Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-07-2010, 13:16   #11
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Chartering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
When I have a charter,the costs are out the window, $500+ a week just in food,im not talking about that, Im talking about by myself in Europe-about $1000-1200 a month, for food, fuels for the stove, Gen,dink,ect-, customs, and oil changes , simple things-no marina fess- I can and do all work myself by the way,and my fridge is a wonderful thing,big enough for me to get in if it was empty- your right those small ones are almost useless-I save money by having a nice fridge, as im able to keep food longer and fresher when you come across those good deals in the market or from farmers- yes you can survive on less then $500 a month for a limited time, but can you really live year in and year out on $500 a month I would say no way, and not in Europe thats for sure, not for long because like I mentioned before things break , people sometimes have accedents or get sick and then theres goes the budget--you have only been out barely 1 year, wait a few more years and you will understand it costs a lot more than $500 a month to live if you count all your expenses- I spend more than that on food, and I dont eat out hardly at all-

-!
I am well aware of how the charter game works... Basically a 5 star hotel on the water.... with cuisine, and amenities to match....

You fail to mention that your guests are paying $2,000 per week each for the experience, 30% of which goes to your broker....

You are running a hospitality business... at the high end... sort of like a Hyatt Hotel... afloat...

The typical size of yacht used for this is now nearly 50 Ft on deck, and in the USVI often 60 ft LOA, including catamarans...

BUT

This has nothing whatever to do with micro-budget cruising....

I'd say that your experience is actually counterproductive...for the purposes expounded here.

INDY

Tags
cruising