Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51   #106

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Mario,
Your being realistic concerning budget and boat size so I want to believe your going to succeed.

Me on the other hand, my dream boat keeps getting bigger and so does the list of toys to install in said dream boat. Im doomed to lowering my self to brunching at the Breakers in Palm Beach in hopes of finding a lonely, generous widow.............(joke)
Old 09-05-2010, 13:32   #107

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Honestly if I had $500 a month I would be cruising in style.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28   #108
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Yacht Clubs

Actually Yacht Clubs can serve the budget cruiser...

Most clubs are actively seeking new members, and virtually all know that young people
are always strapped for cash.

While the docks are out of reach for someone on this budget, many clubs offer moorings to members and visitors at about 10% of the cost of a slip. Many of these same clubs offer launch service to those using moorings, and permit boats on moorings to go to a "loading dock" for a short time, generally a few hours at most, to get fuel, water, and load guests and stores.

There are clubs for the wealthy, The New York, Chicago, and Golden Gate come to mind... apparently the St. Francis too. But during races, everyone comes, prices are moderated, and the nearby mooring space is full. So, choose one catering to those on a budget... the Michigan City Club, the Indiana Harbor Club... if you live near Chicago.. The Edison NJ club if you are in the NYC area...

Regarding Free medical care in Martinique, it is part of France, it is on the French system... If you have a serious trauma problem, it is very likely you will be treated, but if you are thinking of a heart transplant, forget it...

I just checked the Budget marine catalog regarding anchors...

But first why 44# bowers for a 30-34 ft boat... the smaller ones have proven over the years to be too light to go down to seabed in the presence of turtle grass and kelp.

The recommendation on the kedges is for the same reason,, the lighter anchors don't reliably go down and into the bottom if there is grass or kelp present.

2 bowers... $ 280

2 Kedges $ 260

70# Luke 3 piece anchor $748

250 ft of 5/16" hightest chain $1500

I know for a fact that if you shop around.... especially for the chain and buy a barrel of it direct, you can beat the Budget marine price by a mile.

You can also shop flea markets, and used marine gear outlets and beat their price on the danforths.

Since the patent ran out... it is quite likely you can shop around and beat their price on the Bowers....

Which brings to mind.... since you are still connected via the internet and landline telephone and are located in CONUS ... you can do these and other deals... saving big bucks... which you can't do out here in the islands... don't think so...

Well, here's the story about my aluminum primer from Sherwin Williams....

A month ago, I ordered 2 gallons of their Seaguard MP epoxy aluminum primer, and 2 gallons of their Seaguard 5000 HS epoxy primer because the delivered price was $60 per gallon, which is cheap for this kind of paint. The MP came in, but they won't deliver it because the other didn't.. We are scheduled to leave shortly for downisland to haulout... I called the VP of sales last week about this... yes, the VP... in Cleveland...

Regarding the wanna be who asks if he really can go budget cruising... that's what this thread is all about... but I'm not going to respond to general questions... make a specific one... Before you do that go back to my post regarding priorities...

HULL DECK RIG FIRST!!!!!!!!

Get a budget together.... yes a budget.... know how much you can spend to outfit the boat.... PRIORITIZE !!! Know where you want to go... about how long it will take... and BUDGET to estimate how much money you need to do the trip...

If that means you don't fix the engine... you don't fix the engine...

If that means you don't fix the head... you get and install a bucket..

If that means you don't have money for an outboard... you row...

If that means you don't have money for redoing the plumbing... you put your water in jerricans... wash dishes in a dishpan... keep things cold using ice in a cooler...

But...

You must have a cooker...
You must have sound sails
You must be able to navigate
You must be able to anchor

INDY
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17   #109

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
FREE FRENCH MEDICAL

Hi Indy,
A very vague answer re FREE FRENCH MEDICAL FOR A NON-FRENCH PERSON. Please elaborate further. A lesser ailment would be treated including hospitalisation and there would be no payment demanded?? Would be nice to know this is true. Please give a positive response with some proof not just a vague sentence. Stating it is " part of the French System " means nothing if this statement is not explained fully.

Clyde
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07   #110

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Over the years threads have been done on the $1K per year theme and after many many posts it comes down to the average cruiser on a FRG sailboat realistically cruises without any restrictions for about an average monthly (annual costs divided by 12) cost of $2K. Cruisers with the need for more amenities to maintain an equivalent to their previous land-side life style average about $3K/mo - that includes some marinas, tours, eating out, buying foods that they have been used to eating most of their life, and a trip home by air each year. There is no daily scrimping but also there is no "splurging" on excessive luxury - just average middle class living. Rich folks with catamarans and lots of "guests" flying down, lots of marinas and partying ashore, etc., etc., are in or above the $4K per month.
- - Age seems to be the most general factor in whether you can "live" on 1/2K per month or need 1K, 2K or 3K. Young folks can be very happy with the "simple" life and have the energy and vitality to cruise very, very economically. They are too busy having fun to be purchasing "comfort of life" accessories for the boat or even hanging around on their boat when in harbor. Hiking and other activities fill up their days for only a few dollars expense.
- - But as you get into your later years, you do not have that amount of energy available to you so you start to use money to make life comfortable with "labor/energy-saving" devices. After decades on the front lines of career and family raising, bouncing around in a tiny boat in a "back-packing" lifestyle gets old very quickly or is not even up for discussion. Simply put getting old is expensive.
- - Where problems arise is when older cruisers try to get by on the "twenty-something" cost of living. Doesn't work.
- - As to fitting out a boat to cruise, again it is all about life-style. People have crossed oceans in bathtubs and canoes and many have done it in sub-30 footers. The less you have on the boat to break the less you have to spend on fixing/maintaining it. Whether you are up to bouncing across the oceans on a cork or want a higher level of comfort will decide how much it costs you to get out there.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47   #111

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Do you really think a budget cruiser would get within spitting distance of the St Francis?
Yes, you would, Yacht Clubs cater to other clubs, And St Francis is a member of PICYA.. the only stipulation is that your club must be over 50 miles from theirs.. This is common amoung many clubs..
Befor you go cruising, you have your club draft a letter stating you are a member in good standing. and if you know your planned route, you send out a simple card to the club you plan on visiting, anouncing that you may be stopping in and an estamated arrival.. ( like the third week in july).
Most all will give you atleast one night up to about two weeks to stay and at times we've stayed, we've been asked to give a talk to the membership about our travels or to answer questions..
Remember that the experance you gain while traveling is worth something to others and they are willing to pay for it.. Many times in free dock space..
As I stated befor, we were headed to Tinsley Island for the weekend..
we did go, had a great time, and many that heard we we're leaving again, spent time to look over our boat, our cruising gear, ask us questions, and gave us pointers on what to look forward to..
we met other cruisers stopping in, talked of their travels and shared in the food and drink privided..
And the cost, I was wrong, as I stated the wife was making a pot of sweet and sour beans to go with the ribs provided..
We also made up a pan of brownees for an after dinner snack..
Pretty cheep for weekend at tinsley....
Right now, we're tied up at Marina West Yacht Club, and were told we could stay until the end of the month if we liked, at NO charge..
In all the years we've been sailing and cruising, we've never been turned away by another club.. They most always have dock space and are your "Port in a Storm" if you ever need to do repairs on your boat or your sails..
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Hi Indy,
A very vague answer re FREE FRENCH MEDICAL FOR A NON-FRENCH PERSON. Please elaborate further. A lesser ailment would be treated including hospitalisation and there would be no payment demanded?? Would be nice to know this is true. Please give a positive response with some proof not just a vague sentence. Stating it is " part of the French System " means nothing if this statement is not explained fully.

Clyde

The "French System" is a "Pay First" system. Then you apply for any reimbursements you may qualify for. If you are a EU citizen, then you'll receive a larger reimbursement than do those who are not EU citizens. For most non-emergencies, you call for a doctor to come to you (About $75) that you pay to the doctor directly, and apply for any reimbursements you may qualify for later. If you goto the hospital, you pay at the end of your visit and then apply for any reimbursements you may qualify for (be it from your own travel insurance, or any other source you've contracted for). Relatively speaking, you can expect a hospital visit for something like a broken arm to cost you a couple hundred dollars before any reimbursements are applied. (A bit higher if you seek out "english speaking" care.

The bottom line is that you ALWAYS pay, and then apply for reimbursement. You don't depart a medical procedure without making a payment. You always pay,and then get reimbursed.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:58   #113
cruiser

Clyde,

Please email me at goprisko@publicresearch.us regarding your enquiry regarding free French
medical care.

In your message explain exactly why you want French Medical care, your nationality, and your present location.

INDY
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17   #114
cruiser

Essentials....

Essentials include the following....

Mandated safety equipment..

For US Yachts - (8M-12M in Length)
Personal protection equipment.
1. One Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board.
2. One buoyant heaving line of not less than 15 m in length
3. One approved life buoy with an outside diameter of 610 mm or 762 mm that is attached to a buoyant line of not less than 15 m in length.
4. A re-boarding device if the freeboard of the vessel is greater than 0.5 m.

Boat safety equipment.
5. One manual propelling device OR an anchor with not less than 15 m of cable, rope or chain in any combination.
6. One bailer
7. One manual water pump fitted with or accompanied by sufficient hose to enable a person using the pump-to-pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel.
8. One Class 10BC fire extinguisher, if the pleasure craft is a power driven vessel, plus another class 10BC fire extinguisher if the pleasure craft is equipped with a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance.

Distress equipment.
9. A watertight flashlight
*10. 12 Canadian approved flares of type A, B, C or D, not more than 6 of which are of type D.
*Exempt from carrying pyrotechnic distress signals if:
Operating in a river, canal or lake in which it can at no time be more than one mile from shore;
OR
Engaged in an official competition or in final preparation for an official competition and has no sleeping arrangements.

Navigation equipment.

11. A sound signaling device or a sound signaling appliance.
12. Navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations.

For most of us this means the following
1 PFD per person
1 throwable PFD with an attached floating line (LifeSling0
Horn
Bell
Anchor and chain
Flashlight
12 Flares
Bailer or bilge pump
2 Fire Extinguishers
Boarding Ladder

These Items you must carry and make allowance for in your budget...

Some things to save money....

The horn can be mouth driven ... this means that a trumpet, bugle, conch shell, or other manual horn suffices...

The boarding ladder can be home made..

The flares can be of any type and very pistol flares are cheapest and last longest..

Extras to consider.....

406 Mhz EPIRB
Smoke signals
Parachute flares
Hand held VHF or VHF
an extra fire extinguisher...

The highest risk of fire aboard is from the cooker... it is essential that sufficient apparatus be available to counter such fires... It is also essential that a fuel shutoff valve be located OUTSIDE THE GALLEY to permit it's shutoff in the event of fire.

One extinguisher should be adjacent to the forward cabin.. it may be necessary to fight the fire from there, to retreat to there, or simply to suppress the fire sufficiently to clamber through the hatch t oexcape.

One extinguisher should be adjacent to the galley.. to permit immediate suppression of fires there.

One extinguisher should be adjacent to the cockpit to permit fighting galley or engine fires.

A fuel shut off for engine fuel should be located outside the engine room to permit closure in the event of and engine fire.

At no time should a fuel tank be installed in the engine room above the engine... this is asking for trouble..

Suitable fire extinguishers are available at CostULess for $25 each... they are cheap insurance..

INDY
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23   #115
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post

In your message explain exactly why you want French Medical care, your nationality, and your present location.

INDY
Thats a great get around

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28   #116
cruiser

Sails and Rigging.....

The last newbie wanted to know if he was ready to go.. and mentioned he had roller furling... a few words about that and other things...

Roller furling does not make you "ready to go"... sailors went about their business centuries before that piece of gear was invented, and likely will do for centuries after the last one is dust.

What makes you ready to go, is having the ability to set appropriate sail for conditions from light airs to gales... Whether this gear has roller furling or not is immaterial.. what matters is the ability to set sail.

The most economical means of setting a jib or staysail is with piston hanks.. period.

Nothing else is as inexpensive to maintain or as flexible, or gives a sail that sets well.

Roller furling is a means of convenience, not a necessity, and not an improvement over hanked on sails.

Before you invest in roller furling...

Have you required safety gear? Plus.. anchor light, anchor ball...

Have you charts an pilots?? Almanac?? Radio Pub and Light Lists??
Stop wiatch, chronometer, sextant, steering compass, hand bearing compass, hand lead. monkey fist???
Have you an awning, dodger, sound cockpit drains... sound plumbing, sound wiring??

Tight hull, sealed hull deck joint, tight deck, tight hatches, leakproof windows,..
Sound companionway slides and hatch, sound hatches????

Sound standing and running rigging???

Winches or handibillies to hoist and tension halyards??? Sheets???

A suitable dinghy?? oars for it?? sailing rig for it???

A cooker???
An Ice box???

PRIORITIZE !!!!!!

INDY
Old 10-05-2010, 12:44   #117
cruiser

Cost of Cruising....

Bernard Montissier once was asked how much cruising cost and replied "whatever you have"... Certainly one can adopt that approach...

If you are following this thread while cruising in a boat larger than 35 ft.. and 42 - 53 ft certainly qualify in this regard... that larger boat was your choice, and the larger cruising budget that goes with it is your choice...

Regardless, you likely do have cruising wrinkles to contribute for those in smaller boats to permit them to get along on their smaller budget...

Consider...

" Younger people quite often do go off on $500 / month budgets and fill their time with socializing with their peers, backpacking, hiking, mountain climbing...etc..."

What's wrong with that??? Sounds good to me !!

At 63, I climb Crown Mountain every day... I hike everywhere, the bus doesn't go...
I love socializing with my peers aboard... as a matter of fact I had neighbors over for tea last night... cost only a few pennies... and we had fun !!

Key to cruising on a budget of $ 500 / month is controlling your urge to replace time and effort with money out the door...

OR as my French Friends would say... " spend what you have... if you have no money and lots of time... spend time to save money..."

AND please don't tell me that it is required for US Citizens to pay taxes for nuclear bombs to blow the world to smithereens, until they earn sufficient cash to cruise in a condo...preferably after age 65 when they are in wheel chairs...

When a man or couple decides to go cruising is their business, this thread is here to help them go sooner, not later...

What I'd like to see more of .. is ideas which contribute to that end...

INDY
Old 10-05-2010, 12:48   #118
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:

The most economical means of setting a jib or staysail is with piston hanks.. period.

INDY

Hey Indy!

Hang on for a sec.

You are just streaming pages and pages of utter mindless rubbish. How about going on a cruise before you dictate to other people.

Its great you are using a computer to express your thoughts and make check lists, but really, ol son, you must filter your ravings

Over and Out.

Mark
(I hate it when I hear that.. over and Out. anyway its prolly approprite )

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54   #119

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
The last newbie wanted to know if he was ready to go.. and mentioned he had roller furling... a few words about that and other things...

Roller furling does not make you "ready to go"... sailors went about their business centuries before that piece of gear was invented, and likely will do for centuries after the last one is dust.

Phoooey -- 50 years ago some guy was saying the same thing about woodies over GRP boats!

What makes you ready to go, is having the ability to set appropriate sail for conditions from light airs to gales... Whether this gear has roller furling or not is immaterial.. what matters is the ability to set sail.

Not if the boat you buy has a furler on it. <<<----period

Nothing else is as inexpensive to maintain or as flexible, or gives a sail that sets well.

One hank on left to flog because the newbie is too scared or otherwise unable to go to the foredeck and wrestle it down in a squall is a hell of a lot more expensive than the furler. What's the cost of furler maintenance? A new furling line every 5 years? Maybe spray silicone on the track every year?

Roller furling is a means of convenience, not a necessity, and not an improvement over hanked on sails.

Before you invest in roller furling...

Have you required safety gear? Plus.. anchor light, anchor ball...

Have you charts an pilots?? Almanac?? Radio Pub and Light Lists??
Stop wiatch, chronometer, sextant, steering compass, hand bearing compass, hand lead. monkey fist???
Have you an awning, dodger, sound cockpit drains... sound plumbing, sound wiring??

Meh, sextants and chronometers are cool but they are luxuries. 2-3 hand held GPS cost far less.

Tight hull, sealed hull deck joint, tight deck, tight hatches, leakproof windows,..
Sound companionway slides and hatch, sound hatches????

Sound standing and running rigging???

Winches or handibillies to hoist and tension halyards??? Sheets???

A suitable dinghy?? oars for it?? sailing rig for it???

A cooker???
An Ice box???

PRIORITIZE !!!!!!

INDY
This is all about outfitting a boat though . . . outfitting a boat inexpensively is mostly about buying a boat that doesn't need much because everything marine is expensive (some necessarily and justifiably so and some not). Didn't you tell us this was a blog about how 2 people can cruise on a budget of 500 mo.?

Where are you from George? I thought you were from Indiana, but I have to put on my Sean Connery voice to make sense of your posts ("have you a dingie" "handbillies" and "cookers"?).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think cruising must be so expensive as to be out of the reach of the average person who is committed to making it a reality, and, I think its great to encourage people to cruise as soon as they are able (financially or otherwise) -- I just worry about encouraging them to cruise before they are able.
Old 10-05-2010, 13:21   #120

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Thread Explosion

Thanks Mark I quiet agree the guys on a trip of his own, obviously another circumnavigation. We still don't have his reply on that FREE medical attention and the latest ramblings can go anywhere.
Enjoy the Med Mark go to France if you feel a twinge or an itch

Clyde

Tags
cruising