Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 18:42   #1

Cruising from Port Everglades to the BVI

I have been fortunate enough to get some wonderful help from several individuals whom I found though the Cruisers Forum. I now thought it might be a helpful idea to open it up as a topic on the Forum. In February next year I am planning to sail my Catamaran (55') from Port Everglades on the Florida Coast to the BVI, where I plan to secure the vessel for the hurricane season and then return the vessel for the following cruising season, where upon I'll sail south to Australia.
I have done the voyage from the BVI to Australia on this vessel once before, however the run from Florida to the BVI will be a new experience. So far my research ha confirmed that I should run down through the Bahamas to the windward passage and then along the South coast of the Dominican Republic and via Puerto Rico and the USVI to the BVI.
I would love to communicate with anyone who can give me any routing, weather or cruising tips such as weather, fuel and safe shelter both along the route and for the hurricane season, for my intended trip. Thanks JW
Fantazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 00:57   #2

Boat: Tayana 52
Re: Cruising from Port Everglades to the BVI

We've done the same trip - you need a copy of 'The gentle mans guide to Passages South' by Bruce Van Sant. Some useful tips.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:25   #3

Boat: Boatless

An Alternative View

We have done the trip from South Florida 4 times by various routes and the easiest way was the one referred to as the Professional I 65 route.

Go due east from South Florida out to 65W and turn then turn south sailing the trades. We actually found the trades at 67W and sailed south east. We did the trip in just under 10 days on two occasions.

At times going east you have to sail a little north of east but it is far easier than bashing into the trades and current. Best time to set off from Florida is on the back of the northerly lows which give westerly and then northerly winds once you are across the Gulf Stream. This is the fastest delivery route and often uses a lot of fuel but it is not as interesting as the 'Thorny Path' that might take weeks but it certainly can be easier.

Certainly going east south of Hispaniola is usually easier than going east north of the Islands but if you hit the trades when they are out of the east at 20+ knots you will still have a rough time.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with Moondancer.

Just add that if you can leave in January you will be better off as you will get more NE trades. Each month after they come further SE.

Its not a bad trip. I did it from Key West via New Providence Channel direct to St Martin.

Take a full load of fuel and if you need it, use it, before you turn right on I65. You shouldn't need much after that.

An AIS Transponder is handy for the Florida Straits and NP Channel.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14   #5

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post

... Best time to set off from Florida is on the back of the northerly lows which give westerly and then northerly winds once you are across the Gulf Stream.
I'm not now taking this route, but I have left West Palm Beach on the back of a northerly low. I found the north winds against the gulf stream made for a bumpy ride. Are you advocating crossing the stream with winds from the north?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I'm not now taking this route, but I have left West Palm Beach on the back of a northerly low. I found the north winds against the gulf stream made for a bumpy ride. Are you advocating crossing the stream with winds from the north?

If you read the line of Moondancers that you quoted it says " once you are across the Gulf Stream". That means after the Gulf Stream. Or Beyond... or east of...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising