom and having a good 9.9 outboard to supplement or replace the electric drive. Wait until you get to the Bahamas to buy the outboard where you can still get new 2-cycle engines which are about half the weight of the 4-cycles outboard sold in the USA. There is an excellent store in Marsh Harbor that has some of the best prices in the Caribbean on outboards. You have to go all the way to St. Martin to get better prices.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24   #655
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Cruising Wrinkles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I read a blog somewhere where the owner fitted an 800watt inverter (I think - memory is sketchy) and had a few mod-cons running 24/7 from the solar power!

Collected rainwater instead of owning a watermaker etc

They managed to spend very little and managed to stay happy, let me dig out the link for you

EDIT

Long distance motor cruising - Is it possible on a small budget?

And I was right, she was re-wired for 12 volt, 24 volt and 240 volt through an 800 watt inverter! And power is generated from four 80 watt solar panels on the upper deck
We have a 400 watt wind generator. The past few weeks it has kept the boat's batteries fully charged running the Shuttle Computer 6 hrs / day 1200 watt -hrs, The stereo 4 hours/ day 400 watt-hrs, interior lights 120 watt-hrs, the printer, and natalie's lap top.

We are adding solar panels to the mix so we can run power tools on our 1200 watt inverter.

HOWEVER....

We are not micro-budget cruising as defined by this thread, as our pension income is $1000/ month.

Mentioned elsewhere is that Pacific Yachting ran an article comparing the equipment of early years to today.

Not mentioned is a comparison of the skills of the past generations and those of today. I'm of the opinion the earlier voyagers were more experienced and skilled, and that made the difference.

Regarding the quip about saving to have a comfortable cruising life, vs going now on the cheap.....

Going now, while you are young, on the cheap, opens new vistas for employment, vistas currently opaque to you.

For example, IBM is eliminating jobs in the US... go to Mish's Blog.. to see the numbers... this is happening across the IT spectrum... those jobs are overseas... if you are overseas, you can get one of them... If you are a teacher, soon to be redundant, and under 45 you can teach in Brunei... China... Asia... for excellent pay, and cheap living... if you are over seas.

I have kept this thread focused upon micro-budget cruisinig because I have seen the opportunities available to those under 45 over seas, and because I know that younger folks do not have the resources to go big budget.

Go simple, go small, but by all means go.....

Fair Winds...!!

INDY
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27   #656
cruiser

Latitude 38 and other resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds780 View Post
PK

Yes, that is an excellent source...!!

Also, check out the listings in Craigs List....

INDY
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36   #657
cruiser

Dear Tradewinds and Skipper Dan:

CONGRATULATIONS !!

Don't forget to visit the website for free navigation pubs.

As for the run to the Virgin Islands, a few suggestions.....

For the person who must go without engine....

Run ICW to Beaufort SC.. in OCT thence outside to Jacksonville.

Provision in Jacksonville....

Cross the gulf stream to the Abacos...In NOV

Gunkhole through the Bahamas until April-May

Ride fronts east and north to 65W 29 N

Then reach down to the Virgins or St. Martin.

Then reach south slowly gunkholing all the way to Grenada / Trinidad.

Fair Winds !

INDY
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47   #658

GoPrisko's "Going now, while you are young, on the cheap, opens new vistas for employment, vistas currently opaque to you. . .

For example, IBM is eliminating jobs in the US... go to Mish's Blog.. to see the numbers... this is happening across the IT spectrum... those jobs are overseas... if you are overseas, you can get one of them... If you are a teacher, soon to be redundant, and under 45 you can teach in Brunei... China... Asia... for excellent pay, and cheap living... if you are over seas.

I have kept this thread focused upon micro-budget cruisinig because I have seen the opportunities available to those under 45 over seas, and because I know that younger folks do not have the resources to go big budget.

Go simple, go small, but by all means go.....
"

That concept is really the most valuable and certainly the most important observation about why "micro-budget" sailing can end up with you being able to eventually afford some "mega-budget" sailing later on.
- - Historically, business/work opportunities have always been migrating all over the planet's landscape. When one area's opportunities dry up a new area of opportunity opens up in a different geographic location. Being able to move to the new locations and take advantage of the new opportunities has always been the trademark of smart, soon to be very well-off, young people. So using the "small - micro-budget" sailboat to cruise to the "greener fields" is a very good idea/concept.
- - Industry after industry has grown fat, old and stagnant and then collapsed and virtually all the workers refuse to move and instead accept poverty as a normal way of life - all the time wondering were the work went. So (to reiterate the best line yet) - "Go simple, go small, but by all means go....."
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
For example, IBM is eliminating jobs in the US... go to Mish's Blog.. to see the numbers... this is happening across the IT spectrum... those jobs are overseas... if you are overseas, you can get one of them...

INDY
An excellent blog that should be mandatory reading for anyone wanting to keep up with what's going on economically.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41   #660

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
So (to reiterate the best line yet) - "Go simple, go small, but by all means go....."

Thank you! I am of the opinion that it can be worth considering...

for anyone with a will strong enough..
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising