Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 11:12   #1

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Cruising

Hi All this is from the spammer guy who are trying to get as much information from all of you as he can ..
A thing I was wondering about was plain and simple if I was going to make a long term sailing plan, and I estimated that I would be sailing approximately 600 NM per month will this be a lot or normal here I haven’t take the long hauls e.g.. Atlantic crossing and Pacific crossing how much is an avenge water sailing">Blue water sailing per month
Old 13-04-2014, 12:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Cruising

Hi Mike. I think the question that you ask is as individual as the sailor, his cruising area and his goals. If I were to go from here (Oregon) to Hawaii, I would do over 2000 miles the first month, then enjoy Hawaii for a while (2-3 months?) before moving on. You are looking at a multihull, which would cruise faster than my boat, but may hold less supplies so you may need to go into port more.
Also, different people have different comfort levels about being away from land. Some people love to be on the boat, (my wife and I) and others prefer partying on the docks.
You will just have to go out and figure it out. Don't worry- if you are prepared voyaging is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	523.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	79307  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:25   #3

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

i do agree with you there i¨m looking at cats but it was more in there area of sailing around the world .. that is also why i did not take the Atlantic crossing and other long hauls in my estimating i have made a rough estimate on i would be sailing 600 pr month i was just wondering if that would be high or low for an avenge boat ...
Old 13-04-2014, 13:32   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mike, I'm not sure if your question has a real answer, but one can supply personal history.

So, we have been cruising full time since October 1986. There was one 18 month period where we had to return to work for fiscal reasons, but continued to live aboard. There were three other periods where medical events kept us from travelling, totaling about 17 months.

During that time frame we have logged about 135,000 miles.

You can do the math however you think appropriate, and find out for yourself.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-04-2014, 13:37   #5

We seem to be averaging about 5000 miles a year.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:54   #6

It might also depend on what that you were cruising for , what is your goal . When we cruise miles do not have very much to do with it . We cruise looking for fun and interesting things and places/people . If we are having fun then why would we move on ? We stay somewhere as long as its fun !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising