Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 13:16   #1
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Chartering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
When I have a charter,the costs are out the window, $500+ a week just in food,im not talking about that, Im talking about by myself in Europe-about $1000-1200 a month, for food, fuels for the stove, Gen,dink,ect-, customs, and oil changes , simple things-no marina fess- I can and do all work myself by the way,and my fridge is a wonderful thing,big enough for me to get in if it was empty- your right those small ones are almost useless-I save money by having a nice fridge, as im able to keep food longer and fresher when you come across those good deals in the market or from farmers- yes you can survive on less then $500 a month for a limited time, but can you really live year in and year out on $500 a month I would say no way, and not in Europe thats for sure, not for long because like I mentioned before things break , people sometimes have accedents or get sick and then theres goes the budget--you have only been out barely 1 year, wait a few more years and you will understand it costs a lot more than $500 a month to live if you count all your expenses- I spend more than that on food, and I dont eat out hardly at all-

-!
I am well aware of how the charter game works... Basically a 5 star hotel on the water.... with cuisine, and amenities to match....

You fail to mention that your guests are paying $2,000 per week each for the experience, 30% of which goes to your broker....

You are running a hospitality business... at the high end... sort of like a Hyatt Hotel... afloat...

The typical size of yacht used for this is now nearly 50 Ft on deck, and in the USVI often 60 ft LOA, including catamarans...

BUT

This has nothing whatever to do with micro-budget cruising....

I'd say that your experience is actually counterproductive...for the purposes expounded here.

INDY
Old 15-07-2010, 02:47   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
I am well aware of how the charter game works... Basically a 5 star hotel on the water.... with cuisine, and amenities to match....

You fail to mention that your guests are paying $2,000 per week each for the experience, 30% of which goes to your broker....

You are running a hospitality business... at the high end... sort of like a Hyatt Hotel... afloat...

The typical size of yacht used for this is now nearly 50 Ft on deck, and in the USVI often 60 ft LOA, including catamarans...

BUT

This has nothing whatever to do with micro-budget cruising....

I'd say that your experience is actually counterproductive...for the purposes expounded here.

INDY
Wow speaking of counterproductive! You Assume a lot and obviously you did not read my post (even though you quoted it) -or perhaps you were not able to comprehend what I posted, I will clarify it . First Please slooow down and reread what I posted=#571- You know Indi -When I see posts with wild assumptions and made up stories it shows that your position is very weak or you would not have to rely on such nonsense! I understand you are trying to prove you are right here but I don’t think that’s what this is all about-its about being real- if you can live on
32 cans Tomatoes
32 cans mushrooms
24 cans olives
4 cans coffee
4 pkgs of 100 Tea bags or lge box of loose tea
20 cans of chicken breast
8 cans of crab
30 cans of tuna
3 bottles of peanut butter
3 bottles of jam
9 cans of peaches
3 cans of cherries
For months at a time and stay in a very limited area then maybe you and a few other folks can do it, but I think 99% of cursers want more out of life than canned tomatoes & mushrooms to live on-you might as well be in jail you will eat better and you will have free health care! How many cruiser have you seen without an engine these days?? I for one have not seen one since I was a kid-On post 581 you mention your annual budget -Entry & Clearance Fees..............$ 150 you also mention $0 for boat Insurance , no mention of fuel for the boat, I could go on and on-makes me wonder if you have really done a circumnavigation in this century- or was this more of your story telling? Dreaming and fantasying is a wonderful thing-I’ve done my share, but if this thread is meant to be some kind of guide for some young people who, have not left the dock yet and have a real time budget of around $500-1000 a month well then lets at least try to be real here- the year is 2010-not the 1960s anymore- In the Med you cannot even check in any country without vessel insurance , the Bahamas entry fee is now $150-300 , and some countries in the Med are priced about the same, and some as cheap as $50- Check in is not cheap in many countries now days, and almost all want proof of vessel insurance!

One more thing , in my previous post, I was not talking about while I’m on charter as I clearly stated, in post 571- I was talking about just me- in a 4 year old boat-with little to replace so far-(1 person) in the Med, the costs of food-fuel- insurance-CUSTOMS fees-oil changes-other routine mantince- and the occasional part replacement-is going to put me over the top x2 - I don’t believe the average sailor can make it on anywhere near $500 today- I say Average sailor-- each day your boat and you get a little older and soon enough things happen, body’s get sick, boats break and then you’re in way over your head-
But we all can dream… nothing wrong with that, as long as you can separate the dreams from reality
Old 15-07-2010, 02:56   #3

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
, but I think 99% of cursers want more out of life than canned tomatoes & mushrooms to live on-you might as well be in jail you will eat better and you will have free health care!

maybe the view and overall ambience would be less appealing?!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising